Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Car Movies ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsanchez, Oct 30, 2005.

1. dsanchez

dsanchez
    BANNED
    from Burnham,IL

I just watched for the first time HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS, I died laughing !! I'm curious if their are anymore movies like that AMERICAN GRAFFITI, and so on!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Do movies from the 1930's count? If so James Cagney in "The Crowd Roars" is a must see, they used real Indy Car drivers and some of the best dirt track racing footage of the day. [​IMG]

3. While not a car movie per se, "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" has tons of location shots (filmed in '60 I think) featuring all kinds of vehicles form Willy's wagons, Mopar taxi cabs, tow trucks, Phil Silver's 46 Ford Convert, all kinds of stuff. The chase scene in the end is great, you get to see all sorts of everyday vehicles, old gas stations, neon signs, bilboards and such.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

5. 60s classic ...

[​IMG]

6. KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

A couple are "Two Lane Blacktop", " Vanishing Point", Have you ever seen the original " Gone in sixty seconds" ? It has one of the best car chase sceens ever made in my opinion. "Fast Eddie" ..

Jonney

7. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Not all car movies, but have some neat car scenes

High School Confidential - Barris '47 Chevy coupes and others
    The Blob - Bunch of hot rods
    Delinquent Daughters
    Hot Rod Gang - misc rods
    Hot Car Girl - Barris- Monteleone Ford
    For Those Who Think Young - Barris Villa Riviera
    Marriage on the Rocks - Barris - Thunderbird
    and, of course:
    Rebel Without a Cause

8. Snafu

Snafu

60's muscle cars......doesn't get any better than "Dazed and Confused" :)

9. Don't forget "HOT ROD " thats a great drage race movie ..

10. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

The California Kid is one of my favs..

11. I second some of the previous pics, and would like to add "Thunder Road", a 50's flick about moonshiners with Bob Mitchum.

12. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

For racing themes:

Grand Prix with James Garner (especially of you can catch it on the big-screen)
    Winning with Paul Newman
    Heart Like a Wheel with Bonnie Bedelia
    Le Mans with Steve McQueen

13. The original "SPEED"...! with Jimmy Stewart from 1936 Has Muroc and Indy footage and somewhat resembles the Hilborne story.

"Hot Rod" with the street racing Willys

"Two Lane Blacktop" with one very "Bad Ass" 55 !

14. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

I dont remember the name of the movie but has any one seen
    a Movie about a stock car driver starring Richard Pryor.
    He was young moonshine runner with a hopped up ford that decided to get into racing. The other racers didnt want him on the track but he kept at it and got good.
    His tow vehicle was this bitchin Kustom chevy truck that was kinda like the KOPPER KART.
    It must be from the 70's

15. GR-RRR

GR-RRR
    from Cent. Neb.

Bullet with Steve McQueen has one of the best chase scenes. The mustang and the charger. Not really a car movie.

16. Wyld Deuce

Wyld Deuce
    from ...

Lots of great car movies out there, as to similar to Amercan Graffiti and Hollywood knights.........look for Hometown USA.

17. demonspeed

demonspeed

"return to macon county" is kind of cool. They play it on tv sometimes. It seems like it has the same general idea as two lane blacktop (2 kids driving across the country to go to a big drag race, lots of street racing and sex along the way etc...) It's not gonna win any oscars but theres some cool cars in it though. Theres a yellow tri five chevy with flames and a crazy motor as the main car and they race against a pretty nice shoebox ford that ends up being on screen a lot. It's pretty cool but I still havent seen two lane blacktop and i think that movie would be better

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

19. Mutt

Mutt

20. muffman58

muffman58

It was Greased Lightning, the story of Wendell Scott the black stockcar driver of the 50-60s. I think the tow vehicle was a cutdown Caddy!

21. rumblytruck

rumblytruck

Great Movie! Richard Pryor did a great job. The tow car was either a cut down
    hearse/ ambulance or flower car. Thunder Road is one of my favorites. It's been a few years since I've seen Hot Rod, I need to watch it again.

22. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Boulevard NIghts (70's lowriders)

23. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

The Dallas TV guide says Turner Classic Movie Channel is running "Thunder Road Saturday at 5:15 pm. I saw it at the movies when I was about 13 years old and knew that I wanted to be a moonshiner when I grew up. Didn't work out though. Rusty:p

24. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

"Too Fast, Too Furious".......great flick! Barris at his best...

I watched that Hot Rod to Hell (I think) and I'll tell ya what. I'd like to knock the main character's teeth out! :rolleyes: I guess he did a good job of playing that part.

25. Chester

Chester
    from At work

Barris did not build those cars. They were built by Eddie Paul.

26. krooser

krooser

To Please A Lady...Clark Gable, Barabra Stanwyck, GrandPa Walton...Great dirt track midget and big car racing...and Indy stuff...they rebuild an Offy engine, too!

Attached Files:

27. Maybe someone else can remember the the title to this one. It was a story where this low buck racer with a Willys rolls into town for the big upcoming drag race. The sponser name in the movie I think was "Muntz Root Beer" and they of course want their guy to win. The "bad guys" are afraid of the guy with the Willys so one night they steal the Wilys and take off in first gear until they blow the engine. Then some other guys help the low buck racer out etc...the actor was a tall thin blonde haired guy - anyway it was a TV movie in the 70's if I remember correctly.:D Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

28. "Hot Rod" mentioned above

29. ALL RIGHT! Thank you I have often thought about that movie and could never remember the title of it.:D Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

30. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry is pretty good. I feel sorry for that poor 69 Charger though.:(