Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you want vintage then condition is more important than make or model. I have had success searching for "vintage" in the RV section of ad web sites.

A lot depends where you are. Some of the finest trailers were made in California and were mainly sold there. Brands like Westwood, Airfloat, Boles Aero, and Streamline. There were other fine trailers made in the midwest like Spartan and Avion. What trailers were sold in the Southeast I don't know. The only one that comes to mind is M Systems.

Toilet facilities were considered a luxury item in the fifties and were not usually found in a canned ham trailer but were in some larger models. Became more common in the late 60s and into the seventies. But that gets you out of the streamlined birchwood lined era and into the white box era.

Shasta has practically a cult following but I don't care for them. They were a cheap mass produced trailer with nothing to distinguish them from thousands of others. You need to be careful of so called restored trailers, a lot of the time they are rot boxes or have other issues covered up with cute paint and upholstery.

Have you seen any models that caught your eye?

loudbang likes this.
  2. I suggest anyone interested in purchasing a vintage camper join the Vintage Camping trailer web site,there is a few hambers on there and everybody is willing to help and offer a lot of information. HRP

http://vintagetrailertalk.freeforums.net/

loudbang likes this.
  3. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0046.JPG My latest build , 39 Ford C.O.E. married to a flood victim 62 Airstream.

4. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

IMG_0223.JPG Inside so far.

Okie Pete, five-oh, Latigo and 5 others like this.
  5. Found a scam on Craigslist in Los Angeles and San Diego last night. The ad is for a 1964 Airstream Bambi for $2500.00. I suspected it was a scam from the beginning (you know what they say about deals too good to be true) but I called anyway, and received a text back, asking for an email address to send more pics, etc. I didn't figure I had anything to lose (I already get more junk mail than I can count, so what's a little more?) This is the reply I got back: "

Thank you for being interested in purchasing my 1964 Air-stream Bambi II, Length (feet): 17'. Everything works on this very well kept the trailer. Very clean on the inside. All electrical and plumbing are in working order. Replacement tinted windows and new aluminum micro blinds. All copper plumbing replaced with PEX/Sharkbite fittings for freeze protection. Fire extinguisher and talking smoke/CO detector for safety..Everything works ready to start making memories.
    I am selling it for $2,500. Because of my divorce settlement, I own this trailer and I don't need it, so I'm trying to sell it asap. I gave the trailer to eBay shipping company in Omaha, NE who will deliver it to the next owner. Shipping and handling is free and you can receive it in 2-4 days depending on the destination. The best part about this is You are granted a 5 day trial period for inspection and test drive prior to making the purchase and also if for any reason you are not satisfied with the trailer you can have it shipped back at no expense for you of inspection and shipping for free. I will post it on eBay and I will send you the link where you can buy it very easy without an account or something hard. I have 876 feedback on eBay. You will pay on eBay and they will hold your payment until you receive and inspect the trailer. eBay will release the money to me ONLY with your approval.

If you are interested to buy it, reply me back your zip code and phone number. I need to verify if I have free shipping in your area.

Thanks,

Jessica Thomas"

Figured I'd post it up here, i case it reaches further tham just SoCal. So many red flags.....like I gave it to an ebay shipper and ebay this and ebay that (funny, I responded to a Craigslist ad, what's ebay got to do with it? And, free shipping back and forth so you can inspect it! At least they made me laugh!

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

if you do a nation wide craigslist airstream search, many times the bambi shows up with a crazy low price, and the same photos with a slightly different ad. your ad is very odd. never seen one with the ebay connection before, and i dont understand how they would win if it actually was posted to ebay. ebay is set up for the buyers to be safe and in many cases the seller can be screwed. i am not in any way saying go for it, i agree its a scam, but a different one than i've seen. personally, any craigs ad that does not have a phone number does not get my business.

thefalconer likes this.
  7. thefalconer

thefalconer

You should just get a nice camper and get a Porta potty for in the closet. If that's not good enough, I've seen campers as small as a Shasta compact model to have a small wet bath (shower and toilet) with out a ton of work. Hope you find one!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

flatheadpete likes this.
  8. If you see a Airstream Bambi cheap it's most likely a scam.

We have a 1957 Shasta and have a porta potty,I guess it depends on what you must have instead of what you need to get by.

We love the small vintage look of the canned hams. HRP

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Those scumbags come up with something new every day to swindle money from people.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's exactly what ours has. I have yet to actually use it but I did pull it around a bit. My Caprice wagon didn't even have to try. I also finished the interior walls with pallet boards. I'll post pics later.

11. atch

atch

Toilet is predicated on sweetie's refusal to walk outside in the middle of the night to pee and her refusal to use a port-a-potty. If it was just me I'd sleep in Clarence. I've done it many times and could/would do it again. Sweetie just won't go with me in those circumstances. Also I'm not up for any more projects; like installing a toilet in an existing "dry" camper. I'm not good at projects and won't live long enough to finish what I've got going now.

R A Wrench and loudbang like this.
  12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Go to the Vintage Trailer Group and see how I installed a toilet into our 12 foot 1962 Santa Fe. It's not tooo bad or difficult.

loudbang likes this.
  13. atch

atch

Help me out with a hint; the thread name or some words in it or something (maybe a link?). I've been searching every way I can think of and haven't found it yet.

Thanx.

loudbang likes this.
  14. atch

atch

Is this the thread?

(if it is) I see the sink plumbing. Is there a toilet?

15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

loudbang likes this.
  16. About that time of year to wash the dirt and cobwebs off and go camping. HRP

17. Andy,did you ever get your camper back together? HRP

18. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The canned ham kit looks like a cool idea. If you want to build your own vintage trailer I can show you a few different plans, here is a good web site. You don't have to buy a kit, most materials are available locally or can be ordered off the net.

Here are some different style trailers from the 30s to the 50s that you can build/

Vintage Teardrop Trailer Plans

Shadow Creek, loudbang and LowKat like this.
  20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Andrus Lake 2.jpg
    Here's a bump and maybe a request to move this to the 'Antiquated' section.
    This pic is from last weekend about 6 miles northwest of Paradise, MI...6 miles south of the top of MI.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Okie Pete, crashfarmer and enloe like this.
  21. Here's some pics of the 1947 KIT "Sportsman" teardrop camper trailer that we were going to tow behind our full-fendered '32 Roadster and/or the HEMI32 coupe:

1947 KIT Sportsman - 1.jpg
    1947 KIT Sportsman - 2.jpg
    1947 KIT Sportsman - 3.jpg
    1947 KIT Sportsman - 4.jpg
    1947 KIT Sportsman - 5.jpg
    1947 KIT Sportsman - 6.jpg

We added some "matching" tires & rims** and started the initial "bodywork" ... but I kinda lost interest in the project ... and eventually sold it in 1991.

** NOTE: our '32 Roadster ran a set of chromed 1950-60 Chrysler (Motor Rim) wire wheels (with repro 1932 Ford V8 hubcaps) ... so for the trailer we also opted for Chrysler wires ... except we painted them '56 Cadillac Mandan Red (same as the HEMI32 coupe) ... and added some stainless beauty rings off of a later model Volvo.

Okie Pete, brEad, 36 ROKIT and 2 others like this.
  22. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

A Scotty followed me home the other day. It needs some work, but seems pretty solid. Did a quickie Rust oleum scotty rusty.jpg paint job on it for the rest of this season and will dig into it more in depth next year, if the family enjoys camping..

23. intuitive iron

intuitive iron

Nice, there's a Scotty club with tons of info.. They're neat little campers..Enjo

loudbang likes this.
  24. Restoring my Airstream. All the way down to the frame . Replaced lots of steel .started putting new wood for floor back in . Hopefully my new tanks and axels will be in soon .
    B37AF6EE-A832-467E-9381-E26E17D8B095.jpeg 5D325C95-EBB3-4F70-ADCE-6FBB3114DB65.jpeg 30B44074-3254-48F7-B65E-2524F034D6D2.jpeg E613AE11-A5E2-4AE1-AF21-FB889E4A36E5.jpeg 5999768D-E6D5-4844-88AA-1E19F55265D1.jpeg BD7E69CE-CD9F-4DFF-9F6F-1F0752AFE020.jpeg E6D1AE80-3337-4171-A903-C6000579D409.jpeg 71E22957-89CE-42D4-9244-A8029C3A107A.jpeg 0DD29DA5-DCA9-4334-9374-F2B6B71C49AC.jpeg 54DFB57C-3914-4ECD-9B34-6C048BDC319A.jpeg

25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Good Lord Blue how many projects do you have

loudbang and JOYFLEA like this.
  26. Enlow , my wife told me that she wanted me to put this together for and be finished by the end of February. She’s been good to me and we’ve had this for four years . This is what she wanted to pull with the wagon . So it’s a big hunny do . Working on it about 40 hours a week. 20 on the COE . Sure keeps me out of the bars .

Okie Pete, brEad, NoSurf and 4 others like this.
  27. Looks good so far. HRP

JOYFLEA likes this.
  28. Memory is not what it was , might have posted this already , so here is a pic of my camper , I have had the truck 21yrs and the camper was built about 18yrs ago . The truck is a daily and the camper is on for a lot of the summer months.
    100_4445.JPG
    17951615_1540771592624247_3984691061889682542_n.jpg

29. YJ4000

YJ4000

That is cool as.... Well you know.