Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

ratrodO can I ask where you get your wheel opening trim?

2. J D Coop

J D Coop

My '57 Field & Stream

Camper (2).jpg

Camper (3).jpg
    Camper (4).jpg
    Camper (5).jpg
    Camper (6).jpg

Okie Pete, Reds 29, ME.GASSER and 5 others like this.
  3. IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1405.JPG IMG_1404.JPG IMG_1403.JPG Here's one I built. Finished last August. Used a cut down boat trailer to make it serious enough for more remote camping/light off-roading. I need to get started building my model A to pull it with. The last 3 pics are from my trip to LSRU.

4. Very nice, I like the larger size. Where do you store those neat tables at the rear?

loudbang likes this.
  5. The curved legs store in the tongue box and the tops store between the cooler and the hatch door. The box size is 5' x 9'. This fits both the Coleman medical cooler AND a queen size Tempurpedic 6" thick mattress. Most comfortable 'tent' I've ever slept in.

Speedys Garage and loudbang like this.
  6. VERY cool; great design!

7. Karrera

Karrera

My 1988 Eriba Triton - German travel trailer that weighs only 1400 lbs.

[​IMG]

Okie Pete, 36 ROKIT and brEad like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-5-2_5-8-8.png upload_2017-5-2_5-8-21.png
    Hello,

Many years ago I was invited to one of many car club picnics and breakfast gatherings in So Cal. This was a time when street rods were plentiful and fun drivers for everyone. Back then, it was easy to stop and chat with those guys/girls driving their hot rods whenever one was seen on the street. In our neck of the woods, it was a common occurance to see a hot rod or two driving somewhere during the week. The weekends had the club picnics and great pancake breakfast gatherings.

Today, it is not a daily thing to see a hot rod going to and from work. But, if you go to the weekend, early morning, Saturday shows like Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach, CA, then the chatting takes place there. In just about any sunny weekend day, in any town or city, the hot rods come out to play. These events, popular nostalgia, and the recent reality TV shows involving hot rods, customs, and trucks has made the public interest in cars, cool, again.

Recently, I was watching a Fast and Loud TV episode of the Mattel Econoline Pickup build and presentation. Since Mattel is a very prominent So Cal icon, it was fun watching the show. I saw an old friend, Larry Wood, in the design team grouping giving the “OK” for this custom fantasy pickup on becoming a special, Hot Wheels Redline Model.
    upload_2017-5-2_5-10-30.png upload_2017-5-2_5-10-45.png upload_2017-5-2_5-11-5.png
    upload_2017-5-2_5-19-46.png 2017
    Who is Larry Wood? To So Cal car enthusiasts, he is well known. To others, well, here is one of his Early Cars in the Early Days for an EARLY TIMES member.
    upload_2017-5-2_5-20-48.png
    Larry Wood, a well known Mattel Car Designer, was part of the Early Times Hot Rod Club. I met him at one of the many local, car club, pancake breakfasts held at the So Cal neighborhood parks. This 29 Ford Pickup was one of his many cool builds over the years. He added a custom-made wooden camper on the back over a strengthened pickup bed. It was 55 inches of bed space made for a neat and compact camper in the bed of the 29 Ford Pickup. It was an unusual build as there were no other homemade campers to be built onto any old pick ups, let alone one that was a cool hot rod at the time. Ford motor, Corvette rear end, huge Bridgestone rear tires…etc. a quality build for sure.

Jnaki

I have lost contact with him since way back in those days…(life, intervenes) But, "Times they are a changing…"
    upload_2017-5-2_5-22-39.png Discovery photo upload_2017-5-2_5-30-21.png
    Thanks, Todd...

Location: Terminal Island looking toward San Pedro/Wilmington Harbor waterfront.

upload_2017-5-2_5-31-41.png
    A very similar truck avatar from HAMBER: Winged Express, in KY.

9. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

62 Yellowstone. Late last summer. Its alot different now and in its resting spot.This will be a static version. We can use this like a building or party shed along our river front and because its on wheels and has a plate...no taxes!!!! P1010103.JPG P1010106.JPG P1010111.JPG

Okie Pete, loudbang, 36 ROKIT and 3 others like this.
  10. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

And my 58 Yellowstone. this one will be for the road. P1010058.JPG P1010057.JPG

Okie Pete, loudbang, 36 ROKIT and 3 others like this.
  11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

FEDCOSPEED - What was the source of the ribbed metal? It looks new

12. Gofannon

Gofannon

The "ribbed metal" can be made in a sheet metal folder. Set the stop so it folds just enough to form a crease, then move the sheet through at even spacing.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

A company called Vintage Technologies in Michigan. I think i bought 8 4x10 sheets.Only place close to me that I found with matching material I had. Polished with a plastic film on it. Went and picked it up. I kept all the old stuff too. The old grade and the new grade are different and wont polish up the same put side by side.Try and keep as much of your old stuff as possible.Because of my moving around of windows,total replacement had to be done.
    Just like working on a car kind of. I have more money in the birch molding than I paid for the camper itself.Engine turned counter top and back splash the same thing.( Ridgetized Metals, Buffalo NY).
    Window gaskets, Vintage camper supply in Vermont.I will buy my awning from Marti,s Awnings in Cal.

Good source for parts is Vintage campers.com in Indiana. One thing that became apparent right away
    is how rabid nuts people are for old campers!!!

loudbang and brEad like this.
  14. Here's my Scotty camper set up at Steel in Motion over the weekend.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Steel in Motion ~ after dark!

Barry's (ratrodO) cool little Scotty.

HRP

[​IMG]

16. I just saved this early '60s caravan from the scrap . I have no use for it and will sell it , to someone who will restore it and use it I hope .
    It has no interior, but has an all alloy frame and steel chassis in good order . Very re-buildable . DSCF1756.JPG

Okie Pete, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  17. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Just really started to get into mine . Long way to go! 61 Shasta 10
    Ft compact [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. If you want to use the original style aluminum siding Barry can help you with that. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  19. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

brEad, loudbang and jim snow like this.
  20. You do realize there are child labor laws in South Carolina! :D HRP

JOYFLEA likes this.
  21. DONS

DONS

My friend Kieth has had this truck and camper since 1976. We can't find any brand mark on it anywhere. He used it for surfing, playing in the desert and even towed a trailer loaded with VW engines back from Iowa with it. He still drives the heck out of it. Last October took a trip from Huntington Beach to Bishop for a car show.

IMG_4794.JPG

Okie Pete, Dusty-NZ, rjones35 and 6 others like this.
  22. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Took the 55 and Scotty to a good size show this past weekend with a couple of friends in their 57. We set up together and gave camper tours all day. I usually don't do the car show thing , but these guys enjoy polishing and I enjoy sitting under a shade tree. So it worked out for the both of us. 0611170918.jpg

Okie Pete, brEad and loudbang like this.
  23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg A few from around the campground in Bowling Green

Okie Pete, loudbang and cheepsk8 like this.
  24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

25. I really like this old home built motor home/camper..it's jut funky enough to be cool! HRP

[​IMG]

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

27. thefalconer

thefalconer

Okie Pete, chriseakin, brEad and 6 others like this.