Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. 60 ford

60 ford

Wow those are some awesome campers, great pics.

2. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I would take one of these over any hundred thousand motor home any day of the week

3. scotts52

scotts52

Whats the name of the show? I'd like to look for it later to see if I can tape it.

4. Extreme RV's

Looks like they're rerunning the episode at 12E/11C.

5. scotts52

scotts52

Great. It is set to record. I have an old 1948 Detroiter. Looks like a canned hamb. All flat aluminum side panels. A real POS. needs completely torn apart and rebuilt. I always wanted and old polished up canned hamb and saw it for sale cheap and jumped on it. My wife doesn't get it but we'll see what she has to say about it when its fixed up.:D

6. dan sutton

dan sutton

Scott
    That is what my wife thought at one time. That was 17 builds and/or restorations ago, including some that were polished, Now she is really getting into them, making curtains, quilts and such. Currently have a wood strip teardrop, a '70 Yukon, a one-of-a-kind '57 Metzendorf, and just sold a '69 Scotty. Here is a shot of a '60 Scotty that I polished

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. rpol7966

rpol7966

I've had interest in the vintage trailers for a long time. I just posted an ad in the classifieds for my '64 Frolic. I'd like to sell it and concentrate on getting my '41 Ford pickup done by spring!
    Anyway, the old trailers are cool and speak volumes of a by gone era.

Attached Files:

8. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

Been thinking about a teardrop behind my 50 woodie,this thread really gets me fired up for another project.

9. A couple more "traditional" pics.

Attached Files:

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Here's an update on the Tini-Home project, which has it's own build thread here called "Canned Hamb". It's coming along.

Attached Files:

11. Dchaz

Dchaz

got this little pop up today. I found on on you-tube just like it labled as a 1965 Apache, but the comments everyone seems to think its a Appleby, so I dont know for sure what it is. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

12. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

It does resemble an Apache, but what points me toward Appleby is the flat sheet metal covering the trailer tongue area. Look at the pictures below and you'll see what I mean. The Apache is on the left, Appleby on the right.

You can find more Appleby photos here:

http://incolor.inebraska.com/elassley_bie/appleby/appleby.html

Attached Files:

13. Dchaz

Dchaz

That's it on the left, the clamps are even in the same place. Thank you Mr. Mayo! I'm off to see if I can find some pictures with it open.

14. modeleh

modeleh

In the spirit of the black and white photo of the Ford trucks and campers posted on previous page, here is my truck and camper.
    [​IMG]

15. modeleh

modeleh

Here we are ready to head out with the propane fired hot tub on a trailer that I built. The 2 piece lid is lifted off and pinned into brackets on the side, making 2 large steps to help drunken campers safely make their way in and out. The tail lights are early Cougar units mounted vertical. Sorry the motorbike isn't vintage.
    [​IMG]

Here is an idea of how it is setup. This was behind my old Barth motorhome that I used to have.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    northernmerc likes this.
  16. modeleh

modeleh

Inside of Camper. Original turquoise vinyl upholstery. It is a '67 Galaxie.
    [​IMG]

northernmerc likes this.
  17. modeleh

modeleh

Here we are ready to head out for the weekend with our 1960 Airstream Safari.
    [​IMG]

northernmerc likes this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love the portable home made hot tub!!

20. Karrera

Karrera

I had a 1968 Appleby and I met another guy who lives about three miles from me that had one as well. That looks just like the two I've seen. The Apache models had the entrance at the rear end of the trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Here's an old GMC motorhome I see at car shows in our area:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah...It's big! I would be very tempted to swap out the "GMC" letters for "BIG" !!!

22. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

Home built trolley top camper. All aluminum................Yes, it's a toy only 4' long..............i was bored

Attached Files:

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice rig. It'd be hard to choose between that and towing the A/S! The truck camper interior is killer.

Brian

24. Clik

Clik

If I had more time I'd like to build a canned ham like that. I like the wash tub fenders that I had't noticed before.

Do you have any build details? Wall material, etcetera?

25. Wow! That is big! I wonder what powers it, 401 V6?

[​IMG]

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, it may be big, but it sure is ugly! We've seen it at several TCT events, and it does have a V6, I assumed it was the 305, actually I didn't know they came bigger. The rig has an interesting history, it was built by an evangelical preacher, who toured and traveled with it for his traveling minstrel show. Whether or not it helped him inspire people to come to Jesus is uncertain, but it IS inspiring in it's own way.

It's suffered from a galley fire at some point, and the interior is (or was the last time we saw it) mostly gutted. The owners (at that time used) it to haul their motorsickles and dirt bikes in, so it gets used, although not in the way it's orginal builder intended.

Pretty cool rig. We wondered about the plate glass front window in the wind, but the owner opined that it wasn't capable of going fast enough to generate much headwind!

Brian

27. The GMC V6 came as big as 478ci but I think that was the Diesel version. Interesting history, I could see a big couch at the window to watching the world go by.

28. boldventure

boldventure

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm making progress on our '53 "Tini-Home", aka "Canned HAMB Project".
    More pics and other goofy stuff at "Cool McCoo's Garage": http://flynbrian48.wordpress.com/

Brian

Attached Files: