Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old bridge drags,nj

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kidshine, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Here's a shot of my friend, Joe Alterizio, and his '61 Biscayne running A/FX at Old Bridge. Wish the photo was better.

Attached Files:

2. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Greg,

Really nice shots !

3. orangenuf

orangenuf

thanks for the pics, i now own since 1982 the 1941 ford truck in pictures 56,58

Attached Files:

4. Greg Grotyohann

Greg Grotyohann
    from OBX

5. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Greg,

Great pics !

6. great shots of island , there looks to be a few from e-town also

7. I know I've been away from Island for a long time, but where did all the trees come from?

8. Rich , I think alot are from e town ,,,, the Island ones you can see the old fence in the backround,, big hill the ones whth the NHRA tower I am pretty sure is e town the ones with the yellow outhouse I am pretty sure Island,,, the outhouse is where we to pick up the time slips....

9. Yupper Ron...the board fence is an Island landmark.

10. Greg, Thanks for posting these fantastic shots. There are not very many quality pictures around from these days as most of us had little Instamatic cameras, if we had cameras at all.

11. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Rocky,

That's a really cool car ! Do you have any more pics of the car ? How about some info like motor, trans & rear axle ?

thanks,
    Pete L.

12. Rockys Rod Shop

Rockys Rod Shop
    from nj

Pete The car was built in a one car shop at his house in Port Reading by Dorsis bakery
    It was a model a frame with a $49.00 Bird eng body the rear was a 56 olds stick welded to the frame rails all the pipe for the car was from US MEDALS in Carteret's scrap pile.
    The main roll bar was bent around the tree in front of our house the front end was a stock anglia with stock wheels and no brakes the pick up bed was angle iron and sheet steel it was cheeper then the $18.00 for the one that Bird sold.
    The engine was a 301 chevy with Jans fire slot's a Isky cam the heads he did the porting in the kitchen on a tv stand it had a set of Hillborns and a vertex.
    The trans was a t89 pontiac 3 speed using 2nd and 3rd gear the clutch was a slipper clutch he made and that was his secret till Drag News ran his pic and everyone saw the smoke from the bellhousing LOL
    His fire suit was a old cow boy lether jacket with the fringe cut off and a set of welding gloves and his seat was one of mom's kichen chairs
    I still have one time slip from that car at Etown 11.46 @ 124.69 not bad for a car built with no $$$$$$ and stick welded with junk pipe

Rocky
    Give me a call some time 1-908-638-4227 i still know alot of guys from down there from back in the day

13. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Rocky,

Thanks for the info ! I grew up in Woodbridge and might have seen the car once or twice. It certainly sounds like it was a lot of fun building and running the car !

Maybe you could come by the Old Bridge Speedway Reunion later this year and bring along some pics of the car.

thanks,
    Pete L.

14. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Is there going to be a show this year? And if so when?

15. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Bronxmopars1,

Yes ! The 2011 OLD BRIDGE SPEEDWAY REUNION takes place October 8 & 9th 2011 at the Thomas Warne Museum located at: 4216 Rt. 516 OLD BRIDGE N.J.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  16. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

17. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Thanks Pete Ill def try and be there!

18. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Fellas,

Mark the dates for this year's OLD BRIDGE SPEEDWAY WEEKEND, October 8th, 9th, 2011.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  19. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

20. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Fellas,

More info:

Attached Files:

21. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

22. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Fellas,

It's time for the OLD BRIDGE WEEKEND !!!

23. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Fellas,

I new stash of vintage drag racing photos from the OLD BRIDGE STADIUM SPEEDWAY have been discovered and can be veiwed this weekend at the OLD BRIDGE WEEKEND !!!

See flyer above for details

24. Rockys Rod Shop

Rockys Rod Shop
    from nj

Pete sorry i can't make it im running Atco with the funny car to try and finish my lic
    give me a call when you have time

Thanks Rocky

25. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Folks,

After another successful OLD BRIDGE event, we've already set our sights on next year ...too bad it's 12 months off !!!

26. Greg Grotyohann

Greg Grotyohann
    from OBX

27. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Greg,

Great pics, took me a while to get to them but they were more than worth the wait !
    Thanks for posting !!!

Pete L.

28. Deed

Deed
    from New Jersey

I am a new member and wish I had known about the reunion this past year, I will certainly be at the 2012. I have enjoyed reading all the postings and the great photos posted by Greg. My brother took me to the Old Bridge Drags in 64 and 65, I was 13 and 14 at the time. My brother and my cousins ran a gray prime 55 chevy, first in C/Gas and later in K/S. My cousin also ran his street car, a 60 Pontiac, lettered "Mr. Postman". I remember being there when a B/A, I think it was the Marlino Brothers went over the guard rail and out into the fields. I think my brother may have some 8mm movies taken at the track.
    The 55 they ran is long gone although we each currently own 55 chevy's.
    I hope someday I may find someone on here that has a photo of the 55 he use to race at Old Bridge. I thank you for this site and for all the memories we can share.