Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old brass radiators scrap??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charlesincharge09, Jul 29, 2013.

1. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

I have a radiator from my 1930 Plymouth it's junk, all brass though

I also have a brass and copper? model A radiator, has some holes too.

I was planning on scrapping them unless there is a better use for them.

What should I expect for scrap for them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I would guess yellow brass scrap price is around $1.60 a pound. Call yer scrapper.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Do not scrap as someone out there might need the tanks or brackets,just throw behind the garage.

4. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

First thing is get a magnet and see what isn't brass or copper on the rad.
    For the best price the radiator has to be cleaned of all ferrous (iron,steel) doo dads like water outlets, core supports, etc.
    I get about $30.00 for one or so, cleaned of iron.

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I hate scrapping old parts..... I hate keeping old parts around.....

Someones gonna need something at the darndest time.

In the mean time you can hang-um high on a wall. They make nice ornaments, and conversation pieces...

6. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

With that first line you couldn't have said it better! I just bought a house so the less I have to move and the more cash I can stick in my pocket the better

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Brassworks claim to be able to restore honeycomb radiators like the upper pic - no doubt at a price. That pattern has several advantages, e.g. cores don't have to be rectangular or of a constant thickness or square in profile, and it is relatively easy to incorporate holes or recesses for whatever reason. Some claim an advantage in cooling efficiency but I shouldn't want to say anything to that either way.

8. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Quote,

"Do not scrap as someone out there might need the tanks or brackets,just throw behind the garage."

Yes, do that, It will disappear all on its own and no need to carry it to the scrapper.

9. Good point. I had an old axle stolen from outside my shop not too long ago. Probably a scrapper, they will latch onto anything that isn't nailed down.

10. mechanic58

mechanic58

The last brass/copper radiator I took to the scrapper ended up yielding me nearly $80. That shit is HIGH. In fact, I see people selling used radiators on craigslist all the time for less money than they'd get for them at the scrapper. I scrap every one I can get my hands on - unless of course if its a vintage piece, but I don't run across those very often. Usually it's some shit out of a '78 Chevy pickup or the likes - that shit all goes to the scrapper. Big money.

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you do scrap it, just scrap the cores. Take a propane torch and a wire brush and melt out all the solder. It may be worth it to keep the header plates from the A core as well (Price replacement tanks and side bands, they go for stupid money!).
    My father owned several radiator shops when I was young, my job was stripping all the change over radiators and getting the cores sorted out for the scrapper. One trick was to hose down the cores for that little extra weight....:p

Doc.

12. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

if you want to make some art out if it, and have a friend who can paint, draw or pinstripe, take a screwdriver and flaten one side of the fins. Then slap on a layer of bondo on it, sand decently smooth have them go at it. I've seen it done before and it looks nice. Good wall art. Just a thought.

13. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

14. charlieb66

charlieb66

I can hear my wife if I brought one of those home, "Hang the x?!# thing in your garage."
    On the other hand, $100 from scrap sale and she would be quite happy.

15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Saving the top & bottom tanks + sides isn't a bad idea. Newer stuff isn't cheap, is thinner, & doesn't look as nice.

The honeycomb rad could yield 2 thin slices, maybe 1/2" -> 3/4" thick, used as "cheaters". Since honeycomb radiators are only soldered on the outside edges of the tubing - whether square or hexagonal, be careful cutting, & there'd be a lot of clean-up involved. Nothing more than a face for a std rad, giving the looks of a "real", or at least old, radiator. There are those who'd pay well for that look.

The fin & tube core is scrap fodder.

FWIW.

Marcus...

16. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I carried a junk radiator back and forth to Hershey for years. Finally got tired of tripping over it and scrapped it. I took a truckload of car junk to the scrapyard.
    As I get older I fit most of it into the "I'll never use that" file.

17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'd somehow expect a cheaper car like a Plymouth to have a corrugated ribbon type core rather than a proper honeycomb formed out of separate tubes. With the latter I suppose one could theoretically remove leaky tubes and solder in new ones. I don't know how one would go about repairing the ribbon type.

18. If nothing else it could be sliced to make some fake fronts to imitate a honeycomb radiator.

19. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

if you could sell it you might get 10.00? if you scrap them you can get around 60 each. scrap them and go buy some new tools for your shop,

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could see saving the tanks off it if you know what it came off and they are in really good shape but you can't save every thing and clean scrap radiators hauled to the scrap dealer and sold will buy more hot rod parts to get the project finished or go a ways on buying that tool or piece of shop equipment you have been saving for. I was looking this weekend and it looks like I have about ten used radiators not counting the two off the 51 1-1/2 tons accumulated that I could sell and go a long way towards getting the new grill for the 48.

21. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

that is pretty cool!

i have thought about saving a slice or two but its a lot rougher in person, corroded really bad on the back side

i like that idea! or maybe some 2x3 square tubing so i can finally start on my frame!