Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old ads in “parts for sale”

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by mike bowling, Mar 27, 2020.

1. mike bowling

mike bowling

I know it’s hard to keep up with, especially when sellers don’t give you a heads up, but if I “search” for something, lots of the ads are from as far back as 2017.
    Is there some way to have them automatically deleted after say 30 days, and a notice sent to the poster?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Mike, I am the administrator over on the '54 Ford club of America and it is a extremely small site compared to the Hamb, I let the classifieds run for 3 months and at the end of that time I send a PM to the poster stating if they want the ad to run another 3 months post on the ad and I will let it continue, if they don't it's deleted.

I ask the members to let me know if their car or part has been sold.

Again the site is small and it only takes me about 30 minutes at the most to clean up the classifieds, I can't imagine how long it would take for the classifieds moderator to weed out the ad's that are sold.

There might be a with to set the codes to delete after so long, I don't know but Ryan is pretty good at this stuff and he might figure out a way to make it work. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was discussed a while back - maybe last fall? I believe the conversation ended with a general consensus that old ads in the parts classifieds serve as one of the best databases on the interwebs to get a general idea of what parts are worth - or at least what people are asking for various parts anyway. It is also a great resource simply for all of the photos of parts.

I for one like having the information available and I would be a really sad panda if all of those old ads were deleted...just sayin'.

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I look at it this way, old ads give you pricing info from the time the ad was placed. How that matches up today is anybody's guess. I guess it's nostalgic to go back and see what a 32 was being sold for 5 years ago, but it doesn't have much in common with today's pricing. I've seen posts of ads from the Hot Rod Magazine's classified sections from the 60's with what are now high dollar cars being sold back then for $800. So, how does that help you price anything?

After an ad runs out and isn't refreshed, it ought to go to a historical section if it is to be kept forever. That would keep the expired ads out of the fresh for sale ads and you could still use them as a reference if you wanted to.