Register now to get rid of these ads!

OLD 58 IMPALA CUSTOM--HITS ROCK BOTTOM?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarliner, Oct 17, 2004.

1. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Just brought this old 58 Impala custom home.You ever hear the old saying"first impressions are usally right"? The first time I saw this,I thought I had hit a time warp,my jaw dropped,looked like an old custom with a ton of history,right out of the little pages.Then my thoughts went to-someone totally destroyed a perfectly good old 58 Impala.As of now Im debating on what to do with this.Is it a project to possibly be,one of the coolest old customs around? Or should I start looking up original 58 body parts and make a really smooth mild custom,more along the original 58 sheet metal lines? Is this an old custom of some real importance in the custom car world? Or is this just a talented local fellows attempt at copying something he saw,in hot rod in the old days?All I can say is this thing has a ton of modifications and some pretty cool stuff on it,even if it all is trash now.Example:pancaked hood and trunk,doors operated with solinoids,trunk has a hydraulic lift system,ect,ect.Looks to me like,it was a high dollar car at one time,then started on its downhill spin to self destruction,through several owners,and had a lot of the original custom ideals,removed and updated as time changed,everything.Looks like the car was originally gold,then repainted a metallic white and purple color scheme.Anyone ever seen this before? Or know any of its history?Just looking for some input on this.Its one of those cars,you either love it or hate it.Let me know what you think.Thanks Reggie.

Attached Files:

2. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

more pics

Attached Files:

3. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

another

Attached Files:

4. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

last one

Attached Files:

5. 00 MACK

00 MACK

time to start diggig thruogh your popular Customs mags .dont change a thing. Its only a matter of time before you find out the deal and judging by the looks of it I wouldnt be surprised if it has a NAME pedigree.You have unearthed a treasure !!!! [​IMG]

6. That fucking rocks! Find out all about. Put it back to its former glory.

7. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Research Trend Customs,Dave Stuckey ,Ray Fahrner, certianly ask Doug Thompson or Kurt McCormick,Starbird or perhaps Dave Puhl or even the Titus bros

8. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Hopefully Ill know more tomorrow! I fuckin live for this shit!

9. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

keep that sucker kustom !

10. Greezy

Greezy

Cool score Reggie. Id say its time to put on the detectives hat and start doing research. Rebuild it the way it was intended. Ive got a bunch of old mags Ill keep an eye out for it. That grill opening screams vette grill.

11. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Thanks guys for all your input,I was thinking the same,even if it is a 58 impala,its off the page,and thats what made me like it so much.Hope to hear more input.

Attached Files:

12. luckystiff

luckystiff

i've got a bunch of little pages to and that car looks really familiar to me. it'll take days for me to scan through 'em, but i'm sure it's an old magazine car or was HIGHLY inspired by one. if my memory serves me i don't think i have a feature on it or anything but rather it's in some show coverage pics or something. early 60s sounds right so i'll look there first. have you considered doing a vin search. i seem to remember people saying they had traced other cars all the way back to owner builders to get info. could work out for you. maybe the original builder has pics and/or info. surely leave it custom. i love 58's actually one of my favorite cars. people around here usually hate 'em for some reason. that means there's not many around here...ken....

13. RPW

RPW

Nice score! Do not, I repeat, do not turn it into something else. Instead, try do dig out the history, someone out there must know this car! To me it looks like it was built in the early 60´s, a very period wild custom. What ever history it have it needs to be preserved! My first thought was the custom below, a 58 Chev from a Custom Show in Detroit, scannedfrom Custom Cars Annual 1962. Though they are not exactly the same (the other one is a cvt) they are very similar in style. Fronts made of dual 53 Stude pans on both as hydraulic pancaked trunk.
    BTW you have a great looking front on yours!

Attached Files:

14. Slam it into the weeds!
    Burnt orange paint... with HUGE flake.
    Silver and gold "ghost" scallops.
    Rear skirts and cool custom spinners, up front.

Cool fuckin' ride... I want it. [​IMG]

JOE[​IMG]

15. Assdragger

Assdragger

I`m in lust, just DONT sell it....Uh, unless you call me first!! [​IMG]

I too have lot`s of old magazines (about 6 LARGE totes full) They are put away though and I dont know when I would find time to start digging through them!

16. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Awesome find,,,I agree w/everyone else on this..Dont change a thing...If you do decide to off it,,,put me next in line!
    I'd love to find something like that...

Dirty

17. slammed

slammed

Great find. Wait and see it's past life. Mean while, whould you like to sell that steering wheel?

18. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]...
    I think you asked the wrong crowd about making it milder-just don't put any astroturf on the roof [​IMG]
    Keep us updated and congrats

19. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

im willing to bet those tail lights it had were either 60 or 61 cadillac lights from the tail fins. im leaning more towards 61 though! great score..

20. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Have to agree with the rest on this. Even if it is not a "name" car. The workmanship looks good as does the design. It will be a LOT of work and $$$ but it deserves to be brought back.

21. CruZer

CruZer

My guess on the tail lights is Packard and I agree with everyone else. You have an old custom on your hands .It's just a matter of time before you find out exactly what it was.I'll start looking thru my little books.Don't do anything hasty!!!!!

22. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shit, I am sure I have seen that in my collection of old magazines!!!!! I will try and find it, be warned, I have several hundred early mags to go through [​IMG]

Very cool car, I wouldnt change it! Just do it up like it was at first.

23. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Thanks guys for all the comments and info.If anyone else comes up with anything on the car,I would like to hear it.I agree with the crowd on this one,it may have not been,my first choice of how to build the car,but it seems to me,the original builder,put a lot of thought and time into doing it this way and had some good ideals.I think it would be a shame to change it.It still has history,even if its not a name car.My thoughts are still unsure about it,not sure I have the time,talent and cash to bring it back to its full glory.But if I did,Im thinking go back with the white and purple paint,heavy flake,maybe scallops too,have it set very low,wide whites and traditional custom wheels, and drive train.Thanks again.

Attached Files:

24. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

I'm in automotive lust. My first custom was a '58 Belair.

I'll check my magazine collection for pics. The taillight may have been 1960 Chrysler "boomerangs" - just a guess.
    And you could go with lots of good grilles in that Stude pan front. Love it.

Dave

25. Nice piece of history there...

26. squirrel

squirrel

how far is it from being driveable? looks like it may not have a motor as high as the front sits up...it would be way cool to get it moving before you do *anything* to the body.

is the bodywork done with lead? bondo? both?

27. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

cooool car, man. you know, some old kustoms were a little too wild for their own good, but that one is pretty damn near TITS on target. i love it. go with what it is giving you. astros or chromed reverse wheels with thin whites might be killer too. cool find, sounds like you'll do right by it.

28. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Nice peace of history! You can´t buy patina. Front looks a bit same that this one.

Attached Files:

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms

Hey Reggie,

WOW!!! You are going to find out a lot of the guys would rather
    see it as a mild kustom, instead of a wild kustom. If I owned it I would
    try to find all of the information that I can and try to duplicate what the
    original builder had created.

I'll go through my magazines tonight and try to find some pictures
    and information for you. Kongrats again on your find!!!

Happy Trails,

Mick

30. Plowboy

Plowboy

Well, it ain't as bad as yngrodder's Model A!

I'd put it back as a wild show car and change a few little things to fit your style like bob bleed is doing with shift's old car.