Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old 1930 Channeled model A hot rod roadster gets a new lease on life.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Similar. But not 100%. 33-34, 35-36, 37-41 are the groupings by similarity.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Wheel base is? How much more room was added to the engine compartment?

Cross steer? What are the engine mounts out of?

This really would be the perfect way to go for this car...

I guess I have a lot of stuff to gather.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Matt.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

@Pist-n-Broke is there any close up pictures of how the front frame ended up after cutting and welding?

Wasn't there a rebuild thread on here with a guy, that found a Suicide style mount in front of the radiator/stock crossmember? But still hidden behind the grill. Done way back when, to get the wheelbase right.

I've been contemplating if it's a good way to go, with the 39 Wide five brakes, spring in front and then pinch+bob the horns for it to look good, low and era perfect. If I ever get to build a ford after my Bowtie (and no termite) build.

5. Wheel base is 103.5" if I remember correct. The added room for the motor is the length of the spring ahead of axle beam. I think it's like 6". Here is a pretty good photo of the front of the Frame. As you can see the frame horns are full length. Crossmember is an "as stock" location. This lets me mount the Rad in stock holes. Yes I will need to build a longer hood should I decide to run one.
    P1010158.JPG
    A functioning Manual fan is a must have in my book and it does (or will). Those mounts are F-1 truck units with a little rub to get right.
    The Wizzard

RonaldR, brad2v and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Gotcha. Thanks for the pictures and explanation. I think I actually asked you about this previously, but I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me again. Car looks great!

7. No problem Speedy. Once this 34 project is off to paint I think the Roadster will make a big leap forward. Can't believe it's been 8 years since I decided to just throw it together for the fun of it. It's all just spare parts ya know.
    The Wizzard

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Looking forward to that, I like this car.

9. brad2v

brad2v

Thanks for that Pistn. It's gonna look great full-fendered. Neat

10. Piedmont

Piedmont

Nice ride . Keep her pure

11. Got the under windshield piece out tonight and started removing the firewall. Was thinking about a replacement. Polished or engine turned might be the way.

Paul likes this.
  12. I don't like the lumps and dips of the stock Firewall but I do like the ribbs and the Henry style. In keeping the Pre 50's look here is what I did to mine.
    30 roadster firewall 003.jpg 30 roadster firewall 004.jpg 30 roadster firewall 011.jpg 30 roadster firewall 014.jpg 30 roadster firewall 020.jpg 30 roadster firewall 022.jpg 30 roadster floorboards 007.jpg
    Can you believe the new room between the Oil fill tube and the modified firewall? I also have more than enough room for a Manual fan. I HATE electric fans on Hot Rods. There was another reason to create a little more motor room when starting this project. For sure I will be finishing this Roadster as you see it with fenders and drive it. Like most Old Rods it's going to go through a little transition. Here is a little peek at it's future.
    30 roadster firewall 019.jpg
    Enough said?
    The Wizzard

13. Wow!! Now that's a nice pair of doors. What else is new?
    The Wizzard

Hitchhiker and falcongeorge like this.
  14. 55chevr

55chevr

15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can tell you he got a nice clean firewall for it. :D

16. Alright, alright... Updates...

I did get a nice firewall thanks to @ClarkH... I just had to remove it from a front cowl of his. To be honest I have had this cowl for a few months now.... my dad got diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. So i basically dropped everything and spent as much time as I possibly could with him and caring for him. He passed away on the 20th of January. I've been dealing with his estate and I'm just now getting a little therapuric work in on personal projects.

So last week I pulled apart the cowl and drilled out the rivets and spot welds and removed my prize. I had previously removed the visor and under visor piece. Along with most of the gas tank and below windshield piece. I just had two stubborn ones that had to be destroyed.

So just today I took the replacement rear quarter out. It's pretty rough... i hope i can fix it. It's only metal, right? I figure I should start with repairing it before I go any further. It's also a good "small" project. Any one have any pointers?

I've got so much shit I don't even have room to build this car yet. I need to "finish" my 34 pickup and 55 coupe first and I'm still looking for a nice A frame to ruin for this project...expect things to be slow. This is definitely a back burner project.

Runnin shine likes this.
  17. Oh yeah. And the doors. Found those 10 minutes from my house. Paid as much for them as I did for the body. But sold the passenger side to offset the cost there.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  18. Sorry to hear about your father...

19. that is tough news about your Dad. So sorry to hear that. Keep busy now on those projects, definitely good therapy.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  20. 55chevr

55chevr

Lossing parents is tough ... takes a while to get past it ... if ever.
    Joe

Hitchhiker likes this.
  21. greaser

greaser

Sorry to hear about your Dad. It will get a little easier with time.
    Having good memories will comfort you in years to come.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  22. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Sorry to hear about your Dad Hiker.

Hitchhiker and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. As far as the project goes. I'm staring at this quarter panel and wondering if I am better off splicing the two together or do I fix this one and install the whole thing?

24. Okay. I started just tapping on stuff with my body hammers and dollies. I have no real experience, but it seems to be working out. I picked the worst part and figured if I can't get that straight, it doesn't matter. It's gonna take a crazy amount of time to fix it. But I think I am gonna try and straighten this whole extra quarter. The original is just so thin for such a large area. I started at the front of the wheel well. It's got a pretty good gouge/dent right along the front of the wheel well bead. I don't even know if it can be fixed. But I'll try.

After it got too late to make noise I started removing the drivers side cowl panel. I was gonna try and save this piece. But I think it will probably end up replaced. I'm gonna have to repair/replace the A pillar as well.
    [​IMG]

oliver westlund and falcongeorge like this.
  25. Here is the rust on the drivers quarter.

1488099399390.jpg

Here is the dent I was working on. I feel like I should blast this thing.

1488099451883.jpg