Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old 1930 Channeled model A hot rod roadster gets a new lease on life.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2016.

1. I had started that way and it would have worked out very well with my rear Axle. Then I had visions of a Quick Change and knew I needed the Model A style rear spring.
    The Wizzard

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Haha. Very true. More just dreaming.

3. I want to try and get as much trunk space as possible. And with the 2 speed rear, I don't see a quick change in my future.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  4. All right.... I've been thinking. What if I leave the engine where it is and just move the crossmember back to fit the Lasalle trans? While I don't think I would be able to use the floor mount pedals ,the car originally had hanging pedals and firewall mounted mastercylinder. If I go this route, my thoughts is more room for later engine swap. What can fit in place of a stock 59ab? How much engine bay room do I need for an olds? I'm gonna mock it up with the engine where it is now and see how it looks.

5. Here is what I am starting with. Many changes to come. 20180414_140502.jpg

Attached Files:

6. I just happen to have 3 complete different motors in the shop. An early Olds, a small block Chevy and a 392 Chrysler. All complete with water pumps and as well, adapters to early Ford gear boxes. So to help with your question what else can you put in place of the 59A motor here are some good numbers to work with. The Olds motor is 32" total motor length including adapter to front of water pump. The same over all length of the Small Block Chevy is 33" and the Hemi is 34". So in part of my planing while building the Chassis for my 30 Roadster I was looking ahead and knew I was going end up with my Blown 392 in it. While I was doing my Firewall I removed the Toe Board kick that is the stamped wedge in it and made it flat to gain some room. You can hardly tell.
    20150919_102235.jpg That was good for a couple inches and I made sure the Hemi Bellhousing cleared the firewall and it just ended up fitting the Flathead like I had planned it first. In using the 35 and later front axle I moved the crossmember forward of course but it is still in the stock rivet holes and it was done when I joined the front and back frame rails together.
    The Wizzard

7. If anyone watching this has a 35-40 rear crossmember they want to let go of. Pm me please.

8. Okay. I thought some words were in order. Basically I cut the body mounts and spare tire holder off and slid the body on the frame for my first mock up. I wanted to see what it looked like for hood length and such. I think I am gonna leave the engine where it is just move the transmission crossmember back for the Lasalle Trans. With the body where it is, it looks like I need to move the rear wheel centerline back about 13 inches which should give me roughly a 110 inch wheel base. Also I think I will cut the grill to sit on the crossmember, instead of in front.

Still looking for a rear crossmember

9. Let me see if I read this right. You are leaving the front motor mounts where they are. You have plenty of room in room in front for a Manual fan no matter what motor you may change to latter. With the motor in place you are now going to mount the Body where it looks good Firewall to back of Block. The 13" comes into play to get the Rear tire to Body looking correct. The X member replacement is only to accept the Lasalle gear box. The Torque Tube will be cut to fit to fill the gap. Is this correct?
    The Wizzard

10. Correct. None of that is final. Just going to give it a try first and see how it looks.

11. Okay, so one more thing to make sure will work and look correct for you. The Brake and Clutch pedals. If your using in floor system and stock type Ford units they will mount to the X. Make sure they come through the Floor and clear your steering as needed. The pedal placement was a big factor in the exact location in my Roadster. That is one of the reasons I changed to a 36-7-8 X unit.
    The Wizzard

12. The car originaly had hanging pedals so I'm gonna go back to that.

13. Kool. You'll have no problem with that.
    The Wizzardd

14. So I kind went rogue a few years ago and got rid of my computer.... as a 34 year old, in this day and age, that is so tech driven and easily accessible I'm somewhat of an anomaly. While I take great pleasure in this disconnect it is both a blessing and a curse.

Part of the problem with it is my lack of access to places I like. Like here. It makes it incredibly hard to post photos here, using my "considered old" galaxy s5.....I'm sure it's a software thing with my phone. I have no problem posting from my girlfriends phone. But whatever....
    ....my point is I really want to document this build well online. Better than I have been doing or ever done....

so anyways, I went and bought a 1000 dollar phone today with the best damn Camara I could find and over a terabyte(whatever that is) of add on storage for photos.(this is important, my current phone is literally full). It's on order because they don't even carry it in stores it's so fancy. I did this for two reasons. First. I have to conduct all my computer stuff with this thing, and two I'm really tired of trying to post photos from my current phone.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this except I'm excited to be able to post more photos and the dam phone cost twice as much as the body.

So here are the 2 photos I can get to load.

Headlight mock up. Might be to dorky.
    20180508_175848.jpg 20180508_175349.jpg
    And this is just a random shot of the engine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  15. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I had an S5 for a couple years... I could not wait to smash that thing to pieces. What a pile of garbage. Anyway, if you ever end up short on storage for photos, you can upload them to Google Photos for free. That worked really well for me anyway. The new pictures look great!

16. Good luck with the new Camera/Phone. I think I agree with ya on the Head Lights. They look more T-Roadster than Hot Rod Roadster. I wouldn't loose any sleep over them. I'm wondering about the steering column and rear Exhaust port. If yours is like mine in the photo above I posted I can tell ya you have your work cut out for ya. Mine was a real Blister.
    The Wizzard

17. brad2v

brad2v

I'm kinda liking the dorky headlamp placement. Looking through pics of channeled cars of the era, many had some pretty silly looking headlight mounting choices.

18. 1927RonRoadster

1927RonRoadster

wow your new phone takes amazing photos very clear

19. Those lights and stands look killer on that car

20. I'm pretty fed up with mine.

I'm thinking I may mount the box on top of the frame rail.

Yeah. That was my thoughts as well.

This is actually still the old one. It does take good photos. But for some reason I cant get most of them to load.

I knew you'd like it.

21. Pulled the head on the 59ab today. Looks like it's a raised intake deck and relieved block. Unfortunately it's stuck. I'm gonna try and save it. Wish me luck.

22. One more here that likes the lights/stands/placement.

23. I like you!!!

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Eggplant, splash, heart emoji to you brother!!!

Stogy likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  26. popawolf

popawolf

those headers are sweet,i like.

27. 31Apickup

31Apickup

A picture of the roadster (cut down coupe) my brother has from 1955 for inspiration.
    roadst-55 Autorama1 - Copy.jpg roadst-55 Autorama1 - Copy.jpg roadst-55 autorama2 - Copy.jpg

Hitchhiker, brad2v, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  28. Alright....been on the back burner. But it's back up front. And I did do some work to this recently. Pulled out the engine and trans and swapped on the Lasalle transmission. I need to machine my rear bearing retainer to the trans before I can put them back in. So engine and trans are still out. This will push the engine forward roughly 3-1/2 inches. Then I can redo the engine mounts. I also finally got a frame section to use to lengthen the frame for spring behind. I've roughly mocked things up and shooting for around 106 inch wheelbase. After I get the frame roughly where I want I am going to blow apart the body and begin rebuilding it. 20201031_214539.jpg 20201030_223005.jpg 20201030_223012.jpg