Register now to get rid of these ads!

Okay to spray RAID under the dash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cerberus, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus

I've been working feverishly trying to reach launch time. Installed/fabricated the 2 1/2 " exhaust from headers to tips. Installed AOD shifter and TV cable. Installed rack and pinion power steering. I get bit about three times a day by spiders. I especially hate the ones that bite you on the base of the palm. Next, is the Classic Instrument gauges (5) install. Also, the thru the firewall cable speedo cable. Tired of getting attacked by spiders. I bought this car off Ebay. No telling what lurks. Couple of bites leaked puss for a few days. Is it okay to spray RAID under the dash without damaging the wire harness, heater, wiper motor, ign switch, fuse panel, etc. I'm sure each of these areas have a spider in waiting. Paranoid.:eek:

2. badshifter

badshifter

Why not just close the garage door and set off a bug bomb/fogger or three? I wouldn't spray anything on my dash, that stuff stinks, is oily and oh yeah, it's poison.

3. Arieldouglas

Arieldouglas

Well Duh! You can't work on it if you can't get to it! KILL KILL KILL THOSE SUCKERS.

4. ravedodger

ravedodger

Fire works great too.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Bats love insects.

6. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I second the bug bomb idea. If not possible, un hook your battery first and be sure to let the car air out for a few days afterward. If you can find a water base posin that would be better

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I would have done it before I ever started on the car. A can of wasp spray is standard equipment in most Central Wa car guys tool kits.

They do have a specific spider & scorpion killer http://www.raidkillsbugs.com/fop_max_ss.asp The only thing it says is don't soak down plastic or rubber.

Watch those spider bites as a friend of mine in Florida lost a chunk out of his calf due to a brown recluse bite. He got bit on a bar stool so they can be anywhere.

8. ravedodger

ravedodger

No joke. While reading the first post, I was reminded of my last platoon sergeant in the army. He was bitten by a brown recluse and lost half the muscle mass in his forearm. He ended up with one Popeye forearm and one Olive Oil forearm. Not only did he go through a tough surgery once it was determined he had a recluse bite, but he also lost about two months at work.

9. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

are you nuts? getting bit 3 times a day, puss, for how long? dude, the first time one of those little bastards bit me, it would have been an all out war. get yourself some bug bombs and get rid of those friggin things, sheesh.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3 times! Damn! You may consider having those checked out. Really.

11. duke182

duke182

hell yes use raid.
    you can wipe off the residue later.

12. I got bit on the forehead a few years ago by this huge reddish brown spider. I walked into the web that was strung between my pool ladder and some bushes, actually had to jump into the pool to get the web off me.

I wasn't sure I was bit until later in the day when a 1/4" high x 1.5" diameter welt appeared. Off to the doctor... he initially thought I got mixed up with a brown recluse, but those are mainly indoor spiders. A tetanus shot and a round of antibiotics later I was ok. The welt remained as a dark spot for close to 6 months after.

Could have been worse as you illustrate, spiders = serious business.

Bob

13. Deuces

Deuces

My old boss got bitten by a brown recluse in the back of his leg in '97... He's got a hunk of meat missing the size of a golf ball.. :eek: His lower leg is still red from that bite... He almost turned "room temp" a couple of dayz after it happened...
    You don't want mess with those little bastards... Kill'em!

14. sololobo

sololobo

Bombs away, the guys have told enough horror stories. Bombs are better than spraying under the dash and will help your whole garage. ~sololobo~

15. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

This sounds like a bad night in TJ and a killer case of Crabs...:D

Viva

16. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

Just be aware that bug bombs often use flammable propellants. Be sure to turn off any ignition sources before you seal your garage up.

17. Deuces

Deuces

And how!!!!

18. rusty28a

rusty28a

I'm not going out to the garage tonight because of your story. Thanks pal.

19. X18 on the bombs. As stated, disconnect your battery, kill any open flames/pilot lights, and when it's done, ventilate like crazy. It's a good idea to roll the car outside afterwards, wash the entire car as thoroughly as possible, and wash the inside metal/vinyl parts with hot soapy water (wipe cloth parts with a moist cloth), and you should be good to go. I rid an old Hudson of little insect critters this way several years ago, and it worked beautifully. You want to get rid of the poisonous residue as much as possible.

20. JMel

JMel

I'd burn down the garage and the car just to be safe. But keep in mind that i have a major fear of spiders and wish to send every last one of them back to the fire of hell from which they came in proper fasion.

I got in a full blown fight with a wolf spider a few years back....as my memory serves me, it was about the size of my hand. I swear to you that little bastard charged me....and i tucked tail and ran screaming like a school girl. It twas an epic battle....but in the end, i prevailed. I must have used a half a can of poison on him once i got my hand on some....i used enough where i think he died by drowning, and not so much the poison.

WD40 and a lighter is my prefered method of spider control though. Its a miricle i haven't burned my house down yet.

I would have burned down the garage, the house, and the neighbors houses after being bit one time just to make sure i got them all. Not sure how you can stand the thought of getting bit that much. I'm feeling all napalm-y just thinking about it right now.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Spiders, my worst insect fear...I've had more BIG hairy ones appear in the last few years and I don't know what changed...The last one that appeared I got my trusty can of Brakeclean and let him have it...He stopped and then started for me again, this went on several times till I just kept spraying and when he stopped I stepped on him..Made a mess but twas him or me.......I'd spray Brakeclean around under the dash and anywheres else; just be ready to spray more when they come running out...Oh, and just incase someone thinks that gas or alcohol will do something; it won't...matter of fact I think they laugh..really...

22. the_mick

the_mick
    from piqua ohio

I parked a friends car between two houses during a hurricane back in 19981999 or something like that...ants moved into the car because it was the only dry place, I had to spray the whole car down with raid to kill them all... don't remember any adverse affects of....wait a minute.... what was I talking about?

23. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

Up here in the Great White North 'bout the only form of RAID available is one made from Chrysanthemum flower extract and is relatively harmless to humans (compared to other insecticides). I'd RAID the hell out of the dash before I put a bug bomb in. WD40 is an excellent spider/insect killer too. It dissolves the wax coating on any insects or spiders body and they basically dry up and die. Any way you choose, you'd best wash everything with soapy water afterwards.http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-110627.html

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  24. Cerberus

Cerberus

Can't wait to see the carnage tommorrow. Sealed off the garage. Emptied two cans of RAID defogger. First one I hand held while moving it under ,around, and inside the car. Got bit twice doing it! Second one positioned in the middle of the garage. I wore a respirator and long sleeves. Two hours later a buddy comes over and says, "What's up with your garage?" It was obvious from outside the house I sealed the garage. He saw a Black Widow by the garage door on its back. I said don't touch her, she's gasping for her last breath as her legs wiggled. YEAH! Tommorrow morning I am going to collect the dead and mount them on a board, like I did as a kid. If I ever take the car to a meet I'll show the board so everyone will know what we hobbiest/gearheads go thru to build the car of our dreams. I feel like BORIS KARLOFF!

25. Too funny :D

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I'm not sure where you live, but hope it is nowhere near me. How in the heck are you getting bit by all of these spiders and you aren't even seeing them on you doing it? A couple even while actually spraying them with long sleeves on? Must be some seriously aggressive and stealthy ass spiders.

Sounds more like flees or something. Whatever it is, hope the bombs take care of it for you and they don't spread out all over the bay area. Kill those suckers at your house.

27. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

How close is the garage to your house? Any you don't kill are going to go looking for new digs. Mebbe go around the outside of the garage with outdoor surface spray to keep em where you can get to em.

28. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I was building a house with my ex father in law many years ago, we had to restack a lumber delivery the yard sent out. While restacking the joists he was bit by a little red spider- no larger than a pencil point- on his ring finger. That night his hand swelled up to double it's notmal size- he went to his neighbor and used his die grinder
    to cut his wedding ring off- Doctor said that saved the finger. Never wore a wedding ring again- I often wondered if he did it on purpose. Guess his daughter did not fall far from the tree.

29. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

give the dude a break, he's a fng so he is a little slow.

30. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Check the can of Raid to make sure that it is not corrosive to metal or will affect paint. You don't want to cure one problem and create another (or several.) A shop vac may help, too. Just empty it outside later.