Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Okay, last time with the roadster proportions, outisde pics!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky77, Apr 4, 2012.

1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed

I think it looks spot on now.. Now get it driving. :)

2. titus

titus

I think the stock aprons look bulky, it was a function thing back in the day, rip the fenders off, now its a looks thing, if someone did it back in the day for looks they probbaly would have been sectioned, i think they look proportionate to the body thickness now, i think a 32 frame under a 27 roadster looks too thick, if i was doing a 27 roadster id channel the body ove the frame a inch or so, so its the same basic idea, just improving upon proportions. im torn on leaving the original aprons on a A, but i think the setioned ones look more asteckly pleasing.

my 2 cents!

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Quit now, you are done. It looks fine and you will just keep beating yourself up if you keep wondering about it. The car looks great. :)

Don

4. fuel pump

fuel pump
    from Caro,MI

Like I told you at lunch, I like the proportions better with the thinner aprons. I just wonder what kind of proportions issues you may have when you put the longer hood (or hood top) on. Adding the hood may tend to make the car look longer and change the look yet again.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely nailed it! Keep it simple, and remember, the aprons weren't left on the car for a "look", they were left on the car because it was stripped for racing. in the late forties as fender laws came in to kinda put the stomp on hot rods, guys would run the fenders all month, then roll up to the lakes and pull them and the windshield and headlights and run. As Sunday afternoon ended, the process was reversed, and the car driven home. The aprons were left in place because it was too much effort to pull them quickly for a weekend of racing. Some of the old guys I know tell me that by about '49 or so, the only cars that were full time hiboys were pretty much dedicated race cars at that point.

I say the aprons are cool, and it makes the car a perfect snapshot of a particular time frame, but don't go out of your way to do some thing "trick" for the sake of something that never happened... Keep them stock.