Register now to get rid of these ads!

Okay! How Do You Do It? Raduising 55 Chevy quarters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Mar 11, 2008.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

IMG_20170808_183428.jpg How much higher do you cut above the tire? You gotta leave room for suspension travel, right? In most pictures it looks like about 2 inches. What do you think?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Have a couple of buddies stand on the back bumper and bounce to see if the tire hits. That way if you have somebody riding in the back seat you won't tear up your tires when you hit a bump.

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thank you. There wont be a back seat in this one.

4. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I obtain some 64 to 66 Mustang reproduction rear quarters and was thinking about using them for the rear fenders on a 52 Chrysler. Might look good on a 55 or them might be too small.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

I'm sure some of you guys know how much space is needed

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have about 1-1/2" on my heap, with adjustable stops so the tire just barely hits in hard cornering. It's a compromise, ride quality vs. looks. Mine rides pretty rough. 0720171541a.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. manyolcars

manyolcars

Is that a Bantam?

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes, and I just measured, 2". I have adjustable coil overs so it's easy to change but then that ruins a perfect radius (which I don't have anyway). I've also changed tire diameters a few times, also makes a difference. If you have the luxury I would cut it on the tight side at first, easy to cut again, then add whatever lip when you get it where you want it. There are some guys that can roll a lip using the existing sheet metal, that of course would have to be taken into account beforehand.

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

Yeah, I am hoping someone will suggest the right amount of clearance so I dont destroy the lip the first time I hit a bump.

10. At least 2 inches but nobody can tell you an exact measurement because we don't know what your suspension consists of, you could have worn out springs and worn out shocks, with quarter panels made out of lead, if you get where I'm coming from. What kind of driving do you do, do you jump ditches like the General Lee or drive on flat ground, is your rear suspension stiff or soft, do you plan on racing, how much tire growth do you expect if you are racing, etc. etc. etc. ?