Register now to get rid of these ads!

Okay got some zephyr fender skirts for my tail dragger now what

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky_1974, Jun 17, 2008.

1. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

So I am working on a 36 taildragger for my wife and she wanted flush style skirts (ala zephyr) so my question is, I have seen pics of 36's with these skirts, but am not sure of the modification needed for installation.

Back in the day did they modify the skirts by flattening the lip of the skirt and place it over the fender or did they modify the fender to make the skirts actually mount similar to the zephyrs. Here are some pics of what I am going for. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

BTTT for the lunch crowd...

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i think they would weld the zephyr wheel well lip into the ford fender

can you post pictures of the skirts?
    i am hoping to make some for a 35 that fit like that so i'd love to see details of how they're made

if you decide your not gona use them for some odd reason i might be interested

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Well, if no one else chimes in...I put them on my 48 Chevy, and made them flush mount. Not at all hard to do the basics. The tough part was getting the "planes" of the skirt and fender to match. I had to do a bit of stretching on the fender to give it a bit more curvature to flow into the skirt. LOTS of work! (I've got pics, somewhere...)
    It would be MUCH easier to mount them on the outside, though it doesn't look as good!

5. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Would like to see pics Chop!!

-COS

6. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Zach I will try and get some pics up. These are repops I got on ebay, I am not sure if they are still being repoped. They look good though. I know I will figure it out just thought I would get some feed back on ideas. So go build your own you talented bastard:D:p.

Chopolds:I would love to see pics. I figured there would be some shrinking and stretching involved to get things looking smooooth. Did you cut the fender and re weld a new fender lip or did you re form the fender lip with a dolly and shrinker stretcher?

Thanks!

7. Taff

Taff

interested in this, coz I want to do something similar with my '49 chevy sedan.
    One idea I had was to lay my (stock) skirt on a sheet of flat steel, and trace around it, then again 1inch further out. Trim this larger outline out, then mount in (prob spot welded several times) to the original skirt, giving me an "overhang" 1inch wide all the way around.
    this would also allow me to add a litle at the base, and visually lower the car a little there as well.

8. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I'm in the middle of flush skirts on my 40 chevy.

They used to mount to the outside, but I wanted them flush, so the talented mofo Ben at Roseville Rod & Custom made a custom lip to fit onto my fenders by basically doing the following.

He laid my skirts down on flat sheet stock and bent a length of 1/4 square stock along the outside edge of the skirt, then tacked that down to the sheet stock and used that as a guide to run it through the Yodder (sp?) to make a nice lip that the skirt could sit down into (The 1/4 square was just a guide and ended up being trimmed away).

Then he trimmed that lip out of the sheet and held that against the fender and trimmed the fender out to be able to mount the lip flush.

I wish like hell I'd brought my camera while I stood there and watched him do it because he made it look so slick and easy - which is why I chose to have him do this one modification (whereas I've done ALL the other body customizations to my car) because I knew it would take some skill and proper equipment to fab a piece like that and I'm glad I did because my home garage version would have been no-where near as nice.

I still have to finish-weld it including pooching out the fenders some to make it flow into the skirts better and do the body work but I think it's a big improvement over the external mounted version.

I'm at work right now, or I'd put up some pics.

9. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Cool thanks, Cleatus

10. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Zach-

The pics are crappy but you can get the idea. :(

Attached Files:

11. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Goodluck with the skirts. I'm the one that sold em to ya! They should look sweet on your ride.

Later

12. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Thanks...where did you get them? Are they still being repopped?

13. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I picked em up on Ebay a few months back. I paid big bucks for em but changed over to some really nice 39 Zephyr fenders and skirts. I haven't been able to locate anyone else making more of em so hold to these. Best of luck to ya!

14. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks for the pictures!