Register now to get rid of these ads!

OK, You Old Farts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Mar 6, 2010.

1. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

This time of year it would probably have been over a "hunnert" degrees in Visalia, CA. No A/C in the '46, so nice crus'in temps about sun down. When I had a girlfriend in '67 or '68 we would probably be going to the Mooney Drive-In or the Sequoia. No girlfriend, probably look'in for a dance, with the best local cover band ever, the "Whitman's Sampler" with young Tom Johnston, later of the Doobie Brothers. He could do some real cool James Brown covers. The bitch'inest "chicks" usually showed up at these dances. Later, cruise Mooney Blvd, and hit up Mearle's or Foster's for a burger and Coke. The local AM station only played "Teen" music from 7-Midnight, then the "Wolfman" on "X...ERB" Chu...la Vista, California could be heard. My car was definitely not fast, but sometimes you would see somebody choose off someone else, then we would be following them out to the country to watch. It was a small town so it didn't take long to be out in the country.

2. Cruising Main Street with my friends. Heading out to the desert afterward to a keg party.

3. Donzie

Donzie

At the Sunset Drive-in, watching a really bad biker movie with a girl who would later become my wife.

4. dadseh

dadseh

45 years ago north of the border it was the Sat nite drive-in in yer 2 dr post 56 Ford 292 stick shift with your girl, hit the Oshawa A&W and cruise thru 5 times ( with the choke out 1/2 way for that hot cam effect) to get a good spot up front. Go 'parking' down a back lane for a grope on the way home and if you got lucky maybe a romp in the back seat,take the gal home by midnite to keep her Dad happy and head back to main st Bowmanville to cruise with the dump pipes open (after ensuring the sole cop car in town was parked at the station). Wolfman on the radio if the reception was right and heading out with yer mates to the 2 lane blacktop at the edge of town to see the big boys go heads up with their Chev 409s . Hamburger and coke later at the greasy spoon restaurant , usually got home bleary eyed about sunrise.

Holy shit ! this sounds like American Graffiti, but it was sooo right on!
    "You dont know man! you weren't there"!!!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  5. Head to the Spanish Castle and listen to the Wailers and Kingsmen and pick up girls.

6. Actually I still got a life. Its just not moving as fast as it did when I was younger.

Lets see teenage years Scotty's Drive In. French fries were 11 cents and a small coke was a dime.

I lost a hub cap off my '55 Ranch Wagon leaving the parking lot one saturday night. My grand daughter was there a week ago and topk a picture of it. They still have it hanging on the wall. I'm afraid fries and a coke are a little higher now.

Or maybe the Artic Circle one town over if nothin' was poppin' at Scotties. home of the 19 cent hamburger.

In my 20s I could either be found at the Top Hat in Redwood City, out on some lonley stretch of highway in Anywhere USA looking for some other place to be. Or flat tracking or tuning someone's bike or racecar at some track or dry lake just the other side of Anywhere USA.

But anyway today I still have a life it just isn't moving as fast as it did. Now of I could just get time to slow down abd be in tempo with my life.

Damn I'm glad I got here late, the first liar never stands a chance.

7. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Diaper change, fed, burped, in bed by 7:30. Kinda like now.

8. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

there was life before the H.A.M.B ????? get outta here !!

10. What was I talking about.........................?

11. dudley32

dudley32

:D30 years ago...cutting up MGA'S..and scrapping them...!!:eek::eek:

12. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Street racing ,dragstrip, looking for girls., still have a life ,only a little different, can afford to buy good parts, can buy the tools i always wanted, buy whatever projects i want, dont have to check with my wife or parents, and dont have to worry about saving for kids college, yep i remember when i had a life, i am sure glad it has changed to what it is now
    One day YOU will be there and know what i am talking about, oh i forgot, i dont have to get up and go to work no mo.

13. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Watching the submarine at the lake with my girl, whose now my wife for 38 years.
    Criusing Elm st. with the '64 GTO I wish I kept.
    Going to the Skyray, Manchester or Bedford Grove drive ins with the crew and my '57 F100.

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Id be out watching the races on front street or racing ,Drinking Beer .Now Its just bodywork all day till 6 and then playing with the kids till they go to bed .

15. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Me too, but it was late '60s. I would have been in a mostly red '53 Ford. I'd be there tonight if it wasn't raining, although it's Kansas International Dragway now. Does that mean I still have a life?

Attached Files:

• jim.jpg
      jim.jpg
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
  16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Mid '70s, I would have been cruising Virginia Beach Boulevard looking for a race in my '70 SS Chevelle, or after that car, a '70 340 Duster, till I broke second gear drag racing.
    Nowadays its the HAMB and irritating the wife like a good husband should.

17. STILL OLD

STILL OLD
    from tennessee

The dragstrip, going for lap money at the Big Boy, trying to play stink-finger with My girl

Buzz

18. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Ten toes up & ten toes down .
    NOT AS GOOD AS I ONCE WAS , BUT AS GOOD ONCE AS I EVER WAS.

19. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

You lucky sumbitch.Although I did get to see The Sonics a coupla yearrs back in London.They still rock.
    Paul

20. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

Connecting
    150 st
    white castle
    Clearview
    Crosssbay
    Beer Dock
    Winchester av
    Alley Pond
    Goldies Diner