Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok, who has quad headlights on their Model A..etc..pics??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bradberry00, Mar 14, 2005.

1. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok im still planning out all the stylings of my "A"...i'm kind of thinking Quad headlights but without a custom fiberglass grille/headlight combo but just a clean look with a 32 grille and some cool lights....any pics for inspiration? or ideas what cars i should look at for parts?

here is my drawing with the usual headlights but would like something fresh and different...

[​IMG]

2. Marko

Marko

My thoughts would be to augment "normal" headights on stands with a couple of close mounted lights (clear or yellow) close togeather on spreader bar. The quad mounted headlights I've seen seem to add a lot of visual bulk to an otherwise clean nose. Maybe a quad set of the new, small projector beams might be small/sleek enough to be slick. Good luck on it!

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't see any unusual headlights, I do like the looks of the twin headers, and reversed door hinges.

4. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

Check your late 50's little pages. (Edit:October of 1958 Rod and Custom. The ad is on page 5. The install story is on page 70) There was a company that was selling Quad headlight stands for your "early ford".... It was a cast piece on each side that instead of just a flatspot on top, it made a "T".

There has to be some in someones collection. I personally think they look great! Very cool 58-60 look...

Mike

5. Kinky6

Kinky6

I dunno, I don't think that quad headlights are an improvement for a lot of rods or customs that didn't come with them from the factory - sort of like putting square headlights on a '40 Ford. Sometimes changing the look is simply changing the look, without improving it.

And canted quads, well they are the harlequin glasses of the automotive world. They were a fad for a while, and they definitely don't look good on everybody.

That's not to say that it don't always work; the "Little Duece Coupe" of the albumn fame is one example that does because it is part of a coherant look, instead of something just stuck on there. I like the look that Marko described, to use Zibo's RPU as an example.

Later, :cool:

6. scarylarry

scarylarry

At the risk of sounding like a total dumbass this morning, I've seen a big early 60's Chrysler??? maybe??? at the junkyard that the front end was "scooped" out and the headlights sat in there. Chrome headlights connected together and have a cool fluted edge around the front. Anybody have a clue of what the hell I'm talking about? They might look cool on a nerf bar, at least different.

7. rusty210

rusty210

8. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

As long as they ain't them square ones it whould be ok.

9. Kustm52

Kustm52

This the ones you thinking about? '61 Chrylsler Imperial.....
    [​IMG]

Brian

10. scarylarry

scarylarry

Yep, thanks Kustm52.

11. DrJ

DrJ

Cal Custom probably is the one that sold the quad stands. They had something like them on some big trucks too, maybe stands for them are available, places like JC Whitney, Speedway probably still have themon their shelves even if they aren't in the catalogs any more,
    First rod I remember with quads was George Barris' TwisterT http://www.barris.com/gallery_twistert.html

If you mount some side by side, mount them even with the axle, otherwise the wheel/tire might hit them when turning if they are forward or behind the axle.

12. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

Yep, here's mine! You can have them for $12,500 I'll throw in the rest of the car for free! :)

13. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

What I think would look good is if you find some with the bigest amount of metal around the lense and slice off a bit and weld them together. Like conjoined twins. It would look like a W.

14. Mutt

Mutt

Lee's used to sell the brackets back in the 50'-60's.

Mutt

15. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks guys, it isnt set in stone that i am going to use quad lights. But, i wanted to see my options. I was also thinking about some mid 30's bullet headlights.

16. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just noticed that old catalog page....$22.50 for a dropped axle!!

17. Bradberry,
    just add a zero to the price and you make up for inflation and it's about right.

18. Mutt

Mutt

That was 1958 - minumum wage was about .50 an hour.

Mutt

19. Plowboy

Plowboy

I've been looking for a set too.

Let me know if you find anyone who still sells them!

20. yngrodder

yngrodder

Not sure if this is what your looking for but this is what My coupe has for headlights. the headlights are 5 1/2 outside bulb and 4 inch inside bulbs the small ones are Guides 2004A