Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical OK what year did valve stems change size?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drptop70ss, Jun 23, 2015.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Interesting problem today. Putting the 65 riviera gran sport super wildcat car into storage and has one flat tire that is junk..no problem, pull the wheel and throw on another tire. Go to air up. valve stem NG. No problem, got a bag of new ones right here. Cut off the old, go to install the new one and it doesnt fit, rim hole is too big. Did full size cars use different stems?

2. clem

clem

Good tyre shops will have a plastic spacer to take up the different size hole for modern smaller valve stems.

3. Slopok

Slopok

I was able to get the large valve stems at Pep Boys.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  4. BJR

BJR

There was always at least 2 sizes of holes in the rims and 2 different size valve stems. At least from the 1940's on up through the 70's.

5. The sixties was a transitional time for those; tube tires were finally completely disappearing except for a few specialty applications and for export models. The larger hole was for the 'heavy duty' type tubes when tubes were used. You can still get the larger stems, but will have to look for them a bit...

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The only spacers I have ever seen were to install tubes with small diameter stems into wheels with the larger hole. Never have seen, and doubt the existence of, spacers for tubeless tire valve stems.

The larger diameter tubeless valve stems have been readily available at my local parts houses as recently as a few months ago.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  7. clem

clem

Yes, I was talking only about tubed tyres. Just re read his post, and I guess that is the reason he 'cut' the stems out. I only run tubes on my older cars. Sorry to be of no help!

8. clem

clem

Interesting, over here I have never seen a rim with two holes for valve stems.

9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Not 2 holes in one rim, 2 different sizes depending on who made the rims. NASCAR rims have 2 holes when they run the inner liner.

clem likes this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

AutoZone will hook you up, IIRC, there are 3 different hole diameters, about 8 or 10 different styles of stems (bent, short, tall, ect), Just put a set of 4 in my '42...cost was about 6 or 7 bucks?

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Here is the Grommet used for skinny Stems into Large Holes IMG_0836.JPG

13. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

I have a related question:

I have a set of 16X4.5 repop rims (not sure of brand, bought them used). I have Coker Firestones on them, 4.50 & 7.50. I had them mounted at a tire shop. The 4.50s have a small valve stem on the tube, but the hole in the rim is larger, like being discussed here. I don't have the spacers as described here. I've always had concerns about the tube "walking" inside the rim and chaffing or rubbing through the tube/valve stem. Hasn't seemed to have been a problem so far, but it probably helps that they're on the front of the car too. Do I need the "spacers" as shown, or am I OK without? I've never heard of these "spacers" until now. Thanks!

14. There have always been different size valve stems. They are not like panty hose one size does not fit all. Just go to a good tire shop and find the right one and go on with life.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thank you all for the help, I will buy a bag of the larger size to keep on hand. Almost ready for another bag of the smaller size anyway, may as well get both.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Be careful. I had a motorcycle wheel with an extra hole for a rim lock that was not being used, so the tube was visible through the 5/16" diameter hole. One day it went flat, and on removal I discovered the tube had rotted a circle out in the open spot. My guess is the washing detergents, oils, sun and what not gathering in the hole had caused the rot. You may be OK given the thickness of the tube around the stem but you might want to fill the gap with something.

17. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I've never had a problem doing that but there's always a first time, thanks for the heads up.

Been awhile but maybe I've always clocked the rubber rim band to cover the open hole, I'll be paying closer attention next time.

Ed