Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical OK to mount slave cylinder upside down?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Jun 25, 2018.

1. 0F4CD539-F99C-4C48-9B2A-D7D3CB0C6553.jpeg

Seeing as we are talking physics, fluid dynamics, gravity, seems everything except cars ....... tits are fine as well!

Seems we should bring evolution into this as well !

2. evintho

evintho

You are correct, sir. I swapped all the guts side to side.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  3. Clearly that's not in the scope
    But man is that some funny shit!!!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. For fuck's sake.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As mammary serves me. They float to the surface as well when submerged underwater.
    [​IMG]

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thread locked in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...............:cool:

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My 2002's clutch was the same way. Moreover the take-up point changed from moment to moment. I wonder if it was due to the same cause.

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Quick before the thread closes: Pragmatism is the philosophical position that truth is that notion which "works". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pragmatism

9. XXL__

XXL__

Colloquialisms to keep the topic readable. The issue was actually always about bleeding an upside down slave cylinder, and my use of both "pressure" and "flow" are completely reasonable in the context. No, they are not the same, but they have a very direct correlation in the master/slave functional model being considered. Flow is literally a function of pressure. Next time you are in the vacuum of space, try pouring out your coffee and see how well it flows. When you get back to earth, try it again (gravity happens to have some of this pressure stuff in it-- pressure r flow).

Also, I added the asterisk in my comments for the nit pickers who might shoot down my generalizations as "completely false" (like 1.0000000001 = 1.000000002 is false... unless we are talking generalities of unit measurements).

While everyone is surely going to whip out their own cards on this, I have enough credentials in physics and mechanical engineering to stand confidently behind my comments in this thread. Whether you want to dispute my statements is absolutely your prerogative, but trying to disect my phraseology as the basis of your objection seems disingenous (see numeric generalization comment above).

/another 2 cents

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

A lot of factory apps have the slave tipped so the bleeder is lower than the piston end making it easyer to just unbolt the slave and turn it to get the bleeder to be the highest point. Same thing would work here. Ever try the clutch master cylinder on a 2000 Dodge Dakota?

dwollam likes this.
  11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

To all of you that say they never have had a problem with bleeder down it works fine, I say it is possible and probably does but you got lucky with the perfect storm of volumes and pressure

My take is unlike brakes a clutch operates against A fair amount of spring pressure in a push pull situation effectively turning both cylinders into masters and slaves, basically when the clutch is released the spring pressure of clutch now makes the slave a type master as it is now over coming the pedal without the mechanical pressure of your foot added, closed system , fluid travels the other direction, SO now if you have no free play and slave piston travels completely to the end , squishes all the air out the slave and the line.... YES it will bleed it self

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Unkl Ian likes this.
  12. Damn! I'm just glad that I have a mechanical clutch, the push rod don't care if it's up or down.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. What sort of steady state flow volume would be required,
    to keep air bubbles in suspension ?
    Anyone really think that a hydraulic clutch or brake system has this kind of flow ?

Or is someone just trying to show off their vocabulary ?

VANDENPLAS likes this.

14. Must be a Full Moon this week.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  15. IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1288.JPG

Now for the magic ,,,
    We orientate it correctly
    And tell the air to get out.
    Air defy the buoyancy
    Bubbles go down I say, down down
    ( takes powerful incantations)
    IMG_1288.JPG

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. The trolls have it,
    Next

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What a basket of 'deplorables' we have here....clinging to your outmoded theories of upright bleeder valves and stubborn 'air pockets'. :cool:

Ray :D

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. Lmao !!!
    Damn, I forgot the Frobscottle fluid in that post too.

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Must be amusing to the staff for having gone this far..

XXL__ likes this.
  20. XXL__

XXL__

Sorry. Just using words I learned in school. And, of course you knew before your facetious Troll Station trolling post, the concept isn't to try to "keep air bubbles in suspension." It is a single event of BLEEDING the cylinder being considered.

Going now to unsubscribe and update my user filters. Troll on.

Hnstray likes this.
  21. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

If you'ld like a fun experiment, here's a homework assignment related to the physics of different density fluids. In a closed car, tie a helium filled balloon with a two foot (+/-) string to something near the floor (shift lever, e-brake). Accelerate the car; what do you think the balloon will do? Make a right turn; what will the balloon do?

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I give up. I know that pressure and flow are two distinctly different things. I also know that bubbles go up in a fluid, unless there is enough flow to counteract it. Pressurization doesn't change that. All the big words and engineering/physics credentials don't change it either.

nitpick.png

I don't understand why anyone would argue against the laws of gravity.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And you are correct, Sir.

Hnstray likes this.
  24. Gravity is a theory still. Einsteins work (theories as well) set it up that way.
    Here's the Worlds current expert answering the question what is gravity. To me it sounds like the fox guarding the hen house explanation.

Any ways for sure and always working is heavy stuff falls and that never fails, lighter still rises and that never fails.

And bubbles go up because of buoyancy, not gravity.
    If not for buoyancy gravity would /supposed to pull the bubbles down.

According to the theory, gravity holds the air to the surface, and with at a greater force than the vacuume of space can try to suck it away.
    Ships sink in the water because of a lack of buoyancy or float because of buoyancy neither one has anything to do with gravity. Helium rises, hydrogen rises, and hot air rises because of buoyancy. A bit of comparative reasoning and bouyancy comes out as a force far and above gravity yet apples and rocks fall because of gravity. Awe shit you got me started. Vacuume is a force that we can measure but only against 14.7 PSI and its FUCKING strong. Gravity is a force and we can predict what will happen and apparently gravity is stronger than vacuum. And then there's buoyancy that whoops gravity's ass every time.
    I'd pick a fight with gravity before picking a fight with buoyancy.

Any ways bubbles go up unless you're in possession of the Frobscottle

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Moriarity and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. Same reason they insist on doing shit the wrong way.

26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If not for gravity there would be no buoyancy. Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaced. That weight is directly related to gravity. A bubble displaces an amount of fluid that weighs much more than the bubble does. Hence that bubble rises like a prom night pecker.

Isn't this fun?

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Richard Feynman explains a child hood experience that he observed when the ball in his wagon went to the back of it when he pulled his wagon forward.
    Back to the bleeder. Nature or the universe holds the answer in the simplest form. Sure you can over come an upside down bleeder via methods that will over ride it. But why go against logic? Is it so one can prove otherwise and be smarter? Is it smart to have the bleeder down because one can? What if for some unforeseen reason one isn't with they're magic tools traveling along the byway's and now you need to service your slave? Maybe you can't because somewhere in history after installing it you have to rely on someone else to repair said area for you? What then? All because you can manipulate nature only means she'll get back at you down the road sooner or later.
    K.I.S.S. the slave and all will be much easier for all times.

28. Yeah the theory :oops::oops::oops::p:D
    So we can see it happen, repeat it over and over and get the exact same results.
    In theory, an infinite amount of denser mass, non compressible too BTW, being pulled by gravity, and it moves out of the way for a bubble and let's the compressible bubble pass right on thru.

Apply that same logic to walking in the out door at a factory when the lunch bell rings. Make the group coming out is more dense too just for fun. All that mass headed to the gravity burger joint will push the other guy right in the door.

Hnstray and Johnny Gee like this.
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I really can't believe all the arguing about this. the plain simple truth is that there is a reason that every single bleeder on everything that gets bled faces up....think about it