Register now to get rid of these ads!

History OK - This will be Fun - What was your very first vehicle ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corncobcoupe, Dec 6, 2023.

1. jaracer

jaracer

1954 Mercury convertible that was setting in the weeds by a brake service garage. I talked the owner down to $40.00 because that was all I had. I was 14 at the time. It had a rear main leak, so my dad and I pulled the engine and put in a reground crankshaft that I think cost $60.00 exchange. My mom drove the car for two years until I got my license.

It was primer white when I got it. I had it painted by a family friend in exchange for 10 gallons of paint. That paint would never shine. Later a buddy painted it Coral Sand for me. merconvert.jpg

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

My first Hamb era car was and still is my '47 Plymouth which is my avatar but isn't. It's complicated. Come to think of it, at least 4 of my first cars were Hamb era. That must mean I'm old.

3. dwollam

dwollam

First car was a '61 Falcon 2dr bucket seat car, 144 with 3 on the tree. I live very close to where it died on my uncle in 1969 and he said if I could get it home I could have it. Got it running, had to hold it in 1st gear and grind into 2nd.
    I was almost 15. Dad and I shoehorned a '57 312 and automatic and a 9" into it and ran the snot out of it all the time.
    There has been at least 400 cars since that one. I think I still have the under dash gauge cluster and the 3 speed floor shifter that we installed after the automatic was pulled out.

Dave

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

1947 International panel truck. My uncle sold it to me for $25 when I was 13 yrs. old and I spent 6 months of my spare time on weekends rebuilding the carb, replacing rotted soft plugs, and some other cosmetic upgrades.
    I used to drive it around his 120 acre farm's perimeter road every chance I got to be there on his farm. The day I got my driver's license I insured it and drove it home.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

1968, my brother sold me this 59 wagon for 200.00. I cut my teeth on this thing. A lot of firsts!!!
    First brake job, tune up, valve adjustment, speeding ticket and best of all……that back end made it very comfy for parking.

IMG_0540.jpeg

6. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

No photos. I was 16, bought a ‘63 Nova. Originally a 6, PO put a 283/4-speed in it. I didn’t even know how to drive a stick. Engine was in bad shape, found another 283. I had big plans but no money, no tools, no money, no knowledge, no money, and if I didn’t mention it, no money. Ended up parting it out and junking the shell.

7. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

This is the first car that was “100% mine”and was a surprise gift from my dad in 1973. Had a few farm cars that I drove around the farm before this though, including a 1953 Dodge Coronet with a 241 hemi and the amazing gyromatic transmission. IMG_2454.jpeg IMG_1369.jpeg IMG_1336.jpeg IMG_1582.jpeg IMG_3333.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  8. The First car that I ever bought was a 1931 Chevy. The add in the news paper said a 1931 Chevrolet that needs restoration for $30. I was 14 at the time. I knew that my parents wouldn't see my dream?? lol So I had saved my own money, and really wanted to build a Hot Rod. I pictured chopping the top, and moving the cowl back to the rear doors. Picture a chopped bantam with a blow'n Hemi, some big meats on the rear, and skinny's up front. { An Ed Roth tee shirt Rod }. So after I got it home, I hacksawed it up, and never got it put back together.:rolleyes: Sorry for the bad pictures. I'm surprised that I even have these. 446.jpg 390.jpg Two years later, I bought my first driver, and it was an original 38 Chevy coupe. Then I later Hot Rodded it! But that's another story.

9. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

1964 Dodge 330 2-door sedan.

10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

These old pictures are cool…

11. I started out in my Dad's 46 Jeep. He's gone but the jeep is still around.
    First one that was actually mine was a 56 F100 panel. I've been doing some work on it lately. :)

12. CME1

CME1

My first car, a 1948 Studebaker 4-dr, my dad gave me after my older sister blew up the engine. Dad say's, you fix it , it's yours! I pulled the head, all six pistons were in pieces! I was 14 and the car was not something I wanted to spend my hard earned money on. So I sold it for $50.00. No pictures as you can guess why! My first Hot Rod, a 1934 Ford 5 window coupe, with a built 1948 Merc engine. I was 15 yrs old at the time. The picture is the "HOT ROD" and me in 1957. 002.jpg

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

1965, my first was a ‘40 Ford Deluxe coupe, mostly stock. I bought it for $65 from a surfer friend of my next door neighbor when his newly rebuilt flathead seized up. It happened just after his Mom drove over the side trim that he left sitting in the driveway. The straw that broke….you know. $35 of my own savings and $30 borrowed from Mom and Dad and we towed it home with a rope. lol
    My Dad and I pulled the engine out and rolled it over to pull the oil pan. We heard a clink. One of the pressure plate bolts had come out and wedged itself somewhere, locking up the engine. We pulled the pan anyway to check the torque on the rods and mains and stuff. Dad bought me my first torque wrench. It ran fine. I added a Thickstun 2x2 manifold and 97s along with a couple S-W gauges under the dash, all from Shell’s in Santa Monica purchased with lawn mowing money.
    I have one little B&W picture of it but I don’t know where it is right now.

14. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

1971 got a 54 chevy sedan delivery with a rod knock for 50 bucks. Put rings and bearings in it ran good. Lost interest sold it for $300.00 bought a one owner 64 El Camino

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

My 1926 Ford Model T Tudor delivered on New Years day 1967 (I'd just turned 16, no license yet) total cost was $220.00. It was rough but I rebuilt the chassis and drove it around the neighborhood, and took it to a local show. When I sold it it was a 1927 Touring. Many years later it showed up on eBay. The guy I sold it to never did much, then passed away, another guy bought it and sold it one piece at a time. I went to look at it but decided it just wasn't worth what he was asking. Someone on the HAMB bought the body and built a TROG car that raced on the sand. Great memories!
    DSCF7092.JPG DSCF7093.JPG DSCF7094.JPG

16. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first car I ever bought was a cool, 4 door, 1957 Plymouth Savoy, with a good running 318 and a typewriter transmission. I bought it from my dads wrecking yard for $100.00.

my dad's wrecking yard (2).jpg

Sadly I didn't own a camera back then and there are no pictures of it. But it looked just like this one, same color as well, but only highly oxidized. I was too lazy to use some buffing compound to make it shine.

57 plymouth 4 door savoy sedan (2).jpg

Back then in 1968, I was 15 and was a freshman in High School, all of my friends thought my Plymouth was ugly, but when it was time to go cruising around, it would hold a lot of people, it was big and roomy.

Ratty seat covers, and headliner falling down, I didn't care, it was transportation and gas was cheap.

I was hard on my cars and didn't respect them, because when and if I blew up the engines, or killed the automatic transmissions in them, I would sell them and get something else out of our wrecking yard.

When I discovered the stupid trick of punching the #2 button on the push button transmission, at 30 MPH and it would make the tires chirp because of the hard down shift, it didn't take long for that transmission to start slipping, so I began carrying around extra transmission fluid, because the front seal was always leaking.

I Got tired of that and sold it for $100.00 to a guy that saw it out front of our wrecking yard.

The car made it as far as Salinas, and that is where that guy left it abandoned along side of the road, back then, there wasn't any reporting slips, that could be filled out to show that the car had been sold, so I was surprised to get a notice in the mail, from the Salinas Police Department for me to come pick up my abandoned vehicle.

That guy never transferred the title to his name after he bought it.

That cool old Plymouth, got it's revenge on me, for mistreating it the way I did, so that was my first experience in having to prove it wasn't my car anymore, after selling a vehicle.

1970 rolls around I was 17 and I was a Junior in High school, it was a time of sex, drugs, and rock and roll, and the element of wanting to be a cool, hippie freak, march to a different drummer, type of weirdo, and that is when I bought the very cool, highly impractical, utterly ridiculous, 1941 GMC K-18 Signal Corps, 4 door panel wagon!

4-9-2011 1;49;22 PM K18 signal corp truck  3 (2).JPG
    k-18 in 1971-3.JPG
    k-18 in 1971-1.JPG
    k-18 in 1971-2.JPG

I was determined to have something totally different from everybody else's cars and trucks, and this was my first real contact, with just being different than everybody else.

I am sure that @anthony myrick can relate !

I bought that truck for $350.00 and I had to make payments of $25.00 a month till I got it paid off. It took me a while, but by Senior year in High school, I finally got it paid off, and I started driving it to school and all over.

When I sold it a few years ago, I was smart enough to take a picture of the pink slip from 1971, back when they were really small.

IMG_1650.JPG

The guy I sold it to, bought it from me for $650.00, it hadn't run since 1971, and I figured I had doubled my money.

The new owner had it transported over to San Jose California and he was going to dump a ton of money into it, to make it a really road worthy rig, I told him he could plan on dumping anywhere from 50-K to potentially 100-K to achieve what he had described.

He came to his senses and put it on BAT and some deep pockets bought it for $9000.00 and it now lives in an Aviation museum in Bakersfield California, awaiting it's turn to be restored !

bakersfield K-18 (2).jpg

In 2016, coming back from the CHRR, I was able to stop in San Jose, and see the truck again, before it got sold to the Museum in Bakersfield.

41 GMC K-18 side view (2).JPG
    DSC_3796 (2).JPG
    IMG_3253MA31291520-0006 (2).JPG

Of all of the rigs I have owned over the years, this particular one, really stand's out in my memory of, it teaching me how to work on vehicles, and just how expensive truck parts and components are.
    Proud to say, this wasn't my last adventure, or rig that I poured a bunch of money into just to be different and to have a lot of fun!

But I will say that at age 70 now, I tend to be more practical, and have stashed a bunch of money over the years!

Financial stability, and being thrifty and frugal, sometimes takes years, for that notion to set in!
    Your results may vary!
    Thank's from Dennis.

rose BED (2).jpg

17. lilCowboy

lilCowboy

I was 15 . It was a 1957 chevy 4 dr wagon, paid $300 (no motor or trans)sold a couple bmx bikes to pay for it, My Dad had a 265/cast iron powerglide we stuck in it.

18. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

At 16 Pops handed me keys to both family cars:
    '53 Ford 2dr, OHV6-Fordomatic + "53 Dodge 4dr Flat 6-Gyromatic.
    The reason being, I was a main actor in bringing home 'The Bacon'
    Six months later, after saying to my buddy 'watch this' took a turn at speed and stuffed it up a tree.
    It got replaced with a brand new '65 Chevelle 4dr SW, 283 2bbl, 3 on tree, 410 rear.
    Three months later the rebuilt, 53 Ford motor went south.
    Pops then handed me registration ( my name ) and keys to a '56 Dodge * D500 * Coronet 2dr hardtop.
    One owner 80,000 miles. Life was good.:) even tho my time was not my own, between school and 2 jobs working for Pops ( newspapers ) and his brother ( Gulf station )
    Three years ( and 2 cars ) later my, Mom took the pic for my avatar

19. [​IMG]
    I got it in 1958-59 . Still have it. After a complete rebuild to nearly as it was in early 60’s. Much nicer now.

20. 327Eric

327Eric

This was my first. Forty years ago, when I was 12. It has been st up for 4 different engines, I had the chassis done 20 years ago, and have yet to drive it. My first Driver was a 66 C10 that is being re created using the 65 in the background. Maybe I will be able to find original pics before this thread dies out IMG_20210305_171159.jpg

21. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

First car was a 55 Chevy convertible. Bought it as salvage from the 1957 Ruskin Heights tornado (suburb of Kansas City) and my dad and I rebuilt it. Dont remember the cost but had to be cheap since I didn't have much money in 1957. Had lots of flying debris damage and taught me to never buy another car from a tornado!

22. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got my very first car when I was 16. It was a '41 Ford coupe that I traded my motorcycle for. It had an all Olds drive line and ran pretty strong. Well, it wasn't long before my Dad started hearing from friends and neighbors about my antics in the car. He told me 'that things gotta go'. My next car was a '50 Ford that I put a 265 Chevy in and drove during my senior year in high school. After graduating high school I joined the Navy and the Ford got stored in a neighbors garage. After a year it was clear that I wasn't going to be able bring the Ford to my duty station so it got sold.

Jim_Illinois 1959.jpg

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1972. 15 years old.

"Dad, can I buy that 1938 Chevy 4dr the neighbors across the street have for sale?"
    "Sure... if you can pay for it."

I think he thought I couldn't swing it. But I'd been saving up my paper route money. The asking price was $300. I offered $237. Every dollar I had. They accepted!

It wasn't perfect, that's for sure. But it was all original and ran and drove. Had a burgundy Earl Scheib paint job. Not so bad, really. I had visions of working on it in auto shop class and ferrying friends and cheerleaders and whoever to football games and stuff. Paint it up for homecoming and everything. You know.

But when I turned 16, my mother announced that none of her kids were going to be allowed to have their driver's licenses until 18 years old.
    Can you hear the air going out of my fkng balloon?
    Mom and Dad also complained that the Chevy was taking up too much room and we needed to put it elsewhere. A friend's barn outside of town. I got to see it once every few months for a couple years.

In the meantime, Mom announced that I better get a job cuz she didn't want to have me hanging around the house all summer. Dad helped me to get a job as a beginner draftsman in the city, an hour away. He made me buy his friend's 1964 Mercury Montclair 4dr to drive. I procured my driver's license and began working 6 days a week.

As a final blow, the people living on the farm where the Chevy was being kept sold their place. We brought the old Chevy back to the house. I was happy to have it back. But it wasn't long before my parents were saying once again that the car was taking up too much room... and I had to sell it.

So it wasn't okay for me to have my license and the old Chevy, but it was apparently okay for me to have a license and the stupid Montclair 4dr with a "breezeway" window so I could work. :(

I'd share a couple pictures of me at 16 years old sitting on the running board of the chevy, smiling big after giving it a thorough scrubbing and wax job, but I can't cuz my brother has the pictures and we don't talk.

You're right, Cob.
    This is fun.

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I was 14 and bought a '62 Chrysler Imperial. IIRC it was a 2-door with a 413. Paid $100. Owned it less than a week (never even brought it home) and sold it for $400. Mom n dad never even knew I bought it.

25. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

63 buick le sabre.that was the first car i learn to drive.
    Yes i have had many cars since then.
    Writing this while sitting on front couch of "cough (78 town car)cough.

26. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

My first car was barely to new to be hamb friendly in 74, it didn’t run. I paid 125$ bucks for it with the chain tow to my house ( about 20 miles). My first hamb friendly car was a 64 impala convertible a complete pos. 6 cylinder 3 on the tree in an impala, I paid 90 bucks for it. 135 k on the odometer and smoking badly and so rusty and every panel bent, but the top went up and down so I was having fun my senior year, rusty rear brake line capped off in all.

27. CA. 280

CA. 280

1956. 14 tears old, 32 Ford Cabriolet, no engine or tranny. $40.00 of hard earned paper route money.
    Was under the house of a friend, deal was I could work on it there. Never did of course, probably went to the scrappers. No paper work involved of course.

28. deucemac

deucemac

At the ripe old age of 14, I decided that I needed a car. I approached my father and told him so. His reply was, " when you can afford to buy a car, you can own one". I guess he figured that I would never have enough money and wasn't worried about it. Two weeks later, I announced that I had enough money and wanted to go car shopping. He hadn't realized that I had been salting away money from odd jobs an occasional babysitting gigs (I was determined). I wanted a 46-48 Ford coupe and we found one at Beseler Motors at 32nd and Main in San Diego. Right across the street from the Naval Station. I found a 48 Ford coupe (non running of course) and for the tidy sum of $82, including tax, Beseler had his mechanic tow it to my house. Thus ended the use of our one car garage for my father until I joined the Air Force 4 years later. I got it running with a different motor and drove it when I turned 16. My love affair with automobiles in general had me trade it off 3 times before finally selling it for good at 18. Almost 62 years later, I retained a soft spot in my heart for 46-48 Ford and Mercury coupes.

29. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

30. I guess my first HAMB-friendly vehicle was a 63 C10 short wide bed. I bought it for $200 back when those junk trucks were still reasonable and totally rebuilt it my senior year of high school from the frame up including paint, suspension, interior, etc. I basically took a pasture truck and made it a show truck. I put a 400 in it that was a decent little motor and it was fun to drive. But, I made it too nice and ended up not really liking it that much in the end. So, I sold it before I graduated. Man, as I type this, I can't believe how fast I used to get stuff done... :oops:

The start
    IMG_8804.jpeg