Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok, someone 'splain th ending to 2 Ln Blktop for me???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burndup, Sep 6, 2003.

1. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Found it at the flockfuster by happenstance...

The audience gave it positive marks...

But whats up with that ending?

Does the dude wind up with fiery burning death because he's sore about that jailbait ho? Or were they just outta film?

No way that El camino coulda been a serious drag car unless they had filled the tailgate with either lead or concrete...

I think the GTO guy was my Business administration professor... imagine him today, same sideburns, but with a really gnarly comb-over...

Well, its been five minutes, I have to go outside and check my valves and carb jets again for the 15th time...

-J

2. my take on it is this...

with the whole premise of the movie being this cross country race,, and then all of them getting to be friends of sorts.. the race for pinks just fell thru...

i thought the end was perfect, in a surreal sort of way..

as for all the adjusments,, the car likely was a solid lifter engine, which back in those days needed constant adjusting especially after severe floggings..

as for jetting... with it being a cross country trip,, i would expect to have to change jets alot, to maintain as good a tune and stay competitive..

and besides,, they needed filler dialog... [​IMG]

that movie is like a journey in a time machine, not only with the machines of the day, but life in general.

i bought a copy here a few months ago, and watched it maybe 4 or 5 times in a couple of days,,

it starts to make perfect sense after about the 4th viewing, perhaps it is my age beginning to creep up on me. Was quite interesting how one can relate to all the different characters in different times in ones own life.

and the 55 didnt do anything but help mattters for me..

bob

3. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

It has an ending?
    -Jesse

4. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

I've seen it, but am fuzzy on how the ending goes.
    The movie had these errie-but-thoughtful moments, just moments of "natural" sounds 'n silence, as if they filmed against the Hollywood-esque grain.
    I liked it, but the ending I guess was least important to me.
    But the two guys' lives seemed really aimless, maybe that was the only way the screenwriter/directors could figure out how to put a final period mark at the end of the film. Shoulda left room for a sequel. [​IMG]

5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

"Their world is a Two Lane Blacktop, no beginning, no end, and no speed limit"

...or something like that written right on the box!

The characters in the film do what they do and go where it takes them, it's a continuing cycle that changes from time to time, but doesn't really end. When ONE race is over, there's always the next one to think about...

"You can never go fast enough!"

The burndup film ending gave the movie an "out"...let's it end just as it begun...with a race...one to the next...

6. Mojo

Mojo

It really has that nihilistic 70's feel to it. I really liked the ending... the projector melting the film effect was inventive, and fit the film perfectly. You kinda just stepped into their world, rode with them, and left like it was no big deal.

You guys remember how friggin wierd American Graffiti 2 was? That split screen stuff gave me a headache...

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

The AG series could have went on indefinately if it had been written right. The first one was great, the second should have just cropped up all new characters and had cameo appearances from the other members. Just my opinion.
    Actually I thought 2 lane blacktop kinda sucked. I had never seen it til a few years ago.

8. Robert

Robert

Thanks Roothawg, I also thought it sucked. In fact it was the worst movie I have ever seen. That 55 was a piece of sh*t!

9. plan9

plan9

i just wish the sounds were more accurate... same with american grafitti... i want to hear the damn cars!!

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

AG had a lot of accurate things in it. I had heard lots of people ranting about 2 lane BT....so I finally watched it. It was OK for filler but no AG.

11. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Roothawg, I also thought it sucked. In fact it was the worst movie I have ever seen. That 55 was a piece of sh*t!

[/ QUOTE ]

You saw that 55 again in American Grafitti. After a paint job, hood scoop, and tire change, it's Falfa's car.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Really? I did not know that.....

13. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

The guy who bought it after filming was done on AG found the slicks from Two Lane Black Top in the trunk.

14. some of you may call the car a pos, or think of it as something less than what you would want...

but in 1971 give or take a decade,, that was about the coolest damned look on the street.

all business,, no frills,, no billet. no bullshit...

and as a movie car, it still ran 10's way back then.

also it might do to add that, while the movie subject matter is basically about that 55, the folks that made that movie were trying to put across alot of other stuff that related to life, the times, philosophy and just plain art if you like.

sometimes this sort of mix is hard for some to understand, i first saw the movie maybe 10 years ago, and i was like a lot of you guys,, i thought it basically stunk... but alas a few years and life changes brings about an appreciation for the other facets of the movie..

i venture to say that perhaps the younger guys might not grasp all of what was presented in the movie,, but if you watch it again later in life it is amazing how much there really is in that movie..

personally i have soft spot for 55 chevs in general,, but from a car nut perspective i enjoyed AG, California Kid, and a few others on the car merits.. hard not to get wood over the little deuce coupe, the 58 impala, and that 34 ford that martin sheen drove....

bob

15. injectedA

injectedA

It's a MOVIE.

16. I loved it. It came out when the muscle cars were forcing the hot rods out of favor. You could go down to your favorite dealer showroom and buy a fast car when before that, you hadda build your own hot rod.
    I think I identified with the 55 chevy guys in the movie because I was driving a jacked 57 Pontiac with a later 389 and 4 speed. I'd built it myself after returning from the army in '69. I really took pleasure in beating the guys in their 64-65 GTO's. Won some, lost some but either way, I always surprised the other guy with my tall,funny lookin Pontiac 2 door sedan...
    I liked the movie even better than A.G. but I liked it too. I will agree, the plot is a little thin in places and I always wondered if the ending was when the production company just ran outa money......

17. Greezy

Greezy

I read somewhere before in a movie forum I believe, that there were two endings shot one of wich the 55 ends in a crash. Woulda sucked for Dennis Wilson to half to walk all the way back to Cali.

18. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Screw the ending, someone explain how every guy in the flick thought "The Girl" was attractive.
    I don't get it.

19. Mojo

Mojo

I don't she was treated as attractive, as much as a easy parking lot fuc... er, I mean, being "easy to get along with"... [​IMG]

20. Greezy

Greezy

umm lets see...she was the only chick in the movie besides the needy bitch who was with the Duece guy.

21. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    someone explain how every guy in the flick thought "The Girl" was attractive.

[/ QUOTE ]

THATS what I've been waiting for... Damn, the budget was so freakin low, thats the best they could do?

The coulda ran past ANY college campus and picked out something much more tasty... and the odds woulda been incredibly high that she'd be a better actress... and not look like a 14 yr old...

They should let ME make movies...

22. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Yeah, Burn, if some goofy looking jackass can pay a GOOD LOOKING 19 year old for sex to be displayed on the internet, they could have found a better looking "The Girl."