Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ok, so what the hell is it?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Deuces

Deuces

IMG_20181210_073438.jpg IMG_20181210_073427.jpg IMG_20181210_073453.jpg IMG_20181210_073355.jpg
    A kid that works with us brought this contraption into work and we're trying to figure out what it is.... The two dials have mirrors on both sides....:confused:o_O

Bleach, loudbang and ct1932ford like this.
  2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John Bean made (and still makes) a wheel alignment system for years. I'd say that this is part of one of those systems. I think the company is now owned by SnapOn.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Caster gauge, I think.

4. Deuces

Deuces

Cool! Looks pretty old.. Probably from the late '40s er early '50s.. There's no date on it.. His grandfather gave that to him before he passed away....

loudbang likes this.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yep, turn wheel one way, set bubble and dial to zero, turn other way, rotate to set bubble, read dial. Other bubble is camber. Mirrors might do toe in somehow, mine doesn't have them.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Cool! Thanks so much guys...:);):cool:

loudbang likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@Deuces I have to ask. You've never seen one used before?

8. Deuces

Deuces

Ummmm.... Nope!:confused::(:oops:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's cool. Not saying you were but I was a late bloomer in the world of auto repair. Not until 17 (1979) did I ever attempt to work on a car. Hell, I still don't know what I'm doing. That's why I'm here. I just remember seeing those when I'd go with my Dad to get tires put on the family car.

10. Deuces

Deuces

It's the first time I seen one of those.... Just wasn't sure what the hell it was.... :confused::)

loudbang likes this.
  11. Are you guys positive it's not for calibrating a Henway? o_O

Flathead Dave, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

At least the angle finding tool isn't relative to the heat of the meat. But that's another thing entirely.

Deuces likes this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Like most hot rodders, I suspect, most of my years have been spent learning about engines and drive trains. Wasn't until fairly recently that I (being a DIYer) was forced via a new project into learning about alignment, ackerman, bump steer, scrub radius...easily as complex as engine building. Fortunately some guys here on the Hamb know it backwards and forwards, which is what makes this place such a great asset.

loudbang, Deuces and Johnny Gee like this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Other than a different design it looks like the Longacre one we use on our dirt track car. It has 2 levels and 2 dials for checking caster and camber...all you need is 2 18" square aluminum sheets with grease between them under each front tire and I'm sure it will still function. The hole on he end looks like it will cover any hub nut. I believe some of the hubs are much smaller now so the magnets on the end may may not allow it be placed on the hub.

loudbang likes this.
  16. KenC

KenC

I used to have a similar tool. Instead of the aluminum/grease, I found that several sheets of newspaper worked as well. Just be sure they are flat, no folds.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Based on these examples of caster and camber I just use mini plumb bobs. No need to turn wheels left or right. I do how ever use a plate with pipes under them so tires can move freely when doing camber.
    [​IMG]

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks fellas!.... :)

loudbang likes this.
  19. Cool. Maybe it was named after my Grandfather, John Bean.... Picture 19520.jpg

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  20. Fireball Five

Fireball Five

Yessir, blowby and others got it right, I don't know what mfgr. called them, it's a caster-camber gauge to me and one of the slickest tools there is. I mentioned in post a while back my uncle had one I used a lot when running a Chevy with stock A frames in hobby stock. I believe hitting a shadow too fast would spring one.
    The difference in steering effort with proper caster on both sides is tremendous. as well as the fraction of second it takes for steering correction to catch a spin out or evade "help" on your rear bumper.
    I never used greased sheets under wheels, just jacked front enough to take weight off when turning.
    For toe in-out adjustment I used 2 sheets of rigid 3/4 plywood or particle board about same size as tire dia., propped or held against each tire then measure across floor at front and rear corners.
    Fireball 5

Deuces, loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

One man operation and no droopy tape.

Deuces likes this.
  22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

So it's NOT a self-propelled racing collett?

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Don’t mean to be repetitious, but it has “ positive Camber” printed on the scale, in the first picture. Lol

Bones

Deuces and Beanscoot like this.