Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok...Ok...Clutch chatter...don't hammer me to hard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dan sutton, May 24, 2012.

1. dan sutton

dan sutton

Ok...I have searched every thread on clutch chatter. Have a bad problem. Here's the set-up...ran an original 216 with T5, 3" blocks, original leaf springs, junk yard drive shaft, Chevy 10 bolt, original clutch and flywheel in a '48 Chevy truck for a year...no probs!!!
    Changed in Dec to a 283, new flywheel, new pressure plate, same disc, new TO bearing and arm, same linkage, same T5, new mounts...and I have chatter. Checked...pinion angle...adjusted today...no change, checked clutch and flywheel...no obvious prob...checked all bolts...new trans mount...changed engine mounts...no change! Replacement T5! Had second pair of eyes today...nothing obvious! Have NOT changed clutch spring, or pulled new flywheel off to have surfaced! Have NOT installed anti-chatter rods on trans! Really bad chatter in reverse..mild in 1st! Goes away if I can get to the point of letting the clutch out all the way.! By the way...have an oil leak near the back of the manifold...runs down the bellhousing. But after removing the trans and clutch...no oil on inside of bellhousing. Clutch was dry!! Today, we replaced the rear trans mount, made sure everything was tight, adjusted the pinion angle some.

2. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

3. Not sure what vehicle you have but with everything you've done it may in fact "NOT" be clutch chatter. 3" lowering blocks, good V-8 and worn out rear springs = Spring Wrap, that has the same feeling as Clutch Chatter. Just something you may want to check into. If yuor un sure if that is what's going on remove the blocks and drive it, then put them back in.
    The Wizzard

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Your disc may be glazed.

5. dan sutton

dan sutton

Thats why I posted what I did...the vehicle is a '48 Chevy truck...and it did not chatter with the same set-up, ie. rear springs and blocks...with the 216. It "chatters" as the clutch pedal is slowly released. Severly in reverse. Am I missing something?
    Jack
    I will look again at the comments on that thread, but I think I already have
    Gasser
    I will look into having the disc relined also.

6. F&J

F&J

I know it will be work, but the first thing I would do at this point, is take off the pressure plate and disc, and run a dial indicator on the flywheel at the mid point and out at the farthest edge also.

I would almost bet it has major runout, because you made it so clear on when it started and what was changed at that time, and what things you did check and replaced, since then.

The one that I mentioned in the link that Jack put up; that one was 16 thousandths off with a brand new repro SBC flywheel. But, it turned out to be the crank flange was slightly bent. It does not take very much at the flange, to make a huge error out at the edge of a 10 or 11" disc face contact point on the flywheel.

7. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from Lodi, CA

Can you elaborate, or point me to a video that shows this being done? I have been cracking ears off my trans, and this is one thing that I was told to check. I cant wrap my head around where the indicator would be mounted, and running against the flywheel.

Thanks, and sorry if this is considered hijacking a post.

8. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from Lodi, CA

After I asked for some clarification, I climbed under and did what I thought was best. Off the bell housing and on the furthest edge of the clutch wear pattern on the flywheel I got a reading that was between .005- .007 on a 360 rotation of the flywheel. Is that too far out?

9. F&J

F&J

Just me, but if you can afford the 35 or $40 to get it reground, I think I would.

i think there should be a spec on that runout in a service manual, or online, but I would think they tend to stay on the light end of specs, to be on the safe side.

The problem with a high spot, is that it gets more friction, and then more heat, which can cause those lumpy hard spots that you sometimes see.

10. F&J

F&J

Edit: If your engine is one like an earlier internal balanced SBC, that can have the flywheel installed in 6 different spots in relation to the crank?... then take an hour to try this:

Pull the flywheel off and check with a short fine file to see if there are any raised burrs on the crank flange or flywheel mating surface.

Then, try all 6 positions with the dial indicator test. You may get lucky and get that runout to be half of what it is, with a bit of trial and error. I think it's worth a try.

Some engines are designed so that the flywheel only fits in one position, but on those, it still pays to look for burrs on the mating surfaces. Just a very small imperfection on a crank hub, that may have been nicked or dropped, will cause a huge amount of runout at the furthest edge of the flywheel.

11. I have purchased new and or remanufactured pressure plates that were poor as well. Hell I even got a bad ZOOM pressure plate once. Aside from all the other advice I would get the pressure plate out and give it a good once over. make sure that it is good and flat, look for obvious cracks or broken springs.

Something else to look at is the face of the pressure plate, if you are actually experiencing clutch chatter there will be scuff marks that at a glance appear to be cupping on the flywheel.

12. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Have the flywheel turned and install a new disc. I had this same issue a while back and it cured it.