Register now to get rid of these ads!

OK Kustom Headers, Flint MI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 70L34, Dec 27, 2009.

1. 70L34

70L34
    from Detroit

I came across a set of 55-57 Chevy SBC headers made by Kustom Equipment in Flint, MI. Pretty familiar with the company's history but I wanted to know if there's any way to know when these headers were made. There is a nameplate tacked to one of the passenger side primary tubes that reads 'OK Kustom, Kustom Equipment Company, Flint Michigan' and the collectors have a round 4-bolt flange.

Appreciate the help!

Tony

2. 70L34

70L34
    from Detroit

Still looking for info on these headers.

3. Rick Beil

Rick Beil

I worked at speed shops for 12 years from the late 60's to 70's. Kustom headers were available about 69 till around 75 or so. They had a big deal large tube (17/8" primaries) for SB chevys starting around "Nationals" time in 1970. There was a big push on them for the racing crowd. The advertized "Bolt on a tenth".
    Had a customer in Dayton get a set of em for a 66 Nova C/MP. They did not fit worth a darn. Too big the primaries hit everything. Never got em on the car.
    Some people had good luck with them however from what I was told back then.

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Oh man!!! Don't tell Matt at Ionia Speed Shop you have those. Kustom Equipment did a ton of headers back in the day. Good stuff. I remember seeing the shop when i was a kid. Now the building is a pond equipment supplies store.... I'll see if I can get more info from a guy I know who has a set on the 302 DZ in his Kustom Eq Vette showcar.

5. jdubbya

jdubbya

Kustom Equipment was located just a few miles from my house, and was the place to go drool when I was a broke teenager in the 80's. In 1992, Kustom owner Dave Lunkas was a passenger in a ridiculously powered T-bucket that was racing a motorcycle on the streets of Flint, after touching a curb with the rear slick, he and car owner/ driver Bruce Shoemaker were killed at the scene. The family attempted to keep the shop open, but it folded up just a few years later.

6. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Don't remember the exact time frame but remember being commissioned by one of Kustom's inside guys to create a set of drawings of their Camaro Z-28 headers-the ones that came in the trunk. They had created a header concept by building/fabbing on the car. Problem was, the hot dogs at Chevrolet Engineering couldn't convince Central Office Purchasing to buy them based on only a sample-Purchasing insisted on a drawing or blue prints. A friend and myself took a set home and propped them up on my basement floor (surface plate with a 9" grid pattern). With a combination square we started picking up points and plotting them. we faked a reasonable set of pictures of the headers then ran blue prints of our drawing at work: Chevrolet Mfg in downtown Flint. The B/Ps satisfied Chevrolet Purchasing and the headers were sold. My pay was an old 2 X 4 Manifold from a 270 H.P. 283 with two AFBs. So what year were the first Z-28s? I just can't remember the name of the guy we worked for. At that time the Ogoreck brothers owned the place.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  7. 70L34

70L34
    from Detroit

It took me almost 6 years to discover your replies to my thread...but here's a late 'thank you' for responding! Dale, what an awesome story. The first Z Camaros came out in mid '67.