Register now to get rid of these ads!

*#* OK,here is the I love my banger Feb 2014 Banger meet *#*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Feb 2, 2014.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Looking for a 3-3/8" 5000 rpm tach. I have a S-W wings 8000 rpm tach that is bounces all over the place.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Years ago I had a problem with a bouncing tach in a Porsche. Problem was with cable, Too tight or loose can't remember. Might have been length.

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Removed and reinstalled the tach and everything is fine. I can only assume that the wiring wasn't as good as it could be.

4. Senior moment, the last time I had a similar problem was with what we used to call a "mechanical" tach. Course that was a long time ago. 1957 to be exact.

5. That's OK Bill, I still have one on the dyno to cross ref against the "electronic" type.

6. Wardog

Wardog

I have no water in my oil and no oil in my water so am I going to be ok to just check the torque on the head nuts? If so what is the torque setting? Or is this normal?

Attached Files:

7. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

"normal" especially if you run antifreeze of Water Wetter" Be careful not to over torque. As my grandfather used to say "a little stain is better than a broken stud"

8. I like that advise Steve. Works for underwear too. 45 ft/lbs of the head nuts. Make sure to torque them in the right order

9. CDO, looking forward to seeing you there.
    Will have plenty of "adult soda" if you know what I mean.

Will be at Antique Nats snooping around.

J

10. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

Damn it's March already! Do we have a March thread? Got to get back to those tax returns....they're not going to prepare themselves.

March on........

11. I would go to at least 55 lbs cold. Check the condition of the threads first. I back the nuts off 1/4 turn then retighten to the torque # that turns you on. Check again when you think about it until you get no further movement of the nut. Some say cold some say warm lotta theories and BS thinkers out there. Aluminum or cast. stock studs or chrome moly, oil or dry damn, what to do? When I was a kid a guy at the Chevy garage said to tighten the Chevy 6 head bolts till they popped or snapped once. Model A's didn't pop they stripped !! Probably 1949 or 50! This was with a ratchet as very few shade tree guys had torque wrenches. Mighta been with a Crescent wrench.We didn't know any better. If it was loose we tightened it !!

12. Take Bills advice not mine. He knows what he's talking about. I'm just another hack. He's a pro !!:)

13. There are no hack's and pro's its just a bunch of guy's trying to help a bunch of guy's !

14. True Bill but personally I would trust you before me. I only know what I read. I have limited experience compared to you.

15. Wardog

Wardog

Thanks for the help guys. As for the right order to tighten them, is a circular pattern starting in the center working out correct?

16. [​IMG]
    Hope this helps. From Les Andrews book

17. Wardog

Wardog

Tiny, That is perfect! Thank you.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Jiminy

Jiminy