Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok American Graffitti & Hollywood Knight what else

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saoutlaws_Gotti, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

Ok we all know about American Graffitti & Hollywood Knights but what other movies have good Hot Rod Related Scripts

2. ks662

ks662

I don't know about scripts but how about some vanishing point history.Picture of the camaro crash car and other interesting facts.
    http://home.columbus.rr.com/moabutahman/Vanishing%20Point/vpbehind.htm

3. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Heart Like A Wheel - the Shirley Muldowney (sp?) Story

4. Steve Mc Queen in "Lemans", not much on dialog but alot on the race itself. I believe McQueen was one of the producers {have to look again}and really wanted to show the experience from the racers point of view.
    James Garner in "Grand Prix" was a little more hollywood but good non the less. Cameras were mounted on several of the racers themselves cars. Great at-speed shots!
    somebody else already posted the european ferrari in france thing, I think it was called "rondeveoux" {pardon the poor spelling}
    R.R.

5. classicfins

classicfins

Fast Company around '78 or 79. Good guy vs bad guy funny car movie.

6. Heart Like a Wheel just came out lat 2006.

If you're talking some good old car movies with some really good foreground and background scenery, I also recommend:
    -Two Lane Blacktop
    -LeMans
    -Grand Prix
    -Vanishing Point (original)
    -More American Grafittiti
    -White Lightning
    -Christine

I own these and recommend them. I'm slowly building my collection :)

7. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Not exactly a hot rod movie, but the ORIGINAL gone in 60 seconds

cs39ford likes this.
  8. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Thunder Road, Two Lane Blacktop and Greased Lightning are three car based movies with a fairly believable plot. So is Heart Like a Wheel. No offense to anyone, but I believe that "Graffitti" is one of the worst movies ever. The reality level of that flick a -0 and is about the equivilent of The Dukes of Hazard as to what hauling 'shine was really like. Hollywood Knights isn't much better, but at least there were more interesting cars to watch.

Jan

9. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

and Bullit

LOU WELLS likes this.
  10. beauishere

beauishere

I coulda let this pass but I just can't. American Graffiti? Worst movie ever? Not real? (ok...no name calling ...no hitting ...no 'f'bombs)

I respectfully disagree. It's blasphemy. We oughta tie you to the car and drag ya.

LOU WELLS and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  11. uh ohh! this could get ugly!

12. FastJaggersSC

FastJaggersSC

corvette summer.. haha remember that?

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Where were you in 62? Since I am of the Graffiti generation it actually was not too far off the mark .We Cruised,we picked up chicks, we had our Drive Inns where the" cool rods" hung out and Midnight Drags out in the country to see who the top dog was,it happened! One scene in the movie we even pulled off,we had a rookie cop who was writing "excessive noise" tickets to anyone with glasspacks,one night at SteaknShake when he went to the john a buddy tied a towrope around his muffler tied the other end to a light pole and we put in a call,He pulled out the whole exhaust when he took off!:D :)

sunbeam likes this.
  14. Big Dad

Big Dad

American Graffitti is dead on .. been there, done that got the scar to prove it

showing your age ..respect your elders

LOU WELLS likes this.
  15. Paul Y

Paul Y

What about Hot Rod? The one with the Willy's coupe and Sonny Munn in his 442 Olds?

Not the best film in the world but the bit where the guy asks him what he is running in the Willys when he offers him out for a street race is classic.

"Black and Decker marine pump"

P.

16. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

California Kid, Hot Rod Gang, Aloha Bobby and Rose, just a few. Gary

17. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

American Graffiti is a masterpiece. How could it not be, it was directed by George Lucas (director of Star Wars and many other classics), and a lot of the actors (Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, Harrison Ford) are now famous.

18. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

Heart Like A Wheel was released on video in 2006 it was in theaters in 1983.

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

These are certainly not traditional car films, but.....

Never before on film has a 60 chevy been subjected to as many clutch dumping burnouts as in Jeepers Creepers. And in a strange way, Joe Dirt is almost a car movie.

20. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Thunder Road has to be one of the best unintentional comedies of all time. What's believable about purposely rolling your car over as a form of u-turn to get away from the cops? My wife and I have a running joke about the scene with Keely Smith where Mitchum is trying to act like a world traveller. He says something about eating in fancy restaurants to impress her and the says "I know what a mobile is". What? How freakin random is that to impress a chick. And she's got one in her lieaving room! She probably already knows what the dang thing is!

Anyhow, I disagree that the cars are more interesting in Hollywood Knights. In fact, I think Hollywood Knights is barely a car movie.

American Graffiti, outside of being a great car movie, is a classic American film. Some of the techniques in shooting and storytelling were firsts in Hollywood. Looking back, you may not notice how revolutionary the film was. That's because so many directors have copied Lucas since then. And the acting between AG and Thunder Road is night and day. Ron Howard and Richard Dreyfus vs. Robert Mitchum and Keely Smith is not even close. Keely is one of my favorite singers, but she sure can't act.

I could really go on and on, but you get the picture. To say that the cars are less interesting than Project X is a little strange to me. But to say it's one of the worst of all time is just wrong.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  21. Flatman

Flatman

I second that! Stealing an engine from a cop car with a tow truck, all to the tune "I fought the Law" by the Bobby Fuller Four was classic.

Flatman

22. pecker head

pecker head

Anybody see a movie called LOSING IT ?

23. RetroJoe

RetroJoe

King of the Mountain
    The Lively Set
    Better Off Dead, just to see the Camaro!LOL!

24. American Graffiti

just watched it last night, if you liked the movie rent the dvd.

I think the extra's that they put in were as good as the movie.
    heck the movie is 105 min long and the extra's were just as good and almost as long as the movie.
    it was great to hear the actors now, talking about what they were thinking when making the movie.
    like the shot where toad go's to get off the vespa and runs into the news paper machine was a real accident. toad didn't know how to ride a bike.
    and it was shot in only 28 days.

25. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

" The Choppers ".....a really bad movie....but lots of great cars.......and I gotta say that " American Graffiti " really hit home for me....I WAS hangin' out at the burger joint....and cruizin' up and down the strip settin' up races for late at nite....there was a guy that was the coolest with the coolest car...( not me )...that movie nailed all those old feelings....

26. Da Injun

Da Injun

Yes, losing it with the 57 Chevy Convertible getting the tuck-n-roll in Tijuana, but little entrepreneur Wendell had to stay with the car so they did not put horse shit in for padding. It also had that bad ass Model A pick-up with the Lasalle tranny.

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

Question for the Oz/ NZ HAMBers...

Long time ago I saw a movie ( Australian or New Zealand...not sure...), where one of the characters in the movie is Hot Rodding a ( Holden? ) Coupe.
    It starts out in gray primer and later in the movie its painted yellow ( with a "L" learners plate on it...)

Any idea which movie this might have been?
    I'd like to see it again some time, if possible...

29. only the lonely
    1950 h bogart ...
    crashes into a custom hot rod and and beats up the owner and drives a merc ragtop
    need to see this again
    can you namethe 30-s 40s movie with mickey rooney racing cars?
    paperdog

30. guacamole

guacamole
    from New Mexico

Last year while watching an interview of George Lucas, he made it clear, American Grafitti was his best work. After all the films he has done, that should speak loudly to anyone who may not appreciate this great film.

Guacamole