Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oiling issues on Small Journal 327, no oil pressure at idle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am still on hold. I am building
    A run stand and I have had some family issues we are dealing with. I will get back on it soon. Thanks for checking on me.

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Tried something new today. working on an International tractor low oil pressure at idle warm. dropped the pan checked oil pump and mains ok. I rigged up a rubber tipped blow gun to a can of Ac leak detector and pressered the engine at the gauge fitting couldn't use the pump port. Found a crack in the block.

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Root, dont forget us. We are sitting on the edge of our seats waiting to hear the solution :)

Roothawg likes this.
  4. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I have a test stand ?

Roothawg likes this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, the test stand is finished and I am a little bummed. The 327 has oil pressure now, 30 psi, but after an hour of priming and rotating the engine I have very little oil to the rockers.

I am suspect of the hydraulic roller lifters. Intake back off.....

A crate motor may be in my future.

loudbang likes this.
  6. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

No oil when it's running or when you are priming?

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is your rocker ratio correct ? Meaning do you have correct length push rods. If push rods are either to long or to short that's not good to begin with. The least of it is the oiling hole will not line up. While you have intake off prime engine and watch the lifters with out anything on them to see if they oil freely that way.

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I bought Comp Cams adjustable pushrod to check the length. I ordered special length pushrods. I just checked the pattern on the valve tips and they are smack dab in the middle.

I have pulled the intake and the lifters all seem to have oil in the cups. I also went and bought a 2500 rpm drill hoping that maybe mine was too slow, but alas, the world has gone to keyless chucks and this one won't stay tight, so it goes back tomorrow.

I thought about running the plungers the full travel to see if maybe they were just sticky from sitting. I primed it collectively probably 30-45 min and a buddy was cranking it over with a ratchet.

Clay, no start yet. Just priming.

It's getting very frustrating to say the least.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You do realize the cam and oil pump turn 50% less rpm than the crank. A 2500 drill speed would be equal to 5000 rpm on the engine.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was thinking the opposite.......

11. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

What Dizzy are you Running, if the oil hole in the block does not line up in the center of dizzy grove ,Oil will blead off , most do not know to check this, they just dope in Dizzy ,
    ( & O -Ring are not going to take care of this if not )
    Some time's you have to add shim's or remove material from intake ,collar, then you have to check shaft to pump , gear to came location ,
    yr lifter's , if oil hole where drilled wrong location , top end will dribble oil .
    Have you checked all clearances your self , whith good know and correct mic & inside mic.
    I have seen very loose SBC with drill have over 45.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I may just have to drop it off somewhere and let someone else look at it. I am really tired of it at this point. I'll use it in another project, I am sure. It's got all new, good forged internals. It wasn't a cheapo build.

loudbang likes this.
  13. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Does not have to be a cheap build to go SOUTH!!!
    I had a $7,000 SHORT BLOCK go bad in 15 mints , $600 lifters was the cause !!

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

This may sound like a cop out, but I am done with this for a while. I ordered a crate motor last night. I need to get the Produce truck on the road and then I will revisit the 327. Maybe next winter. We are putting on 6 Hot Rod Hundreds this year and I need to be on the road before April. I'll keep this post informed on what I find.

15. Scott

Scott

Sometimes ya gotta take a step back

loudbang likes this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nothing wrong with doing what needs to be done for ones self. Looking forward to hearing more on this when your ready.

loudbang likes this.
  17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I'm a bit green on GM stuff but I seem to recall cam is different on rear lobe on early vs late 283 cams . Anyone remember this ? Something different , that's why I never use them , I don't want to be different !

18. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I belive oil grove , & different Dizzy for oiling all so ,
    ( oil groove on dizzy)

hotrodyankee and loudbang like this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, just for giggles and since it was already on the run stand, I busted it off. I poured some oil on the rockers just in case. It ran for 2.5 minutes and carried an oil pressure of 25 lbs at idle and 40 when you would run it up a bit. No bueno. Not a drop on the rockers. I am suspect of the roller lifters.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just to ease my mind, I pulled the rear plugs and used a grease pencil to mark the distributor to ensure the oil groove was lined up. It was. I also marked the first set of roller lifters through the same galley. It came out right in the middle of the notch in the lifter, so i guess thats right. Now, I have to try and find out where the oiling holes are supposed to be located. I called Howards and they seem to think it's not the lifters. I am still suspect.

rjones35 and loudbang like this.
  21. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Replace one of the roller lifters with a standard lifter and hand crank the oil pressure. If the one you replaced oils the rocker you found the problem.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's kinda where I am.....Howard's is pulling a couple of different lifters for reference to measure for me. Gonna call them back tomorrow and see what they found out.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. tomcat11

tomcat11

Thought I would check back in to see what happened to this deal or should I say ORDEAL. unbelievable. This goes back to June. I have to commend you for being relentless. Any new news? Lifters?

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I haven't sent them back to them yet, planning on trying one more thing, then they get boxed and shipped back.

25. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

I'll appologize in advance if this has been covered, 2 problems I've fixed in the past with separate engines, no oil gallery plugs in the front of the block ( behind the timing set ) and the rear cam bearing not installed far enough into the block

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, both are good. Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  27. models916

models916

I did not read all of this. Maybe a stuck oil pump bypass spring/valve. Rear cam bearing clocked wrong. Rear cam journal not grooved.

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

No, no and no.

loudbang, Johnny Gee and Dan Hay like this.
  29. NoSurf

NoSurf

Hey I didn't read all this thread but did you check and see if the blinker fluid was low? How about the muffler bearings? Within spec? I believe for 1965 327 .0000000000000000001 is in tolerance? Maybe you should have painted the motor/engine hugger orange?

30. rjones35

rjones35

Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you gotta walk away, revisit later. Like you said, you are gonna be THE goto guy for sbc oil stuff from now on!!

loudbang and Roothawg like this.