Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oil stained garage floor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sweet & Low, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

I have an old oil stain on my garage floor that doesn't want to go away. I have tried most of Simple Green type cleaners and even tried lacquer to no avail.
    Should I be looking at a sandblaster instead of a cleaner?

2. jaracer

jaracer

Have you tried brake clean?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you tried Oil Eater? I use it a lot to clean parts but feedback online says that it works good on concrete.

4. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

You could try some all dry and get a small block of wood and use it to scrub the floor in the stained area. It has worked for me.

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I use Dawn first and then pour some Coka Cola over the area and then take some Comet Cleaner and shake over the whole area and let it sit for a few day's and then use a hard brush on it and again let it sit.
    I have removed oil stains driveways after it was there for 5 years without a problem.

Each time I use the Coka Cola on the stains I keep wondering what happens when you drink this stuff.
    Jimbo

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Have you tried sand? Not to absorb but to scratch it around the stain. It won't scuff the concrete. I do it all of the time on old dried stains.

7. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

White mortar mix.

lostmind and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. if you have an old ford, your going to always have an oil stain in the garage.

9. phosphoric acid does the work
    BAB80476-BC1F-48F8-82EE-C8D6CCEB7396.jpeg BAB80476-BC1F-48F8-82EE-C8D6CCEB7396.jpeg

10. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

try a bottle of dawn and a gallon of muriatic acid then rinse with water re seal floor if necessary.

11. Given a choice I would prefer the stain over the rough surface that would be left after sandblasting.

Charlie Stephens

12. v8flat44

v8flat44

I've had luck with Goop hand cleaner, but was a light stain. leave it set for a while, then scrub brush.
    RINCE RINCE....or it will be slick.

13. Why not a power washer with one of those circular cleaner attachments?

Tri-power37 likes this.
  14. Slopok

Slopok

Unless it has a Chevy engine in it!o_O:eek:;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Nothing leaks like my old Cummins powered Power Wagon it has a slobber tube and a turbo that builds pressure in the case . Of coarse it never sees inside the garage but my concrete driveway has a Stain to say the least . I have tried many , many products most will not touch it . Best I have found is pour a bit of gas on , wait a day pour another SMALL amount of gas on it and it’s gone . I’m by no way suggesting you do this , it’s unsafe x 10 , but it works . Do it at your own risk .

Okatoma cruiser likes this.
  16. patterg2003

patterg2003

I had a big oil patch on a unistone driveway courtesy of my old truck. I bought a 2 litre jug of Oil Lift Oil Remover for driveways and followed the instructions. The oil lift is allowed to soak in and is hosed away. The pavers had a heavy coat of oil and there was still some oil after the first application. I let the stone dry for a few days and applied the Oil Lift a second time and it took the last of the oil out. I was skeptical but was pleased with the outcome. I worth a try on a concrete floor. Maybe look for a well reviewed driveway degreasing product as the Oil Lift may be only available in Canada. Have a mop and pail handy to clean up the water in the garage.

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Tide (powdered) and a stuff bristle brush or one of those floor buffers. I do it once a year and my floor looks nearly new.

All kinds of contaminants end up on the floor over the year.

It is simple to do, works very well, and your shop will be smelling fresh for a week or so.

Wet down the floor, spread out the Tide. Let it sit on oily areas. Scrub the floor. The buffer works so dang well. I rent it from Home Depot. Just be careful, there's a bit of a learning curve.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    mcsfabrication likes this.

18. Don't try this at home.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yep... Gasoline, sweep it on with a stiff bristle broom. THEN: Sprinkle a generous amount of Tide soap on it. Some water, broom again. Now rinse with water, and broom it off the stain.
    Never had to repeat the process, always worked for me.
    Just the water heater: Turn it OFF, and extinguish the pilot light FIRST, before any gasoline is brought in.

20. Bugguts

Bugguts

I don’t have the answer to the stain, but I do have stains from the many things I use the garage for. Just pulled a motor yesterday and spilled all the fluids that it could on floor. Other stains are from removing trannies, leaky rear ends, etc.
    I look at the stains and remember I don’t pay someone else to do all the fun stuff!
    A badge of honor if you will.

21. Propane torch on minor drips.

22. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Coke

Poor it on it - let sit for 20 minutes - then use a scrub brush and rinse. Wallaaa

BTW - Drinking Coke is not very good for you.
    Besides the sugar ( high fructose corn syrup ) or artificial sugar ( Splenda ) in the diet Coke, it's rock gut on your stomach and the carbonation makes your bones brittle as you get older.

rod1 likes this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

After the first few spills on my brand new concrete I stopped fretting so much..The last spill I had contained, about four gallons of water of degreased skid steer innards until I knocked the plastic pan off the blocks. Bunch of newspaper worked well..

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I thought oil stains were traditional? Gives the floors character.....

redoxide, Bugguts and guthriesmith like this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or a Harley

26. That wAs hard to wAtch.
    I thought for sure it was gonna BBQ his dumb ass

The 39 guy, Gasser 57 and mgtstumpy like this.
  27. In the garage, where I can't rinse, I have scraped off the sludge, then sprayed with engine cleaner(Gunk, etc), then spread light layer of floor dry on that. Rub it in after sitting for a bit, then sweep up. Repeat as necessary. Sometimes, a quick application of Brake Clean after that.

28. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

There is a shop floor cleaner that sprays on then activates with a steam cleaner. Don't know it's name but got a small jar from a mechanic friend once. Took an old oil stain off concrete pavers.

29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Each time I use the Coka Cola on the stains I keep wondering what happens when you drink this stuff.
    Jimbo"

Jeez, you shouldn't be drinking it after.

guthriesmith likes this.
  30. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have been happy with the results using cat litter for the last 50 years

Tri-power37 likes this.