Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil Spraying out of my dip stick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29Jay, Dec 26, 2010.

1. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

1<SUP>st</SUP> off, let’s assume that Captain Obvious does not live here.
    I had my transmission rebuilt… Today I got everything connected back up and fired the engine. Oil was spraying out of the dip stick. I still have the 5 quarts of break-in oil in. The only thing “new” I did to the engine was change the intake manifold gasket.
    So here is the background story: A Mopar Guru and I re-built a 1964 318 Poly motor 18 ago. We started it 12 months ago and all was good. I continued building on my ’29 Sedan. I never drove this car more than around the block and had terminal transmission problems. (727 Torque flight) I had it completely rebuilt this fall.
    Where do I need to look for causes? Is there something I could have messed up installing the new gasket? I am not over-full. I even drained a little oil out just to be sure.

2. Gator

Gator

Are you talking about the tranny or engine dipstick?

3. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Engine... Sorry I wasn't clear. The engine ran fine, cept a leak on the back side of the intake...

4. Gator

Gator

Checked for a clogged pcv valve draft tube or breather, the crankcase ends up getting pressurised and blowing oil out 'the path of least resistance'.

5. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

If you have one, check your pcv valve. If there is too much pressure in the crankcase, it could be forcing the oil out.
    And is the gasket around the dip stick present?

6. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Ive seen both bad rings or head gasket also cause the crank case to pessurize.
    Hopefully its just the pcv.

7. I don't know poly motors, but is it possible to accidentally flip the intake gasket or switch them side to side and block off the normal PCV flow?

8. you need to vent the engine. the gasket leak was probably the "vent" before you fixed it.

9. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I only have valve cover breather. What would have caused the change?

Do you mean the rubber on the dipstick itself? it is there, but it looks cracked...

10. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Where would I add a vent? here are a couple of pictures... there are plugged holes on both sides of the intake?

Attached Files:

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

just take that breather off completely and run the engine. see how it goes.

12. Agree with Bob. If there is no problem after you run the engine minus the breather cap, there is your problem. You'd be surprised how clogged with nastiness they get, especially on a non-PCV engine.

You can clean the breather by soaking it in kerosene or Diesel fuel, or simply replace it with another cap, if original appearance is not an issue.

13. Sounds like you need a little penicillin. Stay out of those Tijuana bars.

Seriously though, Check the PCV valve. You should have a PCV on one valve cover and a vent on the other.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  14. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Thanks guys! I can hit this tomorrow... An anyone tell me which plugged hole on the intake is for cool vs. PCV? or is there an easy way to check with out making a mess?

15. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

OK, Problem solved! THANK You HAMBer's!!!
    I took off the breather caps as suggested... listening to the advise, I started looking at the breathers. Turns out they both have plug ends, not grommet/ holes... I drilled some small holes in the bottom of the rubber and Vawalla! no more spray!

16. Good hear that it was the 'easy' fix.

Nice looking engine by the way!

17. 29Jay,

Great to hear it was an easy fix,,,,also,,Cool rod,,,really looks good and using that Poly was a good idea!
    Really sharp ride!

Tommy

18. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The two breathers will work but you can expect to get some oil on the tops of the valve covers as both are letting pressure out rather than one letting air in while the pcv valve and system draws the fumes out and into the intake.

See how it does and go from there.

20. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

I bought a really nice truck with a brand spankin new engine for a song one time. The guy was so pissed that the new motor was "bad" he said the next M____ F_____ that walks up and offers me $500 for this pos I'm gonna take it! $500, a new pcv and an hour later I was grinnin ear to ear with wind in my hair. Man.... wish I still had that truck.... and the hair.

21. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I forgot to mention that I went on line and ordered the PCV parts... Well, most of them, I'm sure there is something new for me to learn as I put this in...

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you can buy cotton "sleeves" that go on the breather before you insert it into the valve cover. I just cut the tops of my worn out athletic socks, roll them and use that instead. They absorb the mist of oil spray that emits from the breathers.

23. missysdad1

missysdad1

Much better to introduce a PCV system to the engine as you intend, rather than just letting it vent the pressure out the breathers.

A proper PCV system will help keep the engine and oil cleaner by sucking out the vapor and combustion byproducts which will, over time, contaminate the oil and cause sludge to form.

PCV system = good move!

24. no55mad

no55mad

Got a 71 Charger for free years ago because of this. The crank case breather inlet filter was plugged up causing pressure in the crank case.

25. Exactly! It's one of the few emission control systems that is really, really good for engine health.