Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil pressure sending unit question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RW, Jun 2, 2008.

1. RW

RW
    from Milwaukee

I am going to throw this question to all you HAMBERS. I have a 1949 ford dash all gauges are working but I am tring to get the oil pressue gauge to work off the small bock chevy i have installed.. Does anyone know what sending unit i can run?

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I think the 49 is mechanical isnt it? Just connect it up

3. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If its electric why not try to adapt it to the sbc sender location. If converted to 12 volt a voltage reducer should be used.

4. `49 ford is electric.

5. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

You will need to use the Ford sender 1/4" NPT threads. May have to adapt to the Chevy hole I don't know what size it is.

6. 36tbird

36tbird

Plug the flathead sending unit in the Chevy, may need an adapter, and put a voltage reducer going from the instrument power wire to the gauge then to the sending unit. I have had this set up for years on my '36 Ford running a SBC and stock instrument. Works great! I do not know if it is calibrated or not, but don't really care. It shows a lot of pressure when cold and comes down to mid-range when hot. You can run a ceramic volt-a- drop or the ones I like are those from mid-60's Ford instrument panels, little pods with spades. Apparently Ford kept all of their gauges at 6 volt long after converting to 12 volt so they needed reducers.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

36tbird has it right - these gauges are still the king-sealy type of deal & modern sending units usually won't work with them at all. Use the original sending units everywhere (oil, temp, fuel) and run a 6V CVR (check with HAMBer Mart - he sells a nice one) to power them.

8. RW

RW
    from Milwaukee

Right on.......... thanks guys

9. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

This helped a lot, thanks. Thought it was worth bumping back up. May help some of you out too.