Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical oil pressure gauges

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by old skool, Jan 7, 2014.

1. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Hello,

Can you rebuild an old oil gauge from the 20s or 30s? Never tried it. I Know you can build a speedometer.

Marty

2. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Due to the overwhelming response, I guess the answer is no.

3. jimbousman

jimbousman

4. Never tried, but there are shops that do, so I have to say yes.

5. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Anything can be fixed its just whether ya wanna pay for it. Vintage gauge repair is not a cheap thing. What kind of gauge is it? Unless it's exceedingly rare you'll probably find a working example on eBay if you're patient. Unlike temp gauges oil pressure gauges were easily unbolted and thrown in a bucket so there's working examples still out there. JohnnyA

6. Do you have a gauge cal shop in town, I would start there.

7. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Thanks for answering my post.

I have a four banger engine in my hot rod (hopped up a little). Most oil pressure gauges can't read my engine because the oil pressure is so low. I have two Chevy oil pressure gauges from the 1920s (goes up to 10psi). I liked how they looked and wanted to use them.
    I know you can find them on ebay, but you never really know what you are getting. Anyone can say "it's working" or "it came off a running car".
    I always try to do things myself. You never learn anything unless you do. Plus, I am on a fixed budget. I don't like buying everything from a catalog.

Just wanted some feedback.

Marty

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

of course you can but you have to be prepared to pay for an expert to do the job,there you go

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I don't know you, your skills, or the tools you have available. But I'm going to say no, you can't rebuild gauge. It takes more than a crescent wrench and some carb cleaner. Besides getting them apart and back together with out screwing them up, you have to have a way to test and adjust them.

Since it doesn't sound like you have the $250+ it's gonna take to have a pro do it, I suggest you buy some of the gauges you like off e-bay for $10-$20 each and give them a shot.

10. Why not give it a try - most of the old gauges are just a bourdan tube hooked to the indicator with some (small) gearing. What's the worst that can happen? It just won't work anymore. In the meantime, you probably learned something of value. And come on... it was humans that put it together in the first place.

11. I like your attitude.

If it went together, it comes apart. If you have enough desire you can get it to work.

In the end, you may find that your desire is to throw money at it and have someone else fix it, but I'd give it a shot.

Maybe try using a cheap fuel gauge for parts?

12. squirrel

squirrel

Old mechanical pressure gauges usually don't break, so they don't need to be repaired. The paint on the face may deteriorate, but the mechanism is pretty robust.

I would risk buying a few, if they look nice. I have a bunch out of 50s chevy trucks, they always work fine.

13. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a go. I bought one on ebay for $10.00 (in great shape). Let's give it a try.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014