Register now to get rid of these ads!

oil pressure/electric fuel pump cut off switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rebelrat, Jan 10, 2011.

1. rebelrat

rebelrat

I want to put a safety cut out switch for the electric fuel pump on my race only car in case I get upside down (god forbid) and have read somewhere that you can put a oil pressure switch in the circuit.Anyone have a wiring diagram for this ? Thanks in advance
    PS Solving this will get me one step closer to running the Thames at the THAW lol ! :eek::eek::eek:

2. rebelrat

rebelrat

3. rebelrat

rebelrat

wow no love for me tonight lol

4. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

The switch I used is Carquest #ECC53-33829. This is a 3 wire switch, with a NC, normally closed side & a NO, normally open side. The NC side has a wire from the starter solenoid " start " terminal, The NO side wire is + 12volts when the key is on. The 3rd wire goes to the electric pump. The NC circuit supplies 12 volts to the pump when starting, the NO circuit supplies 12 volts to the pump when the ignition is on and there is oil pressure, I believe 12-15 # or more. Hope this helps. Bob

5. Here is a wiring diagram.

[​IMG]

6. rebelrat

rebelrat

Gentlemen I thank you,Got to love this site lol

7. rebelrat

rebelrat

The switch I used is Carquest #ECC53-33829. This is a 3 wire switch, with a NC, normally closed side & a NO, normally open side. The NC side has a wire from the starter solenoid " start " terminal, The NO side wire is + 12volts when the key is on. The 3rd wire goes to the electric pump. The NC circuit supplies 12 volts to the pump when starting, the NO circuit supplies 12 volts to the pump when the ignition is on and there is oil pressure, I believe 12-15 # or more. Hope this helps. Bob

Hey Bob
    Are you sure of that # I'm not finding it on the carquest site,do you know what it is off ?

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Vega's used them.

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You want a Hobb's pressure switch...available in various "switching" pressures. Some even have a rubber plug on top that has an adjustment underneath.
    Can be found at many autoparts stores....provided the guy behind the counter has a clue....

http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/hss/hobbscorp/P3_6.pdf

If ya can't find one for some reason, PM me.....I've got a few layin' around....

10. RebelRat; Upside, down? You? The Thames? I understand your concern. ASk yourself, can you crawl out of the window upside down on fire with your helmet on? THis is a question many should ask themselves when chopping the top on their ride.
    I asked myself that question after the fact and didn't like my answer after the chop factor.
    Most inboard boats use the pressure switch configuration to kill the fuel pump. Excellent idea. If you don't locate one let me know, I have some. H Rat

11. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

This will work just fine,dont forget to put a fuse on the starter to oil sw wire.

12. Retribution

Retribution
    from Western PA

13. As stated Vega used them, the part number you need is:

NAPA Echlin #OP6610
    Standard #PS133
    Delco #PS9