Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oil Pan PCV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RodNoc, Dec 13, 2015.

1. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

Im looking for any opinions or experience with a non typical pcv setup. I came across a few pictures of breathers placed on oil pans.

I was wondering if that location could be used as the air intake and a valve cover pcv could be used. Or possibly the pcv near the oil pan and a breather up high on the cover.

Also would the crankcase produce to much pressure and blow oil/mist out the breather? It would be under vacuum though.

Do you think the custom breather with pcv and a line running up to intake would be satisfactory?

If it matters I'm designing this system for a straight six chevy. Thanks again.
    Screenshot_2015-12-13-07-57-58-1.png PanGraft-445x273.jpeg 8605769335_986a500d1e_k.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

what kind of straight six Chevy? The older ones (235 etc) have a baffle on the side of the block for the vent. The later ones (250 etc) do it all in the valve cover. Keeping oil where it belongs is usually the issue...

3. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

It is a '66 250ci. My goal is to not mutilate a tom lowe valve cover with a bunch of holes.

4. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

Any opinions on this working?

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as you have a good baffle, and the inlet is a good ways above the oil level, so it does not get in when you are cornering, it will work just fine.

Numerous engines have road draft or PCV passages that go to the oil pan/crank galley.

6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I've seen them run the PCV out of the side cover on a 250 before. I didn't chose this route due to finned side covers.

7. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

I will also be going with tom's finned side covers. I definitely understand you not wanting to cut up quality parts.

8. I have seen the breathers on the pan on flatheads and the Gimp is correct here you want to make sure that you are not flooding your be breather or PCV with oil that could be a very bad thing. But the upside is your top end will be well oiled. :D

9. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

So would you think the air intake should be placed down on the pan and gases pulled up to the valve cover to exit through the pcv? My gut says up and out

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The basic idea of air entering the pan and being drawn up to a pcv should work OK, but it's not a good idea to have the actual air intake that low on a street engine. You want cleaner dryer air to enter the engine, and extending the intake higher up the engine through a tube or pipe, and topped with a filter, would be much better, imo. This would also help act as an oil baffle.

11. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

Ok thanks. Ill have to research any clean ways of accomplishing that. I will say this would be on a mostly fair weather vehicle with open hood sides.

12. I've seen them mounted where a mechanical fuel pump would mount on a V-8. That being said not sure if it would work on a 6.

13. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

Was it the breather or pcv that was in the fuel pump location?

14. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

I thought it was funny that this image recently came up on a featured article.

Attached Files: