Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oil gauge sending unit

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 49StreetRod, Jan 4, 2020.

1. 49StreetRod

49StreetRod
    from Irwin, PA

Figured I would try here first since everyone always has some tips and tricks...so I was removing my oil gauge sending unit and about 1/4" or so of the stem broke off. Pretty much flush with the hole. Before trying to remove and possible do more damage figured someone might have some ideas on possible ways to remove it without taking off the dizzy and intake manifold. But may be my only option. What do you guys think?

Also, 2 of my rockers have a bit of play...not much at all but is this normal and should there be any at all? Engine is sbc 355.

Attached Files:

2. flatford39

flatford39

It's brass. I would just try picking at it with a small chisel and see if you can get it to turn.

RMONTY and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  3. They make a tool like a pipe wrench,,,but it is an inside pipe wrench.
    It is specifically for removing broken pipe threads from fittings.
    Plumbers and maintenance men usually have them.
    I’m not sure where to get one though.

Myself,,,I would probably just insert a small blade screwdriver into the opening and twist it loose,,,,it will probably take some trying to do it though,,,but it will work.
    Then I would insert a fitting and a tube to use to flush out any trash that might have fallen in there. Insert the tube and start the engine for a few seconds to flush out the oil and debris.
    Good luck,,,hope it works out.

Tommy

4. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Looks like a job for a tool called an Easy Out, bring the broken off stem to a hardware store to have them help you select the right size.

33Doll likes this.

5. Oh sorry,,,didn’t realize it’s brass,,,,no problem.
    Easy out is probably fastest way.
    Sorry,,I was overthinking it.

Tommy

6. They dont call them easy outs for nothing...
    Chappy
    59900.jpeg 60066.jpeg

7. 49StreetRod

49StreetRod
    from Irwin, PA

This is why I come to this site you guys never fail! Thanks for the input...I'll let you know how it works out.

8. The tool talked about near the top is a good option. You can drive/ tap the tool in place. Then use a crescent wrenchto turn it. Only used the tool once and it worked great. The come in several sizes.

9. The hardest part of using an easy out is getting a hole in the center of the broken piece. Yours is already there, it should be a breeze. :)

10. 49StreetRod

49StreetRod
    from Irwin, PA

Thanks guys...literally took 5 minutes with the stripped screw bits I already had.

Oh and any word on the roller rockers having alittle play?

Attached Files: