Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical oil dipstick question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al Baker, Apr 13, 2014.

1. I re-used the dipstick and tube from my 235 ci '54 chevy inline 6, on my 'new' 261 ci, '61 gm/Langdon, truck, inline 6, [which is now a 292 ci.]

Now,the 235 dipstick does not read the oil level accurately and my question is whether the stock 261 tube and stick might be different. No big deal 'cause I can mark the old 235 stick appropriately - but if the 261 is a correct setup I would consider trying to score a donor tube/stick. Or at the least, knowing the exact height of a stock 261 tube could help. Then I could measure and compare my 235 tube.

Advice is always welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,
    Al

2. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

found this it may help:

[​IMG]

Dave L

Attached Files:

3. budd

budd

i have asked a question about how to mark a new dipstick in the past, if you could see inside an oil pan how far below the crank should the oil level be, should the crank be in oil on some engines?

4. Thanks Dave - good reference 411 :)

Thanks Budd - I could simply mark the 235 dipstick at the top of the oil full line after a new oil change - the pan and engine specs are all stock 261 and I'm using a 235 tube and stick - so I'm just thinking the original 261 tube and stick - which I never had - might be different??

Thanks guys - appreciate!!