Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil cooler on an SBC question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brian26, May 13, 2009.

1. I'm a poor boy these days, but I have a running car anyway.

Question- I have a small block chevy that runs with a small radiator. I bought an oil cooler to help. I'm close but this could get me to the 220 degree level and holding.

Can I plumb the lines into the NPT plugs on each side of the block, the ones JUST above the oilpan rails?

2. Fogger

Fogger

Those are water jacket drain plugs.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The late 80's and early 90's Corvettes had a factory oil cooler similar to the one shown. It goes in between the oil filter and the block. GM discontined them after that went to using Mobile One oil ... I have found the the Mobile One oil can drop water temps by 15 to 20 degrees here in the Hot, Humid South :D

kmn5 likes this.

4. And I'm a dumbass! Okay, whurrs mah sign? Dammit, I've done something stupid like that before!

Thank you

5. One guy told me those adaptors also came on 3/4t and up trucks from those same years.

6. pecker head

pecker head

Are you serious about the oil ? I would be happy with a 10 degree drop in the temp on my coop ! I live in hot assed TEXAS !

later Peck :cool:

7. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

factory gm oil to cooler water to oil adaptor corvette camaro firebird 350 engines...

the trucks have oil to air coolers

oil gets above 220 ... it helps keep it clean

8. Duntov

Duntov

Many 1988-1996 (?) Chevrolet K1500 full size trucks, suburbans, S15 light trucks and S10 Utility vehicles with 4x4 have radiators with a engine oil cooler feature and are equipped with a remote oil filter. My 1991 Chevrolet S10 Blazer SUV 4x4 has a factory oil cooler and remote filter. My 4.3L V6 engine coolant temperture runs 190 degrees w/o A.C. and 200 degrees w/A.C. running on a 90-100 degree day, if my digital instrument cluster temperature guage is correct.

I see no evidence that a oil cooler will reduce engine coolant temperature after the engine reaches ambient operating temperature. Besides, you do not want motor oil that is too cool. Without an oil cooler, the oil temperature should be about the same as the water temperature when cruising below 3500 RPM , but the oil temperature will rise to about 250 -275 degrees beginning about 3500 RPM while the water temperature remains at 190-200 degrees. The Chevy oil cooler will reduce the oil temperature by 20% throughout the RPM range if the engine is clearanced properly with no bearing clearance issues. A high pressure oil pump tends to raise oil temperature by about 5%.

If your motor oil temperature suddenly rises above 275 degrees at any engine speed, your engine is wiping bearings and you should shut it off immediately and be prepared for a complete engine rebuild. The ignition point of motor oil is 350 degrees. The oil cooler adapters on the GM vehicles equipped with oil coolers have a 30 lb. by-pass valve in the engine oil line adapter and a 11 lb. by-pass valve in the remote oil filter adapter. Sometimes the OEM AC Delco Duraguard filter has too much restriction at high RPM and cold starts so the by-pass is there to by-pass the filter restriction for full unfiltered oil flow to the engine. Some people block the by-pass to guarantee filtered oil flow but that is a very risky practice! The Mobil 1 filters are the best low restriction filters with a high filtration synthetic/paper filter media. WIX and NAPA Gold filters have a high filtration paper media. The by-pass valves are there to prevent a delay in filling the filter and lines at start up and high RPM. Faster oil flow is especially critical since the factory roller tappet cams were introduced. The automobile manufacturers have a reason why they call the having spin-on oil filters "full-flow" sustem. The old '55 Chevy had a "by-pass" filter system with the oil filter sitting on top of the engine in a cannister.

Last edited: May 13, 2009