Register now to get rid of these ads!

oil consumption question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57ford/60thunderbird, Feb 27, 2013.

1. ok my daily driver has a 360 f/e with 125 thousand miles and it consumes oil it does not leak and it does not burn it so my question is where is the oil going? any ideas

2. Valve guides and/or seals.

Pull a plug and see what color it is.

3. If it doesn't leak, it HAS to be burning it. Just because you don't see it smoking doesn't mean it isn't burning some.

("Burning" in this case being a generic term for it going out the tailpipes, not on the ground:

Either that or your neighbors are stealing you oil at night

4. 73RR

73RR

You don't say how much you are losing... Even 1qt/1500miles might sound like a lot but won't foul a plug.

5. Hmmmm.....

I never thought of that Don. Hell with the cost of a quart of oil these days this is plausible! :D

6. i changed my plugs about a month ago all of them where evenly tanish white

in that month ive went through over 2 quarts

i park it in the same spot at home and work no oil spots on the ground at either place

7. Tannish white sounds like valve seals.

What grade oil are you using?

8. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

Valve guides .....

9. In my flat tappet motors, I use Rotella or DELO diesel oil.

Not for consumption so much but for the zinc.

The weight helps with consumption, and I was taught very long ago to use 20/50 in my motors as they age.

It has never served me wrong, but could be snake oil as well...?

Your mileage may vary

10. 73RR

73RR

11. i heard rotella has removed the zink also now

12. That is very possible, but the auto parts store in my little town stopped selling it altogether, so I have switched to the DELO.

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

in that month ive went through over 2 quarts

Was it a 2000 mile month or a 100 mile month?

14. And was it highway/high speed driving?

15. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

I believe the only oil with adequate zinc and phosphorous anymore are the racing oils.
    I just use conventional oil with a bottle of comp cams break in lube at every oil change.

16. ninosdad

ninosdad

Valve guides and or rings @ 125K miles on an FE no big surprise add a quart of Lucas or HyPerLube and the burning will slow and it is great for the engine.

17. CYCO_FISH

CYCO_FISH

Brad Penn makes an oil just for older flat tappet engines. it has all the good stuff in it so it lacks the gov approved sticker

18. lht

lht

white plugs your runnin lean

19. it was closer to 2000 miles and at around town speeds

20. garcoal

garcoal

are you willing to spend many thousands of dollasrs on the old fe to avoid 8-10 dollars extra per 2 thousand miles. do the math.

21. actually NO i was hoping looking for something i knew wouldnt be

cheap easy quick fix the thing runs great just a little hard on fuel and oil

22. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

A quart in a thousand with over 100,000 on the clock is nothing to worrry about. Some engines (even rebuilt/ new) aren't that good. Ideally you would want no oil consumption, but as long as it runs good, and isn't leaving big clouds of smoke, no sweat.Usually when they start getting bad they will ping easily because of the oil in the combustion chamber. If you want to try something cheap, do valve seals. You can change them in an afternoon, without pulling the heads.

23. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Hows the PCV system?

24. how do you mean?

i have a pcv valve in the valve cover plumbed with a 3/8 or maybe its 5/16 metal hardline (dont like running long hoses) into the front of the edelbrock carb