Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil Change reminder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OshkoshRob, Sep 10, 2012.

1. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

Found this in a box of junk. Any idea how old it is. It's all metal and the numbers look like brass possibly?

[​IMG]

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Well, according to what I found on line, Gillette tire changed to become Uniroyal in 1931, so since it has Gillette on it the thing must be older than that.

Don

The turn of the century brought the collapse of the lumber industry and for most of the 20th century, education and tires fueled the local economy. In 1916, the predecessor of today's University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire was founded, and in 1917 Raymond Gillette started a rubber company to produce automobile tires. Between 1917 and 1992 the rubber plant, which was bought in 1931 by U.S. Rubber and became known as Uniroyal, was the city's largest employer and one of world's leading producers of automobile tires.

3. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

Older than I thought...thanks Don's Hot Rods!

4. my grandfather worked at the Gillette plant in Eau Claire for many years

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Style of lettering and overall design looks like early twenties. Neat accessory. Does it go in the car or on the garage wall?

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think the idea was you put it in the car somewhere. Those little holes in each numbered wheel let you insert a pen or something pointed so you could turn the numbers to when you were supposed to have your oil changed the next time. Kinda like the sticker Jiffy Lube puts on the inside of your windshield these days, telling you when to come back again.

Looks like Gillette Tire was giving them out as promotional/ advertising items. Cool looking little piece you found there.

Don

7. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Just wondering being that it's from a tire company, coud it be a reminder to rotate your tires?

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Could be, but it looks like someone wrote "grease" on it, and there is something I can't make out written above the numbers. I guess it could be used to remind you of all of those things, depending on what you wanted reminded about.

Don

9. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

There were two of these in the box I found. One said Grease and one said Oil in pencil. They have stick pins on the back so they could be attached to a sunvisor.