Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Ohio HAMB Meet and Eat coverage plus other fun stuff from last weekend!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Based on the popularity of Hamb & Egg type events all across the US I thought it was time we had one here in Ohio. But rather than do a breakfast every week type thing I thought it would be more fun to do a dinner with family and friends at a new hot rod restaurant. After some planning in the Ohio social group (found here on the HAMB: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=35 ) a few calls were made and we had a date set, January 31st.

Not long after posting the info, people began responding on the thread and thru PMs that they were coming. I was really shocked to see how many HAMBers were relatively local to me yet I had no idea who they were or what they drove. How could I miss a HAMB guy with a traditional car in an area this small?

It was decided we would meet at Hot Rod City in New Philadelphia, OH. It is easily accessible off 77, the freeway that runs north to south thru the east side of Ohio. Plus it is a really cool car restaurant with LOADS of hot rod memorabilia! To find out more, visit their website: http://www.hotrodcityusainc.com/index.htm

Saturday the 31st finally arrived. It was COLD but luckily we had a break in the snow making the highways and byways a lot more traversable than we’ve seen in recent weeks. The snow, ice and cold we’ve experienced (at least in my part of Ohio) has been monumental this year, breaking all kinds of records. I was glad to see we would have somewhat decent weather.

Hotrodladycrusr decided to come down to Ohio for the weekend as well, making it all the more fun! We had some cars for sale to go look at and she helped me with a huge project in the bathroom of my new house (more on both those events later).

When I walked into the restaurant I was shocked to see the largest section of the restaurant full of HAMBers! Once everyone arrived with family and friends the headcount was over 60! We barely had enough seats for everyone, what a great turnout!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus there were lots of others milling around checking out the cool displays and diecast store.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have a DJ sometimes, check out his cool booth…
    [​IMG]

My favorite display, the mechanics cabinet. I want one SOOOO BAD!
    [​IMG]

2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

After dinner (in typical hotrodladycrusr fashion :D) we gathered everyone for a group photo near one of the street scenes.

[​IMG]

HAMBers in attendance included (according to the sign in sheet passed around):

Hotrodladycrusr
    Silhouettes57
    Advance1
    Rick ‘Rags’ Clyne
    Algon
    Nsh57
    Mercury Kid
    Tin Indian
    Gassman57
    Deadendcruiser
    John356
    Chromdaddyo
    Sniffinpaint
    JustBryan
    Swiftly
    CareyOhio
    Gearhd69
    Speed-Kings
    GearStrippers3
    RodBender
    WhiskyRunner
    ConcreteB
    Dragframe
    And me, ChevyGirlRox :D

The rock stars of the evening were nsh57 and MercuryKid for driving their hot rods in the cold, ice and snow! MercuryKid drove his Comet the 2+ hours from Columbus w/no heat and nsh57 drove his ’32 roadster about an hour with Algon and his son! Unfortunately Mercury Kid left before I was able to get any photos but I did get some of nsh57’s roadster.

[​IMG]

Dressing for the weather
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All bundled up, ready to go!
    [​IMG]

And the video to prove it! (Sorry the video is kind of dark but it was night time afterall :D)
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i2.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/MotorCityHotRodder/2009%20Events/Jan%20Weekend%20at%20Megans/HAMB%20Meet%20and%20Eat/243.flv">

I&#8217;d like to thank everyone for coming out to the first (but definitely not the last!) HAMB Meet and Eat at Hot Rod City in New Philadelphia, OH.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

You may have noticed, I was running later than planned that evening to the meet and eat (well, I&#8217;m usually fashionably late so maybe you didn&#8217;t notice :D). As Denise and I told a few of you there, we had spent the majority of the day looking at and photographing a collection of cars for sale. The collection belonged to a friend that recently passed away. The guy was a true dyed in the wool customs guy through and through. He left some great cars behind, mostly Mercs. I&#8217;ve posted the cars for sale in the classifieds but here is a picture of each to go with the story&#8230;

1946 Mercury convertible--stock w/a Flattie, new paint, nice!
    [​IMG]
    In the classifieds: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332167

1940 Mercury coupe--on it&#8217;s way to being a Matranga clone (http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_car_photos/beautiful_custom_cars/bill_hines/40_mercury_matranga/) Equipped with small block and Mustang II suspension. Comes with tons of special stuff to finish the restoration to a Matranga clone or drive as is (looks rad w/the hood off!)
    [​IMG]
    In the classifieds: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3577314#post3577314

1940 Mercury convertible&#8212;full custom, award winning
    [​IMG]
    In the classifieds: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3577320#post3577320

1953 Mercury 2dr hdtp&#8212;stock, great driver!
    [​IMG]
    In the classifieds: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3577353#post3577353

1964 Pontiac Catalina&#8212;stock, super clean, great driver!
    [​IMG]
    In the classifieds: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3577360#post3577360

1973 Chevy Impala 2dr hdtp&#8212;low original mileage, nice original car
    [​IMG]

1949 Mercury 2dr- unchopped leadsled, custom touches, built Flattie with Offy heads
    [​IMG]
    In the classifieds: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332170

Looking over his cars, parts and memorabilia was a grave reminder that we&#8217;re not here forever and to enjoy the time that we do have. It also made be never wanna buy another project until ALL of mine are finished!

4. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Sunday after a great lunch with my mom and nephew (that a lot of you met Saturday night) we got to work on my hot rod bathroom project. As many of you may or may not know I recently acquired my grandparents house (read: more car storage! :) ). I&#8217;ve spent most of the winter sorting thru things and redecorating the place to my taste. The house, although recently built, is built in a 60s style and for the most part I really like it. But there is one thing it has been lacking for sure&#8212;car pictures! So room by room I&#8217;ve been tackling that problem.

Here is what the bathroom started out looking like&#8212;pretty normal&#8230;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I&#8217;ve been collecting old car ads from the late 40s thru the 60s from the internet and printing them on normal white paper. A lot of them came from www.plan59.com .

Lots and lots of trimming to do&#8230;
    [​IMG]

Trimmed and sorted by size and favorites&#8230;
    [​IMG]

The next step was to apply &#8216;Modge Podge&#8217; (endorsed by hotrodladycrusr-see her HAMB calendar wall!) to the back of all of the pictures one at a time and apply to wall. Once we had a system figured out and the picture locations somewhat planned it went fast. Here is the end result (well, almost the end, I have a little more to do):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all of the photos were up I put polyurethane over them to keep them from peeling from the moisture of the shower. I&#8217;m absolutely thrilled with how it turned out! And the best part is, aside of the cost of the modge podge (like 6 bucks) it was free! :D

So in the future when hotrodladycrusr asks me why I don&#8217;t have more done on my house I&#8217;m going to show her this post-- remind her how long it takes to look at cars and parts, how an evening with HAMBers can take the chill out of a cold winter&#8217;s day, and how a Sunday of decoupaging with your best friend really makes time fly! Thanks for coming to help Denise and also for your photography assistance on the cars!

Thanks guys for coming to the Meet & Eat. I&#8217;m thinking another one in April would be good, thoughts?

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think your going to inspire a bunch of areas to start meeting up and hanging out. Not everybody can make trips across the country to go see shows and meet fellow HAMB'ers so I think that these type of get togethers are really cool and obtainable for average Joes. Looks like everyone had an awesome time.

As far as you getting your grandparents house, congrats!!!! I am liking the mix of Seashell shower curtain/soap dish and the Mid Century advertising in the bathroom. Now let us see the garage!

6. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

good time, looks like..... sweet bathroom!!!!!!!!!

7. gassman57

gassman57

Megan....I don't care how dark the video is......That is a classic....hats off to Nsh57 for drivin' the Deuce in that weather!! Cool....cool....cool; on the bathroom. Hey; that Tan 39/40 pick-up would look great towin' my Woodie Teardrop......what do ya think?

8. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

Looks like it was a really good time. Am I the only one that noticed the kid sitting on his dad's lap, in the front seat, of a car with no roof, on snow-covered roads?

9. The bathroom looks KILLER!!!!!!!!

10. Nice job Megan, again, wish we could have gone! Bathroom looks great!

11. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Sorry we missed it. Looks like a great time.

May need alot more space the next time though....

Congrats on the house.

Keep us informed if theres another Meet and Eat.

12. Megan,

Wow, you got a crazy turnout. Looked like a great time.

But the bathroom is great, nice job.

CBB

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  13. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Thanks again for getting everything lined up. Had a great time. Met some really nice folks and few "rockstars":D. An idea for a later meet and greet, my club does a cookout the same weekend as Blue Suede Cruise. Have plenty of room. Maybe some of the western Oh. gang would make the trip.

14. DragFrame

DragFrame

I see where you poop! lol just playin.

Anyways had a great time. Cant wait to do it again come warmer weather and can drive my 49. Had a great time meeting everyone.

15. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

WOW looks like it was a great time and what a perfect place to have it at. I wish i could have attened, but maybe this summer at Deadendcruiser's house ill have my car done and we can get some more cars and people there. It was a great time last year cant wait for this year!!!!!

16. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Sorry we cut out early, like I said, it was in the mid-20's and dropping when we got home. And who says you can't drive straight axle cars?

The bathroom looks great.

17. Had a blast, really enjoyed the meet hope there will be more, thanks again. Rags

18. Looks like a cool restaurant and what an awesome turnout...did you guys dine and dash (that's traditional after all)? That Mechanics cabinet kills me...a buddy of mine had one and promised it to me for 200 bux and decided to sell it for 250 and never told me...kept bugging him as to when I could come and get it and finally said he sold it the week before...turns out an antiques dealer bought it and now I can get it for 1500 if I want it...bathroom looks great but I agree with Jeff let's see the garage and congrats on getting the house

19. nsh57

nsh57

Thanks again to Megan and Denise and all who helped with (and attended) the meet and greet. I had a great time, and met a bunch of great people! I can't wait to see all of you out and about this spring. And thanks to Megan for the great pics and video!

20. mikew

mikew

Sorry I missed it, won't next time

Mike

21. speed-kings

speed-kings

We had a great time. Cant wait to meet up with you guys again.

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I had a BLAST! Thanks to everyone who made the effort to attend. I was shocked that Nsh57 and Mercury Kid drove in the near zero temps. Hats off to you both.....HARD core for sure!

Looking forward to doing this again real soon....maybe in the Cleveland area???

Ya, but you'd better bring your own TP! Trust me, I know from first hand experience.:D

You welcome ;) I got your PM, and I'll send the high res version to your email tonight.

23. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Nice job on the meet and eat. Cool restaurant, looks like you had fun. Like the bathroom wallpaper and LOVE the 64 Poncho. Gary

24. cool bathroom! wish i could do that to the 2 bathrooms i'm getting ready to do but it kinda limits the buyers.:rolleyes:

25. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

The walls look GREAT!!! But I gotta say... I'm not diggin the "shell" seat too much. Maybe pinstripe it or something. LOL I'm sure it would be the ONLY pinstriped "shell" toilet seat within at least a 6 mile radius.

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Megan's grandma had this whole fish/shell thing going on. Trust me, even if I have to buy the new seat myself, the old ones history:D...along with all the other kick-nacks in there. She's already got a cool RT66 shower curtain and we've talked about some Weezner art in there. :cool:

27. I was thinking about that RT66 shower curtain for that bathroom when I first saw the pictures, and a white nice quality seat would be cheap to replace the shell seat. Then she could have that one pinstriped.

Just my 2 cents,

CBB

28. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Just wanted to check in, Would have love to go to this meet and eat, Been to that place before and it is a very cool place, maybe next time as for the bath Very cool.:cool:

29. Cool report, young journalist. As usual, I get to enjoy a report by you or Denise. Looks like a great time was had by all. Thanks for the coverage.

30. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

had a great time, thats was a bitchin restaurant also! would like to see you guys at Our Innagural Disturbing the Peace meet. ill post the flyer this weekend. Thanks again for setting that meet up!