Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ohio falcon people.. Need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53fordcustom, Nov 13, 2011.

1. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Ok so I live in Columbus Ohio and one of my cars is a 62 falcon 2dr, w a 170 in it. I've lost my patience with the current 2speed fordomatic I've got in there. Does anyone have a suggestion on my easiest fix or does someone in the state have a working fordomatic out of this car they want to get rid of?? I need to get this car driving again without spending a ton of cash to do anything to crazy.. My other project is taking up enough of my cash-flow as it is.. Pm me I'd you've got anything for me!!

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Honestly, the best way to take care of this deal is to get rid of the Ford-o-matic. I know you don't want to hear that, but it is the truth. How you do it will be determined by whether the engine is original to the car or of later origin. If the engine is an original with the small bolt pattern, your choices get kinda slim. Going to a 3 speed manual is a good way to go, or better, go to a T-5 5speed with an adaptor. There is a trans Ford made in '65 that I believe was called a Cruise-O-Matic, which was an early version of the C/4. This is what I put in my '62 about thirty years ago. It wasn't easy to find then, so I can imagine that it wouldn't be easy today. As far as bolt up to pre '66 Falcon engines, that's it.

If your 170 is '66 or later, life gets alot easier. Any C/4 from '66 - about '80 will bolt up to the back of the block and is a major improvement over the near worthless Ford-O... The other option wolud also be going 5 speed, but with a much more robust clutch assembly than the earlier small bell housing will allow.

This is probably not what you were wanting to hear as far as advice, but in my book, I wouldn't waste a dime trying to make the stock Ford-O-Matic stop leaking and slipping... It just won't happen.

3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

drop a 283 with a turbo 350 in it :rolleyes:

4. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Fair enough.. Good advice isn't always the easiest or cheapest.. My cash lately has been going towards by f1 I'm building so this is just a side note I'm trying to get out of my hair.. Much appreciated info though

5. shocker998md

shocker998md

look around on craigslist man, I found a 200/c4 combo that I got to drive for 200 bucks. All new accessorys on the engine too.

find out about the engine date for the block and post back up here.

6. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Or find a Ford trans guy who knows what he is doing like Jim Paquet.

7. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Found block numbers.. Looks like I've got an inline 6 from a 69 or 70 maverick . 5 freeze plugs tells me it's a 200ci. The c4 I had got for free was no good with the bigger bellhousing realized it was off a 73 maverick that had a 250 inline. So if I'm not mistaken my easiest move to get to a better tranny is find a 66 or newer c4 off a 170 or 200. The motor I have in there runs good no sense in messing with it right now. And yes if I got a better trans in there I might enjoy driving it more if it could actually drive comfortably at freeway speed.. Any feedback on the trans?

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yep, you got it now.

9. 62rebel

62rebel

you have source cars up through '82 that used c-derivative automatics behind 200's using small bellhousings; any straight six foxbody car will have a normal non-aod small bell c3 (simplified c4) that will do what you need. seeing how you're in Ohio.... lotsa drag racers build on foxbody 'stangs and fairmonts.... there oughta be some loose c3's around. it's not a c4 but you're not shoving 400hp through it.

10. LowA100

LowA100

I have a original 30,000 mile (200 motor) '70 Maverick that I am about to put a 5 speed in. It has a perfect C-4. In Dayton $200.00 Send me a private message if interested -- Dave