Register now to get rid of these ads!

ohio anybody?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carpunk, Sep 27, 2012.

1. carpunk

carpunk

ok slightly off topic but a few questions

anybody got an idea of rates for renting a small yard or place to build/store stuff?

anybody know if ohio or ca is best place to apply for a car licence and big rig licence?

whats the smog situation for cars

whats the engine swap situation with dmv

p.m if you like thanks

2. Gibbs place is about the cheapest around. No water, but under $500 a month gets you a large shop.

I would think any registration would be easier and cheaper in ohio...

We have E-check. Does not apply to vehicles over 25 years of age.

as far as engine swaps, if its 25 years old or older, have at it! No regulations at all, no inspections, nothing...

3. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Ohio is the only place I know where you can drag race in the snow.... Hangover Nationals on New Years Day. Weather is irrelevant..... Sun, rain, ice storm, snow.... They race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FabRQQZ2CsQ

4. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Everyone should try this at least once.
    Better than even chance that you will go back again.

Dave

5. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Welcome to ohio, Other than the cold snow and rain it's great here, I'm down south of cleveland and we have a car cruz here every sat. night till nov. About 200 to 500 car show up every week, Don't forget about dragway 42, and we have the lake if you like boating, and if you like to party there is Put-n-bay, and Barg partys, Kind of like lake havasu but the girls have to wear there tops. LOL Also check out Norwalk dragway, Lots of big shows going on there and don't forget all the big shows that go on At Summit racing down near akron.:D

6. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Oh and if you like to Surf, we got that to, Best time to go surfing is in NOV and Dec. just wear a wet suit and you be ok.;)

7. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

The only thing I can think of is that you have to have your car inspected when moving here to get new plates, just go to any New car dealer and all they do is look at the title and the vin on the car and make sure it good, give you a paper and go do e-check for 25 and newer and go to dmv and get your plates, as for your old 25 or older, no echeck and you can get a historical plate and it's like $30 bucks or something like that, and it's good for as long as you own it, and it's a one time fee, I bought my plates way back 10 years ago for $25, best thing I could ever do.

8. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Also there is Quaker steak and lube car and bike shows, check them out, And also Choppers hotrod club, they do alot of shows. Oh and Detriot auto ramma is huge!!!!;)

9. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

10. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

There is a lot of car activity on East Ave in mentor and rental garages for two cars front to back is $170 a month . This is 1/4 mile from an excellent fabricator, 1/2 mile from our painter, and a couple miles from our upholsterer. Then 10 miles away we get reasonable plating. Very well situated

11. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Does Pittsburgh still do the snow drags?

12. bantam

bantam

I lived and worked in northeast Ohio for 20 years before relocating to Tennessee this past January. I thoroughly enjoyed living there but like all places there are pluses and minuses. Here's my thoughts.

1. There is a very good car culture with well attended shows and swap meets as everyone says.
    2. People from the mid-west are generally a nice bunch of hardworking, blue collar, folks. They make good friends, coworkers, and neighbors.
    3. Depending upon where you live you will generally have good school systems.
    4. Land and home prices are relatively cheap so you can better afford a big house or, better yet, a small house with a huge garage!
    5. Because of the winter weather many homes for sale will have extra garages or buildings already erected. In Tennessee, again because of the weather, garage space is not valued the same way and it's not as easy to find garage space already built out.
    6. I liked having 4 seasons. Summer and Fall in Ohio are beautiful.
    7. Some bad news: Northeast Ohio averages 100 days of sunshine. By comparison, Memphis, Tennessee averages 300 days of sunshine. Boulder, CO averages about 310 days. I do not miss the cloudy weather.
    8. Some really bad news. The snowbelt east of Cleveland (where Mentor is located) is brutal. If possible, opt for a short commute......and 4-wheel drive. However, as my daughter said the other day, it's just not Christmas without snow. Not sure how we'll feel this Christmas without it.

Good luck!

Bantam

13. carpunk

carpunk

wow! thanks everyone well i think its going to be an adventure!
    hopefully it will not have the things that annoy me about socal
    and still have some of the things i like about socal

anybody know where i ,,ship,, cars/parts out of ohio area for in/out europe? is it NY or is there other places?
    maybe a local warehouse that trucks/rails it there like they do in LA?

14. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Ive sold 3 vehicles overseas. one to England, one to Denmark, one to Australia.
    all were trucked from here(NE Ohio) to baltimore maryland to those docks.

As was said above. Northern Ohio has its issues, but I lived in texas for a few years, and I did miss the 4 seasons. I know its weird, but I do like the cold dreary winters and snow. Fall and spring are beautiful.
    And youre going to be in the heart of a huge car culture.
    Im about 60 miles SE of there.

15. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

Ohio has the best as far as the car culture is huge here. The best swapmeets drag strips and like others have already said there is something going on every weekend .....beware of RUST thats the worst thing about Ohio cars....Welcome to our State......Canfield Ohio has a great swap meet 3 or more times a year and its not to far from Mentor.....Good Luck and Happy Holidays

16. chevy3755

chevy3755

hook up with Don Moyer......you will be glad you did..........

17. carpunk

carpunk

hi everyone1
    I havent been on in a while as iv been overseas il be up there soon im just dealing with
    the mortgage here and renting up there.

3 things are there any real good events around april/may as i would like to plan around them.

ok gear head to gear head
    anybody know of a fair price house to rent (500-1100 pm) prefer mentor area with garage/yard non smokers but we have 2 small non shedding dogs.security/payments/deposits no problem (sorry if this is off topic)

3. THANKYOU

18. Steadfast mfg

Steadfast mfg

Welcome to Ohio always something happening weather permitting. If you don't like the weather give it twenty minutes it will change.We are in Mansfield stop in anytime. Norwalk Raceway has the Blue Suede Cruise and don't forget Goodguys Columbus it's the best.

19. gasbag

gasbag

Orignal home of the gasser - Montgomery,Hrudka Bros,Schartman. Much
    activity (not so much in the winter)! Check out my site at
    quartermileclassics.wordpress.com
    with particular attention to "Blue Suede Cruise" events each July at Norwalk.

20. carpunk

carpunk

well my oil stained bretheran we made the trip 2500 miles with little drama and i saw some great junk yards and cool wierd stuff on route i hope theres stuff like that here as ive seen some pretty ripe rotten cars driving around so i fear for my daily trucks future!
    seen very few cool cars though maybe its the snow and that crap the spray on the roads? anyway were staying temporary at a hotel untill we find a home to rent near mentor
    i brought a few tools but had to leave my engine crane ellsewhere. looking forward to meeting some of you and checking out some yards shows etc and getting stuck into a project or two i can enjoy and use. and if i can help out i will
    thanks again.

21. chrisser

chrisser

Glad to hear you made it OK.

Just about everyone with a cool car here puts it away for the season. It's a losing battle trying to combat the rust and accidents that come with winter. Plus, having cars rust out makes the survivors a lot more valuable than they'd be in other parts of the country.

You've got about a month left (give or take a few weeks either way) of winter and then the cars will start coming out of the woodwork - especially if we get a warm spell and some rain to wash the salt off the roads.

As the others mentioned, the car scene is pretty incredible when it's warm - there's so much to see you probably can't take everything in.

Dragway 42 tends to do some racing outside of the regular season whenever they can get the track clear.

Cleveland AutoRama (now Piston Power Show) is coming up in a few weeks time http://www.pistonpowershow.com/ over by Hopkins airport at the I-X center.

The Cleveland Auto Show (same venue) starts this weekend. They have a whole separate area with older stuff (along with some ricers). We usually skip the new stuff and just hang out in the old car area.

And any time you're bored, the Crawford Auto Aviation museum is worth a visit over in University Circle. No rods, but lots of old tin.

22. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Sunday Feb24 at Croatian Lodge route 91 and Lakeshore Blvd in Eastlake a bunch of car guys get together for a dinner at 4 PM stop by and intro yourself

23. carpunk

carpunk

my time right now is limited to trawling ads finding a home with a suitable garage at the right price and location im really fighting off buying something untill i firmly have my feet on the floor but it shouldnt be long. i saw a few cool cars today out near willoughby hills/kirtland and i dont mind a road trip to get something. its pouring with rain so i hope that may wash some salt away.

24. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Come out to the Piston Power show, a bunch of us will be there.

25. carpunk

carpunk

any good swap meets coming up? within a few 100 miles? im now settled in willoughby/eastlake so if anybody wants to go i have a truck and happy to drive if your happy to share gas or maybe do a junkyard tour?
    also now looking for a project for the right price if anybody has anything available?

body,chassis, wagon 2 door,coupe,van,truck, tow dolly , car hauler/trailer

26. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

The next dave and eds in canfield is May 2,3,4.... I would say best up to date news is in the Cruisin times.... http://www.cruisintimes.org/cruisin/

Things are gonna be firing up here pretty quick, and at least 1 car show a night, many nights have 2 or 3.....

Medina fairgrounds has some good ones. and Randolph has got to be coming up as well...

27. lump

lump

Carpunk,
    Looking forward to meeting you at our CARS & PARTS SPRINGFIELD SWAP MEET & CAR SHOW May 24-26. Contact me again via PM first week of May, and I'll make arrangements, as I promised.
    PS: We're setting up a vintage racing exhibit, with genuine vintage race cars, including drag cars, sprint cars, stock cars, etc. Plus lots of giant old photos, etc. See you there.

28. 409ina49

409ina49
    from Ohio

Welcome. Glad to hear you made it in 1 piece. There are tons of swap meets,junk yards,car shows,etc. in and around this state. Hope to see you at a show this summer.

29. columbus ohio april 5 &6 ALL FORD spring swap meet state fair grounds ill be there saturday (my b-day)

springfield swap meet is coming up sometime in may