Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OH NOOO! 32 WRECK!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Sep 17, 2017.

1. This came up on a FB post. Haven't seen anything posted here about this. My apologies if it has. Glad that the owner, Ben Haag, is OK! Things could have been A LOT worse! Car just made the trek to Bonneville. Suspension failure, apparently.

Ben Haag
    "I'm
    not sure where to even begin...

What was once a dream, has faded into a pile of wreckage. Today was not such a thrilling day for me and the " pale rider" 32 ...3 window that i built..

What started out as a failed trip to PA, turned into a total loss of a 32. A salt filled alternator kept me from driving to PA last night. Luckily it did. Because today at noon, i was leaving a friends house after the alternator replacement, and a major front suspension failure cause the 32 to spin out of control, no steering locked hard to one side, sliding through a ditch sideways where the wheels dug in and the car flipped straight up in the air, barrel rolling, landing on its passenger side roof. i reached down and shut the engine off, The doors were safety pinned shut and stayed shut. I held myself in place under the steering wheel, and thats where i stayed until the car stopped moving. I pried the drivers safety pin out,. and beat the hell out of the door to get out. climbing out only to see my pride and joy at a total loss..

I built this car to drive to bonneville, and i did just that. This heap saved my life. It could have been so much worse. As of right now, even with good insurance, i doubt if ill be able to rebuild another car. Its a sad day in my world. But very lucky to be here to share.

everyone knows i drove this car, and drove it hard... this time, i was actually being kind to it..."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Hate to see this. He said a spring perch failed. Spring ran off the wishbone.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's too bad. What a loss.
    The bonus is not being in a hospital bed.
    The car can be replaced I'm sure.
    Keep a positive outlook and replace or rebuild it.

4. Pete

Pete

Omg ..... so glad your in one piece.

loudbang likes this.

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Glad he is ok.
    Hope this isn't another Speedway parts fail.

chryslerfan55, Jugornot and loudbang like this.
  6. What @Pete said

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Glad he's okay. Hate these stories:(

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe the color/pic angles, but nowhere near a total loss. We're all "1/2 full glass" for you, especially that you survived intact. Get back on that "horse" and I too am happy you're ok.

9. trad27

trad27

Sad to see. At the end of the day a car is just a car, glad your ok.

loudbang and Jalopy Joker like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2 - would like to see close up pics of frontend

loudbang likes this.
  11. Very glad that he walked away from that. Sad for the car, but it does look fixable from what I can see.

Pufff and loudbang like this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Doesn't look that bad! Pull it apart fix the dents and straighten things out. Just think you won't have rust to deal with.

It is just metal it can be fixed, glad to see you didn't get hurt and are around to fix it.

chryslerfan55, Pufff and loudbang like this.
  13. Rand Man

Rand Man

I saw the photos yesterday (on Instagram) but I don't see them here (phone app). I'm sure Haag is bummed out about it. Somebody will want to fix it. Maybe in a vintage stock car style?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, scottrod2 and loudbang like this.
  14. JimSibley

JimSibley

Lucky guy. Looks fixable and know one was hurt. Sad day, but could have been a lot worse.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I followed the build thread the entire time. Great build, so sorry to see this. Glad Ben is OK.

ironrodder and loudbang like this.
  16. Like everyone else,I believe the car can be repaired but Ben may not have the inclination to do the job or the expense involved.

It was a nice looking car and well built to keep it's occupant safe. HRP

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  17. Glad to hear you are OK.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are some photos Ben posted of the car. It is pretty bad. Ben h  32 5.jpg Ben H 32 1.jpg Ben H 32 2.jpg

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  19. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

If built once, it can be done again. I've seen built cars on here that have started out in far, far worse shape than that one is now. You came out uninjured, thank goodness. You built it from the ground up and the only thing keeping you from doing it again is you.
    Good luck.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No part of the body didn't get some damage. It did stay together as a whole and that is due to the the quality of the work. He had door lock pins in place that kept the doors open or it could have been a lot worse. Said he was able to open the pin and force the door open when it came to a stop. Ben H 32 3.jpg Ben H 32.jpg Ben H 32 3.jpg Ben H 32.jpg

chryslerfan55, ls1yj and loudbang like this.
  21. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Shaun1162 and loudbang like this.
  22. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

at the least it truly can be a 'beater'... and he has a story to tell the grankids.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    raven, sjm1340 and loudbang like this.
  23. 6inarow

6inarow

Wonder if there were seat belts?

loudbang likes this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would have to go though the build thread for that. He did say that he was holding on to the steering wheel for all he was worth. One thing about it there wasn't a problem of being thrown out or partially out of a window on that car.

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  25. AHotRod

AHotRod

God was watching over him.

26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It AINT that bad! It is pretty damn straight for what it went through. Most cars stray out way worse than that.
    All the nellies need to quit crying and scream fix it!

27. Whats great is that we are hearing about it from him and not reading an obit in the paper.

I know its disheartening to see your work destroyed that that, but don't get rid of it, let it sit a while and then you may decide its worth your effort to start on it again.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

So glad he was able to open the door and walk away. Being on a back road and not on an interstate is one reason things weren't worse IMO. Speaks well for the workmanship that went into the body construction. Bob

29. A Boner

A Boner

With the spring behind the axle, when the main leaf of the spring, spring perch or shackles fail, the spring just drops to the ground. That is why it is called a suicide front end. That is why most Fords come with the spring on top of the axle....if something gives, the axle is there to keep the spring from hitting the road, and digging in.
    Sure glad you didn't get hurt.....MAKE SURE to buy the coupe back from the insurance company, no matter what your plans are now!

chryslerfan55, clem, p15-1948 and 4 others like this.
  30. I had just gone through the whole build thread last night and now this.....very sad but glad Ben is OK. JW

loudbang likes this.