Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not completely decided whether alternator or generator yet, I love the look of the geneator but as this is gonna get some use an alternator makes sense, whatever I chose it will be at the top on the left as you look at the car from the front.

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Managed to get back on this today so started sorting out the doors, the doors that came with the cab were pretty aweful and fitted where they touched !!!
    Solution was to make up part of the door inner front from the Coupe mould and graft it into the pickup doors.

[​IMG]

Next a trial fit to mark the cutouts for the hinges.

[​IMG]

The stainless steel hinges were marked and cut to length (they come longer than you need) then the mounting holes were marked and drilled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I keep hearing about people that struggle to drill stainless so heres a couple of video's

Ponti461 likes this.
  3. AWSOME LANGY!! Exceptional work.

4. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Last couple of evenings i've been working on the doors, I've learnt a lot too !!!, you wouldn't believe how many small differences there are between 40 & 41 doors !!!
    Anyway I got the new section bolted in and hinging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job was to cut its opposite number out of the door inner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To hold the inner in place I cut some ply blocks the required thickness and temporaliy attached them to the door frame then used a couple of screws to position the door inner, I used tape to hold it in place around the screen pillars and used mat & resin to glue the parts together,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the matt had cured I transferred to the bench, here you can see where some of the contours don't line up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next on the agenda is this top corner

[​IMG]

6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

As always, you take on these tasks that would send many of us scrambling for professional assistance and brake it down into steps we can understand and even possibly attempt to duplicate. Thanks for sharing.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha, its not too bad really, its just a case of lining it all up, a bit like doing a jigsaw with glue LOL It looks like a dogs breakfast at the moment but will be fine once blended & fettled.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

A bit more done last few evenings, these doors look like they have never been fitted, i'm not surprised really as they are all over the gaff !!!

Sorted the top front corner, a piece of plastic sheet was curved and held in place with some screws, the glass don't stick to the plastic and it leaves a nice smooth surface. I also replaced the return.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I had to do something with the top return as it was as straight as a dogs hind leg !!! dotted line shows what had to be removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bottom front corner was pretty mishapen so chopped it off and reglassed it.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I have to sort the bottom of the door which is like the sea !!!

9. farmer12

farmer12

I'm just catching up on the last progress installments of the build and I must say it's looking great Steve!

10. loudbang

loudbang

Could you direct us to a site that translates British into English :)

I can guess but it's a head scratcher for us colonials.........."as they are all over the gaff !!!"

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

In southern jutland gaff is; the distance between two objecjs. Can be the distance between door and cab. Or door and fender.

To whom is it wing and to whom is it fender?

And when you are ad it, dogs dinner is bad?
    Dogs arse is good?
    Dogs boluks is bad?

This is confusing, and I May be the only one brave/stupid enough to ask?

This look so good, you most be the champ in making tupperware look like genuine detroit steal! I bet alot of people tap gently on your car and still is in doubt, to If it is steal or not.
    Gaps are perfect, door close perfecly with a deep Sound, and everything fits togther perfecly.

This is only my gess based on the quality of your other builds, almost OSD'ed lever details on parts matching and the polished details.

I know why I subscribe to your builds!

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

All over the place, gaff means house/place, not exactly the queens English LoL

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha, I'm one of them cockneys from London, a lot of it is just cockney slang, dogs dinner means looks a mess, dogs arse would be not looking good, dogs bollocks means looks great, don't ask me why though :cool:

volvobrynk and Ponti461 like this.
  14. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Too funny.

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Todays first job was to sort out the bottom of the inner skin, for some reason it was terribly bowed, this picture shows it but it was much worse but last night i clamped it to some box section and left it overnight, got rid of a lot of the bow but still not good enough so out with the box section and clamps to get it straight and then a piece of 3/4" x 16swg box was glassed in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rough sanded the repairs to see how they looked, still a bit more sanding needed but they are now looking much better. I shot a quick coat of aerosol primer on the get a better looksee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ponti461 likes this.
  16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The door inners are now pretty much there now which left one last job before I start putting metal and windows in, the job was to put in a return to mount the whisker strips onto, this is one job I always do on a glass car as looking in the window opening there is nothing worse than seeing the door inards, it really spoils any nicely built car.
    So around the opening was keyed up and I mixed up some chopped mat and resin, I call it strawberry but its also known as bridger, its basically small chopped fibreglass strands mixed in resin to form a paste, its very handy for certain jobs.

[​IMG]

Next I started installing the window channel, to hold the channel I split a piece of 20mm x 1.6mm box in half which gave me 2 10mm deep channels, the felt window runner is a nice snug fit in this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I cut some 5mm ply to shape as a window template and formed the felt channel around it.

[​IMG]

17. frankendragster

frankendragster

That truck is gonna be awesome keep the pics a comin

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

A bit more progress, started framing up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude.

20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Steve,
    Maybe I should wait and see what you do next, but will you be glassing in more of this support structure? If so I appreciate you showing us the frame work before you do glass it in. It allows us to see clearly how it was made.

Sam

21. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

Always learning something from following along with you on your builds. Great job as always!!! I am sure i will be using this build as a guide to get me though mine

22. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

All I can say is WOWWW, thanks for the insite on how it should be done. Henry

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi Sam, no the steelwork is just bolted in, it doesn't get glassed in, its basically there to give a bit more rigidity and to use as attachment points.

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the positves Henry, cheers

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

If it helps one person mate its all worth it, cheers for the kind comments

26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks Steve, It looks like it is strong as is. I appreciate how you always acknowledge or questions and comments.
    Sam

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

No problem Sam.

28. continually impress by your approach and detail, keep at it as it's both impressive to see, and encouraging to all to get involved build stuff. Love it.

Cheers,

Drewfus

29. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

How did I miss this thread all this time.... Wow Steve. Great work as always.... Subscribed now.
    Another quality build coming up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Bit more done to bore you all

I usually like manual window winders in an old car but as I didn't have any VW winding mechanisms in stock I decided to use some electric units I stock, I guess as I sell and endorse these kits I really should use them as well !!!

First job was to modify the top mount as it wasn't how I wanted it, Chopped it off and welded my version on.

[​IMG]

I modified the bottom mount to my liking also, all the holes are drilled 1/4" while I set it all up then I drill out to 3/8" to allow a bit of adjustment in all directions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also fixed a steady for the motor

[​IMG]

Heres the mechanism in place, Its really a great little kit that works great, comes with switches & wiring harness but I won't be using them as I don't want the look of modern switches.

[​IMG]

This is a shot of the clamping system, A great idea that works

[​IMG]

The top limit relies on the bracket I cut off so I spun up a buffer in the lathe for the end of the travel. also clipped up the exhaust tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres what i'm using in place of the modern rocker switches, they use micro switches for up & down action, i'm using 34 ford winder handles, modern windows with an old look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the switches are mounted in simple brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job was to bond in the window channel, using Polyeurathe Adhesieve Sealant, sticks anything like shit to a blanket !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found these door actuators on my shelf and they are just the right length and will take the 34 ford handles perfectly. Locks are some slim bearjaw locks I had kicking around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimmy Tee likes this.