The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Dec 8, 2013.
Looking good Steve.
Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
WOW! The Brits are NAILING it when it comes to fabricating and Willys!!
langy, You are sure making some great progress on your new cab. Bet it won't be long and it will be yanking the wheels off of the tarmac . . . . . .
Hahaha, not with a Y block Dave, I would of thought 13's would be the order of the day but I might have to pep the old Y up a bit more as Sue mentioned that she wouldn't mind putting it down the strip at some point
BRILLIANT !!! Chris
Dunno about that Chris but its looking ok from here
Steve, I am excited and reallt looking forward to seeing progress and also the build of your Hopped Up "Y' Block. Bet it will be very respectful to hear run !
Got a bit more done, these lighter evenings are a real bonus, firewall finished up now on the inside,
I started thinking about the master cylinder and pedal placement so decided to get it out of storage ready for a trial fit, opened the master cylinder box and spotted a small problem, I had set the brake bracket up with a 54 F100 cylinder but had ordered a 55 cylinder, I didn't even know they were different, the bores the same but the bolt hole configuration was way out, I thought about cutting a new bracket out but decided to make an adaptor from a piece of 1/2" aluminium plate, the pics explain it all.
Next I found a piece of stainless and turned up a pedal pad, found a piece of rubber in an old mat.
One thing that I didn't like was the horrible black plastic cap on the master cylinder so machined up a cover to glue over the plastic one, machined a slot for the plastic cap ears to fit snugly in and gave it a knurl on the outside and glued it in place.
The output of the cylinder was 1/2" unf and i'm trying to use brass brake fittings on this car, mainly because I like them, Couldn't find a fitting in brass so made one up on the lathe. I found a brass 90 - 1/8" npt to go into it but had to make a 3/8" tube nut, couldn't tap the 1/8" npt thread as someone borrowed my tap and havn't bought it back yet !!!
Steve you're showing off again with that cap and then to top it all the fittings . I am definitely coming down to your shop to watch the master at work.
Basic fabrication mate, anyone can do it, you just have to want to.
You as always set the bar out of reach for most of us, but for the first time I have a negative comment. Please seal the intake to keep crud out of that great engine.
Haha thanks bud, it's not gonna be a problem as they only thing I'm using on the motor is the block & crank, everything else is new & updated.
Nice workmanship......as usual
And have the tools
and have the talent
I echo the sentiments... it's a pleasure to watch your work come together
Thanks saxxon, your too kind
So is this the cab your going to use or are you going to make a mold on this one and use copy for this truck?
Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
I will use this one as the firewall is made to suit the Y block, but I will take a mould from it first, the bodies sold will have a stock firewall but supplied as a separate piece so it can be put wherever people want it.
Does that make sense ???
Steve, I am so exzcited to see your Y-Block build. A good running "Y" is a joy to listen to. I am sure that yours will have a very nice snarl or rumble . . . . . Would love to hear it run on it's first cruise. Keep us informed.
Not much progress as had a few interuptins yesterday but now the firewall is in i started to put some steel framework in and mounted the door hinges.
Steve, Looking forward to more progress on your Willy Pick uP !
hAVE FUN WITH YOUR BUILD !
Did we actually get to witness an actual mistake by Langy like us normal folks make?
Looks like the bottom firewall hole was a little off.
Looks to me like it's just excessive black marker drawn were the hole would be. I doubt he would make that mistake and then post it for all to see.
But of course
I never thought I would enjoy watching a glass body being modified/made strong and now you have done it to me twice Steve! Looking great!
More steel framing today, I wanted to tie the inner steel work in to the frame so first job was to make a pair of brackets, and fit to the frame and firewall.
Next I looked at a problem I have been thinking about for a few days, the problem is on the willys you can't bring the tube frame down to the floor level because there is no recess anywhere for it to fit into, this is my solution, basically a 3 sided box bolted down to the floor and tied into the inner fender panel and also tied into the firewall brackets.
I also got to make the roll cage front bar bracket that is bolted into the chassis and front outrigger.
Looks like you have an opportunity to tie the bottom door hinge to the frame as well.
How are you doing the domed bolt heads and stopping them from spinning when doing them up?
Yes absolutely but it's nowhere near finished yet, there is a lot more to go in there yet.
For the bolts I just use a free running plain nut and a spring washer, they tighten up no problem.
Nice work Steve! My problem hasn't been tightening the oval head bolts; it's been later if I had to remove them and they got stuck. I gave in and went with allen oval heads to ensure I could remove them without a battle.
Vall we call them coach bolts here, they have much larger head when you buy them, I just reshape the head to resemble a rivet, under the head is square which locates in a hole with the corners filed out, I only use stainless ones and I use oil on them and a plain nut and spring washer, they come undone every time.
Separate names with a comma.