Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh No!!! It Can't Be...Another Gasser Build? Yup, 1961 Buick Skylark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Feb 10, 2009.

1. am i the only one not drinking the gasser kool aid?
    those cars were never gassers back in the day.
    it might make a cool super stock.
    did buick even compete in super stock?
    if anybody needs me ill be in my back yard turning my 68 chevy one ton truck into a bonneville car.
    i give up.

2. Your need to respond here negatively is need why? Better yet, please don't reply. It is not welcome.

BTW... I don't know the proper terminology but let's classify it as a "gasser styled" car.

BloodyKnuckles

3. gonmad

gonmad

Whatever blows your skirt up dude! I'm sure there is a class for it at The salt! Good luck to ya!
    Thanks for the helpful post tho!
    LOL.

4. Hey man - pass the kool aid!

5. Looks GREAT man! I'll try and come by the shop around noon today and see the both of you. Later, Mackel

6. sinticket

sinticket

What a dumb a$$! Why do you even post? Please do as your last sentence says an "GIVE UP". Is your 68 Chevy a RAT that RULE's, like your signature states. Please! Freakin Idiots!

7. Bloody

Found these on BadBob's coverage of the GG event in OC. Thoought you might like some more inspiration.....

Attached Files:

8. Brett, Thanks you very much. That's a cool looking "gasser". I need more shots of it. I can't find that car anywhere.

Thanks again,

BloodyKnuckles

9. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Over 200 post and then along comes this “circular donkey” that doesn’t have a positive thing to say but wants to show everyone how negative he can be. What a Dick, bet he’s gay. His quote should be Gerbils Rule.

Ron if there is any kool-aid going around save some for the Auto Fair. At the pace your going, with this car, maybe you’ll be able to bring it to the fair one day.

10. BTW... I don't know the proper terminology but let's classify it as a "gasser styled" car.

BloodyKnuckles[/quote]

Not trying to be too negative here, but a gasser is a purpose built car for drag racing....Not to sure but looks like your going more for the "Street Freak" build. A "gasser styled" car is the new rat rod.........

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hate to break it to the negative nancies but a lot of cars built to fit in the gasser class were street driven as well. So get over yourselves. I particularly don't like gassers but let Ron build what the hell he wants. Well until he says that it's gonna be flat black with red rims, then we dogpile him.

12. I think its time for a drama deletion! Moyer said rat rod!

Gasser applies to all gas classes if you ask me - a gas coupe etc. Drag strip talk = gasser

get back out in the garage bitches!!!

13. Haha! that is the problem with the english language, there is so much more to it than words, especially when typing.....I have no problem with Ron and him doing what he wants to with his car....it is his car. And I agree that in the beginning they were built to be street legal.... So you could drive your car to the strip. But, "gasser styled" just flipped my switch.....

14. :) rat rod gasser!

15. Don, I did not mean to ruffle your feathers. I have a great deal of respect for you and your car. I can understand your frustration but understand mine. I know that there are alot of gassers being built lately and it's because it embodies the true meaning of our sport, going fast. I love the looks and have done alot of homework and will learn alot during and after the build. Just because a this car wasn't a popular choice back in the day doesn't make it silly. It is essentially the same as the Tempests and they were abused.

I plan on driving this car alot and also run it at the track. It will not be a bare bones, engine set backed, fire breathing monster but what it will be is a classy looking car that may have a look of being built back then with driving in mind then racing as a close second.

I don't feel as if this is a "street freak" because it won't be that sky high look and the newest looking item on the car may be from '68.

So with that said, what would the best terminology be for this car when it is completed?

BloodyKnuckles

16. Please, no more drama.

I hate those kinds of threads.

BloodyKnuckles

17. Yours

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I don't think a Street Freak would be necessarily a bad term to use. They were often street cars that were a bit more exaggerated but still very fast. I bet some of the Baby Boomers will agree that there was probably a couple in each of their towns that were well known to walk anything they came up against. I don't think that a some of those cars get the respect that is deserved.

As far as the term Gasser goes in '62 the strict regulation of the gas class were lifted. This kicked off the era of the "Gasser Wars" where a 10% maximum engine set back was allowed, 24" maximum height of Crank from ground, and factory wheelbase made up some of the rules of the class. Seeing how this car may pass all of those it may work but I think there may be a rule about engine swapping. A great deal of those cars were not as high as some might think. Often the back was squatted down with the front being raised for weight transfer but because rules were strict they could not just set it where ever they wanted. These were meant to be cars that competed as close to stock looking cars that did not run on fuel.

A/FX (Altered Factory Experimental) may be the term that we are looking for on this car if the wheel base is different from the factory measurement. I think that it may have fallen into this category if it was raced on the track after '62.

But I go back to Street Freak as a term that should not be frowned upon. Some of them may have been sort of goofy looking but some of them where street slayers that ate up everything that they came across. There were no classes on the street so anything was possible therefor crazy engine swaps and suspension setups led to some pretty cool cars. Fuck this car is not getting the A/G painted on the side so why not consider it a street car? The late 60's I am starting to realize were really cool in terms of drag racing. There was a great deal of individuality and some really crazy cars being built.

I don't know what to call it but perhaps a fast street car is probably going to be the path of least resistance. There are so many babys on this thread that love to start shit. I am all for one on getting things historically correct but there is a tact to saying things even on the internet.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Pretty sure that this car would fall into an A/FX category. It looks like the wheel base has been increased by it being pushed forward (which eliminates it form the Gass class). Very cool car and Bloodyknuckles' car is not too far off of this one. The rear may need to come down a couple inches to shake the Street Freak "look". But either way I think it's going to be awesome!!!!.....and get walked by Jeremy.:D

[​IMG]

20. Great information on the Gasser term Jeffrey!
    Now wouldn't that thing look so much better BLOWN!

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I Think so but that only because I got chills when I heard your '32 start up at Dixie Fried last year. It has inspired me to hopefully get a Blown 303 Olds in my roadster next year.

Don't quote me on that information as I'm only 27 and was not living let alone racing during that time. It is the info that I have picked up from here and the Gasser Madness site as well as a few books. For the most part I believe it to be factual but I did not fact check any of it. I'm thirsty for this stuff so I eat it up any chance I can get.

22. HA ha - cool. Yeah it still gets me when I crank it up too. I was kidding Ron the other day about a huffer. He has other stuff to spend money on now.

No I won't quote you but what you said makes sense - I want to go delete what I wrote - but I won't - I wasn't there either :)

I know I like the way those A/FX or Gasser style cars look and until at least 3 of my buddies have them and I am tired of looking at them I won't say any trend is in effect! God I want to go home and work on my car.

23. thanks for being the only other person on this board that actually has a sense of humor.
    im not actually trying to turn my work beater into a bonneville car.
    i was just trying to draw a humorous parallel.
    obviously it was lost on the others in the group.
    people can spew all kinds of prohibited profanity at me and no one says squat but i make a joke that can be misconstrewed as being negative and im the anti christ.
    im not suprised.
    maybe the others should just take some midol and take a nap.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I get where you are coming from executioner but it's hard to read the tone of another person online. Sometimes it sounds like a small joke is more of a belittling comment. That's why the Smiley icons are there I guess.

I am all for getting things historically accurate and this subject seems to be a hotbed lately. I think the term GASSER is just a loose classification which I am not sure is a good thing but I don't think BLOODYKNUCKLES is trying to pull a fast one over the rule books or officials. He's just trying to relate his build to what has been popularly known as a "Gasser". No Harm No Foul right?

25. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I know I would.

26. How about "Fuck'n Cool" and lets just leave it at that...

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The emoticon is your friend...

:eek: oh my god
    :D big joke here, see me laugh
    :p nah nah nah
    :confused: confused
    ;) winky cause I put one in the stinky

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You are filthy Zman.:D

29. Bit of advice Ron, scrap the project, and push it out of the shop and let me know when....

Jeffrey....where did you say the shop was?

This thing gives me wood!

30. Ron,
    I can't believe the progress on this thing! Looks killer whatever anyone wants to call it. Hopefully, I can view it in person again this week.;)