Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh No!!! It Can't Be...Another Gasser Build? Yup, 1961 Buick Skylark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Cool build. Sorry I missed it earlier.

2. So, who wants an update??

I have completely changed directions for the front suspension. I decided to eliminate the parallel leafs for a few reasons. The main reason is the amount of fabrication for all the spring mounts.

So I have been through the mock up of about 5 different front axles. I have decided on a transverse spring and hairpins. I really think this will be the ticket for this car. I am picking up a tube axle this week.

Also, I have a set of rebuilt heads coming soon which is another big step.

I have to admit that I have had alot more important things going on in my life lately but most of that is done with so I have been spending time thinking on what I need to do to complete this damn thing.

More regular updates to start again soon!!

I hope you're ready:D

BloodyKnuckles

3. lorodz

lorodz

pictures man .........

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

We're ready......got pics?

5. No pics just yet. Soon grasshopper, very soon my son.

BloodyKnuckles

6. Isn't the tube axle a no no with hairpins because it won't flex like an I beam will?

7. brocluno

brocluno

I read through this a couple of times. I think the project is very cool. But, of course, I have some comments/ideas. Love the approach. No need to whack that body, all sorts of clearance provided by the MFG. Right-on keeping it cool and complete for the wife and future. Like the metalwork, you're doing great.

I'm a senior citizen who was around in the days when Gassers were somewhat common on the street. Usually around Santa Cruz in the summer and raced out at four lanes at midnight. Yours would fit right in :)

Nailheads got stuck in all sorts of cars and trucks. The torque thses engines make is phenominal. If you've never driven a big Buick hot rod, you are in for a treat. I'd be conservative with the gear. 3.55's out back with the auto will set you back hard on the street and you'll pull a few guys on the top end. 4.11's if you are racing. But I'd never go deeper than that. Shifting at 5500 was the norm. No need to kill the motor for the short street blast. The motor is just so strong you will have issues hooking it up :)

I do think there are a few things that are not period correct. Disk brakes being the biggest. The holy grail of all street fighters back then who wanted to stop was Buick brakes. They got grafted onto everything that needed good whoa power. Running fat tires out back and skinnies up front will give you stop issues to start with. Adding disks with their longer heat-up times or aggressive pads will make it nearly impossible to balance right. If your wife stomps the pedal in an emergency, the car will not stop straight. It'll either lock the fronts and slide (likely), or if the proportioning valve is cut to balance to the rear, it'll steer, but stop long. I'd really look at moving the whole big Buick package over. It's one of the best drum systems ever built.

I think I'd be looking at the wheel deal a bit. Buick made some stunning steelies with chrome centers, etc. Use them up front with regular radials for normal street driving. Cut the outers off one pair and add VW rims, weld from the back and paint detail the weld burns on the front. Should not be more than about 1/4" discoloration. Mount your skinnies for race passes and run 32~36 PSI (back in the day, 1" whites were the big deal). Same theme for the rear. Dresser centers with race outers. The cheaters can be Wide Whites, but would look cooler on the street if black pies. I'd be trying for drag radials for the rear when the wife is driving to work, etc. Maybe just big Michelins or M/T's?

For axle steering, you can look at mid '80's Toyota Truck 4x4 steering box. It's power and will push a drag link to the front very easily. Looks a lot like a ford truck box. Mounts very easily and will hide away nicely. Uses a rag joint from the factory, so is easy to convert to U joint if you need to angle it if you need to move front/back.

The show boaters ran tube axles. But regularly driven street/race cars usually had truck or van axles. They are cast or forged steel and can be welded. I'd be building the transverse spring kit on the truck axle or a van axle (drilled) which will allow hair pins. The Buick brakes may fit the spindles. If not, there are lot of ways to get there. Even an axle from a 40's Ford truck will donate all the parts you need, plenty strong and mount the Buick brakes with kit parts. Been done a few times by now.

Anyway, just a few thoughts about how a wild guy would have built a big block Buick into a Skylark back in the day. You are staying so close to an all Buick project, it just needs a bit more family theme work :)

OBTW - one reason to build cars this way was to make them easily serviceable when raced. If they broke a n oil pump drive, spun a bearing or something, the pan could come off without pulling the motor. Looks like your loop mount is good, but make sure the pan will pull to be gasser correct. Most got the motors dressed with nice contrasting paint work (engine paints) on the bottom since they are easily seen. Chrome was not all that popular, but well painted pans were with parts stickers - Isky, Moon, etc.

Looking forward to the pics. Great build :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009

8. I have to admit, this bit of info is priceless! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to educate me on all of this.

I still have the big Buick drums and backing plates. I will look into using the set up. All the internals are new anyways. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Toyota box. I have been looking at so many different boxes and have yet to find the exact one. I know where I could find a few. As for the oil pan I didn't take into consideration removing the pan. I may have to come up with someting.

I really appreciate all your info.

BloodyKnuckles

9. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Man I can't wait to see this car come together. Keep us posted bro.

10. brocluno

brocluno

You get this baby done and go kill some Tempest wanna be's :)

And Tri-5's, they'll be seeing tail lights :)

If you get stuck with the transverse spring thing, consider coil-overs and a panhard bar. Your frame goes way high along side the motor. The top mount for the coils-overs should be fairly easy? They can land on the truck spring pads. Panhard bar and hairpins and you have a very sano front. It's not the best option, but coil overs were around in the 1960's, mostly for the circle track or sports guys. But home grown gassers would have worked it out just like you are, before they went to the parts catalog :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  11. brocluno...awesome pearls of wisdom

12. x10

cool read for sure. Sure makes me look forward to the first ride!

13. God, I hope you're right. That would be fun!

Soon we'll see.

BloodyKnuckles

14. so - are you going to have this thing ready for the Auto Fair? You realize it was December 15th of LAST YEAR since you posted on this thread and you were just bull shitting then too. COME ON MAN!!!!

15. chris55

chris55

You all have to stop posting on here. You keep getting my hopes up.:(

16. he may have been too busy POSING for his AVATAR !!!! ha ha ha ha haha :D

17. He's distracted by that E-100.
    Focus!

18. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

It's time to order the roll cage ! It'l make a cool ride!

19. Yeah!! You're getting my hopes up.

Quit it!

BloodyKnuckles

20. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

The boy has automotive ADD.

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

This will be one hell of a car.
    Funny thing is, when i bougt my 70 Ford a few years back a same year Buick
    as yours was sittin next to it at my friends place and i even considered buying
    her at some point.
    Thing is i wanted to make a 70s style lowrider and the Buick really didnt fit the bill.
    Seeing what youve done and Russ photochop made me realize i dont have enuff imagination! :D...ive also seen a few lowriderized exaples lately that made me wonder.......

Oh btw, one question. Im sorry i didnt read all the posts,
    i just scrolled down lookin for pics so you might have said this already.
    Is it a unibody car? in some shots it looks like the frame is one piece w/ the floor
    If so, even more props,i know how hard it is compared to frame off!

22. Yeas it's a unibody. It is a full unibody, not just front and rear like the Falcons and Chevy II's.

It's a challenge because the front rails are arched not straight which required alot of thought and fabricating.

I think the Buick frame is pretty damn strong in comparison to the other unibodys.

I'm hoping to be back on it soon. We'll see.

BloodyKnuckles

23. Nah, he has ADHD.:cool:

24. Just as a quick update, I picked up a Switch Pitch st400 with all the brackets, linkage and electricals and the torque converter with the flex plate.

I am pretty excited about this. This should put the performance of the little car in a different category over the Dynaflow.

I also picked up a set of 4 slots with the 5 on 5 bolt pattern which are the perfect width for the rears.

Just thought I would share my excitement.

BloodyKnuckles

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I got your voice mail, this week is kind of a hell week, but we'll talk about it this weekend.

26. You coming Friday night?

BloodyKnuckles

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

trying to, at least that's the plan. I may just do Friday night and not Sat. at all.

28. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

Skylarks are cool- gassers are cool. Can't go wrong here. I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

29. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

It's about time. This thing has been hanging in the air coming up on two years now.:D

30. Hey, Ron,

Is the Skylark at the IL shop? I just gotta see that contraption!