Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oh how I love my Banger- FEBUARY banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 1, 2009.

1. How would you rebalance the flywheel after cutting it down? Would a normal machine shop be able to do it?
    Tad[/quote]

looks good
    but why not machine the old mounting surface off and redrill the holes and use a v8 clutch?
    tk

2. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Re the flywheel ,did You radius the corners where you cut it down? . I would worry about 75 year old material staying together at inertia and speeds it was never designed or thought of running at. Just a thought or two. :)

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wonder how long it took to turn down this AR Multi Disk flywheel. Note the degree markes cut in it for timing things.

Attached Files:

4. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

This brings up a good point.
    While turning my flywheel a large area of porosity was found in the casting, the area was widespread ~1-2 inches wide and ~.060 deep. The spot was about 180 degrees form a balancing hole.

5. RussTee

RussTee

interesting it is more than chance that the old timers all seemed to prefer the ar multi plate . I really want to play with an ar five bearing cam block and a late b crank and see how my overhead will go on it

6. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

The multidisc flywheel lives on in the crappy SSang Yong OM612 Diesel. A korean copy of the Mercedes OM602 engine. :( .In fact the flywheel design looks like the same.

7. 88daryl88

88daryl88

I doesn't take too long to turn down the '28 multi-plate flywheel.
    It does take some patience to "chain drill" a series of holes around the outside diameter before smacking it off with a BFH. :cool:
    Done one for a vintage midget.

8. wak53

wak53
    from aus

I did radius the edges and its only going on the back of my stocker with a single 97 and winfield head not a high hp rpm engine I didn't have a later clutch otherwise I would of done that mod my labour is cheap someone elses costs me money I figured that it was only balanced to neutral and after talking to my mate who does my balancing we decided not to balance it I will let you know how many toes I have left after a drive.
    Does any one use a H&H spin on oil filter kit that mounts off the timing cover?
    WES

9. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Wes,an exploding flywheel is no luaghing matter, I have seen three . One was a hotted up humber 80 :D which ripped the entire firewall out and blew parts into the road and the others were both Chevs,a 38 coupe cut in half like a chain saw and an altered which was running a STOCK flywheel which sent parts into the crowd 100 feet away. Needless to say the cars owner and engine builder were banned. So it doesn't take too much to blow up a flywheel which is why i asked about radius on the edges, better safe than sorry.:):)

10. I finally got the guy to spit out a price for the carbs and I bought em. Ended up being a little more, but still under what y'all say they usually run. I'm going to keep the updraft and sell off the downdraft for what I paid simply because I didn't have the money to buy em. A certain guy on here has first dibbs, if he passes I'll keep you all informed if anyway wants it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Michael_e

Michael_e

Chris, I'm hoping others will chime in here and let me know if i'm right or wrong on this, but that first pic showing the B Updraft, it looks to me that the fuel bowl is mounted upsidedown. For it to work the fuel bowl needs to be removed and turned 180 degrees.
    Mike

12. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

You're right Mike. The throttle bodies can go either way up but the float bowl has to have the correct orientation.

13. Yes, I realize this. There are some goofy things about this carb. The carb shop I got it from took it apart and cleaned it, and I guess they didn't pay attention to how it went. I already flippd it.

In the first pic, see the long arm on the main body? Thats on the opposite side as the throttle arm. It swings around loosly, what is it for???

14. Oh yeah, and Zach Surh is the man who had dibbs on the downdraft. He helped me with stupid questions about them, so I gave him first crack at it and he took it.
    Thanks again Zach, and everyone else. This is going to be a whole new world for me :D

15. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks again Chris!
    It'll have a good home! :)

16. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Chris,

Both my Winfields have the the original throttle arm on the side that yours has the curious long arm, though both of mine are downdrafts. Maybe the throttle has been set up for cable operation in the past, or perhaps it might be something to do with the hand throttle.

17. Wrong-un, I was thinking hand throttle too. I guess if I don't need it I can just take it off. It also has two cable hloders on the choke horn, one on each side. Kinndawierd, who knows if it's even put back together the way it's suppost to be:D
    I ordered a kit from the guy on Ebay, as well as a chart that shows you how to install and tune a Winfield, so this should be fun!
    Gonna put it on my roadster with a stock A engine, maybe a B head I have layin around if I can find a good water pump.

I'll keep all informed!

18. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

To be honest if you follow the instructions you won't go far wrong. I've dicked with mine a few times and it always runs best when I go back to the standard settings. I'm looking to block off the accelerator pump on my latest one, not much info out there on that so I've asked Bill Nielsen for a little advice.

Bill, if you're reading this, did you get my PM?

20. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

No reply received I'm afraid Bill. Mind you, I had to send my initial one twice to see that it was sent from my end.

So I got something right then?! I take it the plug instead of the pump screw on the carb you rebuilt for me is not a necessity?

No need to remind me you did neat work on the old carb, I always sing your praises if a question is raised about it reliability. Just hope I've done the new one half as good.

21. I don't understand your question regarding the plug and the adjusting screw. If I'm correct in what you are saying/asking you should leave the pump adjusting screw in place.

22. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

On the carb you rebuilt for me there is a plug screw where the adjusting screw once was. If it's OK just to leave the adjuster in then that's good enough for me. Thanks Bill.

23. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ending february with a little ride today. Just wont to say thanks guys for making it a great mouth.
    Bill

24. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

25. shock

shock

Thats some funny stuff !:D

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Just to keep a Dodge Bros. awareness going on this thread. Here are some poor pictures of the front cover and dampner on the Dodge. May not look like much, but it took some planning.

Attached Files: