Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oh how I love my Banger- FEBUARY banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 1, 2009.

1. It's Febuary! Get out the glue sticks, scissors, construction paper,marker and sprinkle sparkles, and make that valantine for your loved one :D

I drove the coupe farther than a couple blocks yesterday. It was bright and sunny, and around 40 degrees...it felt like spring! I was impressed with the pickup in speed it has, and also the looooooong torque curve. It can also zip right up a hill, too!!!
    Today I am taking to it to have an exhaust put on it. I'll get some pics and some video for sound.

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

muffler and a cut out? :D

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

No real progress to report - I think the banger is going to go into hibernation for a while. Thrashing on the '36 p/u as I get ready to go back to the UK in May...

4. Is that a permanent move back? I may have to take you up on thoseT4s then!

5. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Finally managed to get some more work done on the Weber IDA swap, and even managed to get it started!

I took that video straight after first getting it started and it was running very rich, but I've managed to lean it out a little since. Still too rich, but able to take it out for a quick belt down the road. I'd forgotten how badly my brakes need new drums :eek: Feels good on the road though, but badly in need of a rolling road.

6. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I've been upgrading in the carburetor department too and have swapped on a big ol' D Winfield in place of the puny B. When it first fired up it sounded really strong but then started icing real bad and now I've got a problem with it not firing on all four. Didn't get to carry out too much investigative work as I was doing this on the drive and snow stopped play. I'll be back on it as soon as I can and will report back with how things are going.

7. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Being in the UK you are going to be close to folks who can handover some different venturi's etc to tune the weber. I wouldn't try to tune out any richness until I could get it to running temp first. Nothing worse than having to nurse a cold engine with a lean mix.
    Are you using a CO meter?. It's pretty damn hard without one.
    Also,it's very hard to tune a weber when you are feeding two cylinders from one venturi,(ala Mini's :eek: ) but i guess you will figure that out.
    Sounds nice!

8. Ive got to get me one of these.

9. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

No, not using a CO meter, but I'm only trying to get it good enough so I can get it to a rolling road. When I first started it up, it was running so rich my eyes were stinging! I've put some smaller main jets in which have made it drivable at least.
    The rolling road I'm taking it to have many years experience with Webers -including on Minis - so I'm hopeful they'll be able to give it a decent tune.

Neil, you going to post a pic of your adapter?

10. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Sounds like the go, Anyone who has ever got a DCOE to work on a mini can do anything with a weber. How did you figure those long intake runners? Did you use the Chrysler Formula to obtain the length? .

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Two Weber problem that make them rich

Too much fuel pressure.

Float level not correct.

Your carb also has a further quirk.... The little alloy washers on the pump don't seat some times. Look down the barrel with flash light and see if fuel is dripping

Pull a jet tube and you can look at the float level..... It's got to be below the fuel feed hole.

Good luck

12. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I did a bit of research on induction runner length, including what David Vizard had to say about Minis - both being siamesed-port engines - but I admit that in the end I took a bit of a flyer at it. I can't remember everything I read (stuff about pressure waves etc) but I seem to recall something about needing to increase the runner length the lower down the range your peak torque figure is. I wanted to keep the 'sweep' of the runners into the ports as smooth as possible to help with flow.
    My runners are about 9" long, I think, which is shorter than on my old Ansen intake with a 97 on top.
    From what I understand, these IDA's are identical to tune as DCOE's.

13. Wildfire

Wildfire

Mine is in a warehouse somewhere in North Carolina, along with the rest of my stuff. Relocation sucks.

14. Naw,
    I was gonna do a cut-out, but it was so friggin loud drivin around with open headers that I decided not to. I ended up going with strait pipes...it sounds great until it gets spun up, then just gets LOUD. So I'm going to have some small mufflers put on it to quiet it down. I want it loud enough to sound down to business, but not stupid loud.
    I got the dual exhaust header, and had my buddy Dan run the pipes, he did a great job. They poke out just under the bumper. He thinks they look dorky stickin way out, but I like em...looks very early 50's. Whadya think? I had some old 50's Thunderbird NOS 12" long chrome tips for it as well.

Heres a video. I don't know what the squeal sound is after you rev it up, I think it may be the tips because it didn't do it before I put em on, so just ignore it :D. So hopefully some small mufflers will take care of that. It sounds a little choppy on the video. It was filmed in the garage as a little echoy. It does have a good lope to it though!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  15. Artiki, sounds great!!!

16. Another vid
    [​IMG]

17. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Screw the Super Bowl!.... ;) I decided to work a little today into the evening!

Finally got some good weather this afternoon to get a little done with this racer. Not much, but somthing....

Tacked up the mounts from the frame to the springs, then took some 3" tubing and sliced it in half, twice, yielding me
    four halves to make half round clamps with for the spring mounts at the rear axle.

Took the two front spring perch knuckles I had cut up before, and reshaped them a little at their bases, checking their fit as I went.
    Then cut two 1/4" long rings to fit over their bases after they're welded up solid, thus slipping the rings over the weded base, and welding that up
    as an extra amount of backing. A little overkill, but I'd rather overkill it, than BE killed IN it!

I still have to cut up some angles to brace the ears that come off the halves of the clamps where the bolts slip through.
    This way the ears won't suffer from bending when they get tightened, and draw down.

I'm hoping to get the wire wheels taken down to the blaster if I get the chance?

[​IMG]

(This sucker just won't post right side up!!)
    [​IMG]

18. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I guessed you had worked it out that way. They look like you will have a nice mid range response, from an educated guess point of view:). The 9" length should act as an accumulator effect to smooth out the pulses as each valve opens and closes. There is a series of little books published decades ago on how to tune Webers,and it lists every single model they made. I don't remember the name off hand but i'll bet there are some on Amazon. Really handy reference books because they fill in a lot of holes in the knowledge base.
    Chrysler and Daimler Benz seemed to have worked out in the mid fifties (at the same time ) a formula to calculate the length of any intake and exhaust runner to suit what ever rev range a car would be expected to be at. I haven't got it to hand,but it works fine. Prior to finding the formula we would spend hours with lengths of rubber hose tuning intakes ,shortening and lengthening trying to get power.
    Today of course we have variable computor controlled intake runners ....:)

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do declare that to be the wierdest sounding V8 I ever did hear! ;)

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RPM, sine wave bounces off the closed intake port back out the intake opening (mouth of the carb) then back down the intake runner to hit the open intake valve...in short summation.

21. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Chris -

The A looks and sounds great!! Did you put a Red's header on it or??? Gotta put one on the roadster eventually - the stock exhaust is holding it back I know. The whistle thing is kinda cool! Tim :)

22. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Good stuff Chris! Sounds badass (for a banger)

23. Yes, it's a Red's header. It fit kinnda crappy, but I re-worked it and it fits fine now. Still can't bitch for the price, though. The whistle is echoed pretty loud beings it's right agaist the garage door, it's not near as bad outside!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  24. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

I am so jealous over that coupe chris. Looks and sounds great!

25. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

Well the overdrive is in !
    Its really tranformed the car especially when up and running on a good road.
    The gearchange feels a little agricultural but it probably needs more use.
    I was cruising at 1850 rpm and holding a constant 55mph (standard axle gears and 7.00x16 tires) Pulls ok as well.
    Got a reverse eye front spring on and had the rear one reworked the whole car has dropped about 2" looks 100% better.

26. Pictures!

Pictures!

27. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

What he said...

28. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

IDA'S use the same jet holders but tune very differently to DCOE's

Have you used a anti-vibration gasket on the IDA?

29. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Finally got my new banger project sitting together. Picked this up last week no expecting to get any more then the body frame and fenders. Turns out I got the whole car.
    Trying to figure exactly the route to take it, but most paths lead toward the style of Gabby Garrison's car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. A-zonie

A-zonie
    from Mesa, AZ

I like your latest acquisition Zach. Did it come with that running board is that something you custom built? Lot's of potential in that machine! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.