Register now to get rid of these ads!

Offy Breathers ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Roy, May 14, 2008.

1. T-Roy

T-Roy

I just put a set of Offy breathers on my valve covers. Initially I wanted to mount them over the intake manifold, but they won't clear my carb without a tall carb adapter / riser. So, I installed the covers with the breathers toward the outside. I've seen cars run em like this, but I'm concerned about oil blowing out of them on to my headers... Anyone have any issues with oil blowing out, running them to the outside? I'm just getting my car back on the road, if anyone's questioning this... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Did you use a baffle on the inside of the valve cover???

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

How are they mounted? Mooneyes drills a series of small holes instead of cutting out a rectangular opening. The breathers also have form in them. With that set-up, I haven't had a problem with blowby.

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

They will be fine as long as you put a solid gasket between them and the valve cover. If not put you local fire dept on your speed dialer, then your insurance company,auto first,unless you leave it running in the garage then Homeowners first.

Don't forget to leave the video camera outside where you can get it easy for the "You Tube Memory Moments"

Sorry I just got going with this one :)

5. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I stick copper brillo pads inside to help catch oil..

6. T-Roy

T-Roy

I drilled some small holes as opposed to large rectangular holes before mounting them. They also have some "brillo" type material inside them. I know they do get oil in them while idling and oil splashes into them, but was wondering about while driving down the road. Thanks.

Maybe guys that have them mounted to the outside like mine don't actually have breather holes drilled into the covers??

7. noboD

noboD

Bluto, sure glad to see you're feeling normal again. Well, normal for you.

8. jonny o

jonny o

You cant go wrong with some kind of a baffle inside. I made one out of legally obtained road sign aluminum for a normal push-in top mounted breather. Just a plate, held off the inside by a hair with some angles toward the inside wall.

Make sure you have some good vacuum from a pcv and the air should be coming in, not going out. At idle, without any vacuum signal the baffle will take over, but you shouldn't have a huge amount of oil pressure shooting at it either.

9. I drove mine like that for awhile and had no problems but did switch them back to the inside. The problem you'll have is the blow by oil smoke coming out of them and that dripping onto the headers. It isn't like your rockers are going to pump them full of oil, it will drain back into the valve cover as long as your breather gaskets are good.

10. ray

ray
    from colorado

if you run a pcv valve you should be running a properly filtered breather to prevent sucking dirt into the engine.

11. 272sedan

272sedan

heres mine I run baffles and brillo filter but I do get blowby even w/a pcv but it usually takes a week of solid driving between cleaning them its a small price to pay for the look

Attached Files:

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I cut strips of the green Scotch brite pads from the super market. I think I can stack up 3 or 4 layers of it between the perforated metal retainers. If you are not running a PCV system it doesn't matter where you mount them, you'll be constantly cleaning the oil film. As said above the scotch brite is there to keep dust and dirt out and not really to keep oil in. I modify one side to connect my PCV without having to drill a hole in the fins. Personally I don't think the copper scouring pads are fine enough of a filter but that's just my worthless opinion.:D

13. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I put mine on the outside of the cover, had material inside, drilled small 1/4 holes not a slot, they leaked onto the exhaust manifold, as I pulled into the gas station the drop of oil ignited on the hot manifold and I had an exciting blaze going as I opened the hood.......no damage but got the heart going as I saw the flames.......this was with 300 miles on the car on the first cross country trip, I was in the middle of Ohio somewhere. The mess I made with the fire extingusher was worse than the fire, but the car did not burn up. Long story short I would be careful putting them there. My holes are jB welded shut now.

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Yes MY POINT!

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

16. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Tommy, Do you have a good pic of your modified breather?

Thanks

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This was a mock up. I drilled and tapped the breather as shown here. On this side I filled the breather above the hole with epoxy so no air enters this breather. The other side has the scotch brite filter element and you can see the oil fill tube breather at the front of the manifold to act as intakes for the PCV system. I now use the Fram FV-100 PCV valve and it will be a lot cleaner looking.

18. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Thank you Sir, exactly what I needed.

19. T-Roy

T-Roy

I drove my car last night and again to work this morning. I'll keep an eye on it, but everything looks to be dry. At this time I don't have a pcv installed, but with some of the creative ideas I've seen at installing one, that could change. Thanks for the responses!

20. jonny o

jonny o

Carry a fire extinguisher? Get that oil hot and smooth and take it to high rpm and it might be a different story.

Not saying it won't work, just be careful man.

21. T-Roy

T-Roy

Got an extinguisher in the front seat with me too. After driving to and from work today, still no oil from the breathers.