Register now to get rid of these ads!

Official Vintage Torque Fest Thread May 4-5 2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Jun 10, 2011.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

we sure do like busting John's balls, don't we

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

heck yes it is a track...and a great clay oval, too. Been there, done that.

4. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

High banked 3/8 mile i believe.

5. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree that the Highway 64 / Grant Wood Scenic Byway is a great road to take to Maqouketa. I plan on taking at least some two lane county roads instead of the four lane on the way to Dubuque just to find out what else there is to see out there.

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I'll miss the small town atmosphere of Maquoketa and the easy drive, (I only had to back out of my driveway and go west). However, the move to Dubuque is completely understandable, given the growth of this show, and other things. Plus I'll still be crossing the nifty bridge at Sabula. :cool::cool::cool:

7. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

People that were at the show understand why we had to move - there is simply no room if we get ANY growth at all in 2013. We ran out of parking for spectator cars, we need more room for swap meet spots, there was NO room for spectator motorcycle parking, the hotels were sold out in January. Maquoketa did an amazing job at getting us in there and helping out. The Coronados busted their butts behind the scenes and are always welcome at our event. I am doubting they will want to come on in an official capacity next year though. Yes there is a track and yes we will have access to it.
    The Dubuque Chamber of Commerce was calling us before the show.....
    and then they had several reps come TO the show.
    They were VERY excited about the event.
    We will be working WITH the Chamber to make this an event that the city of Dubuque welcomes and there will be police cooperation with an open header parade / cruise.
    We are a full year away but already planning things to make the move a PLUS. Of course we want to stay in Maquoketa, but I have know heard of 12 people that did NOT show up to the show due to no hotels.
    I have met with the Harley Dealership in Dubuque and one of the first things they told me was that they had a group of employees ride down on Saturday and when they got there - they looked at the motorcycle parking area......and decided to keep on going because it was so full.
    That was 11 people that we did not get to come to the show as spectators.
    So we HAD to move the show.
    I know there are some that are grumbling about the move - but I hope you understand we will do everythign in our power to make the move a positive and bring even MORE to the event.

For a different spin on this - please read my good friend Keven Carter's blog:
    http://car-n-art.com/

I talk to Keven at least once a week - sometimes everyday....he knows all the drama behind the scenes.....

8. Speed~On

Speed~On

Hey John,
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Anyone that attended TF 2012 could see attendance was up for both spectators and hot rods. Like any great show (espeically those that are newer) they will continue to grow each year. Moving to a venue of adaquate size is imparavite for numerous reasons. The beauty of the new Debuque location is the event will remain at a fair grounds which gives TF the right atmosphere. The show will continue to have the right "vibe" and allow adaqute space for everything John has planned. I have already heard of many people that will attend TF in 2013 for the first time. Thanks John for having the foresight to make this move. Your hard work has made Torque Fest one of the BEST vintage hot rod events in the country!
    I'm looking forward to 2013!

9. John, sounds like you are onto something there in Iowa!! I wished I would have made the trip with Kev and Rog. If anyone reads Kevs blog and doesn't get it they are idiots! I wish you continued success and I hope the show continues to grow. Good Luck in 2013!

10. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know that Maquoketa was a great fairgrounds. That is why I called John to go there. When we looked at it we thought it was huge and could allow for many years of growth. The public and participants came in droves. This was a good thing. The downside, we out grew the fairgrounds much sooner than anticipated. As for everyone thinking the town was bending over backwards, well, there were certain people who were , but many who were not. It seems that this move will also help resolve the numerous complaints about having to drive 30-40 miles to find a hotel, as there are many in the area of the Dubuque Fairgrounds. As for the scenic drive, that is up to you as there are several alternatives to getting to Dubuque. Everyone just wants the quickest which is never the most scenic. I personally can't wait for the new venue as I know it will be a better fit. Hopefully we can stay there for many years as Dubuque has been wanting Torquefest to go there since the first year in Farley. We had to compromise several things last year to stay in Maquoketa and not move. I could say a lot more as I have sat in on the city council meetings and Fairboard meetings in Maquoketa, sat in with the Coronados meetings, and know the details of the Dubuque deal, but I will keep that to the few of us who need to know. As for the rest of the "Inquiring minds", just know that this move is for the better for both the promoter and the participants.
    Before anyone starts to bitch about moving, remember what this show is truly about. There is a little girl named Hannah that needs lots of medical help and the auction benefits her medical trust. John's goal for the show is to generate enough money for the Helping Hannah's Heart Foundation which he and Kim wanted to form to help other families going through what they have.www.helpinghannahsheart.org

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  11. Bob, I was questioning 36cab's comment.,...not that it matters much now, I liked the last move from Farley to Maquoketa; this move looks like a no brainer....and it's only 10 minutes further for me.

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

It makes it closer for me by thirty minutes, but that really makes no difference.

The venue and the community will better serve the participants.

I propose a cruise to East Dubuque.

13. Bob,...I'll be talkin with John Wells about a cruz to the fairgrounds sometime soon so we can check out the new venue and see where John would like to set up the swapmeet, show area, etc. It will depend on John's schedule and availability to get onto the grounds when there aren't any other activities going on. I'll keep everyone posted.

14. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

We all know why East Dubuque will be popular! :D

15. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

Yep, we use to race hobby stock there in high school. Of course that was 20 years ago. Haven't been back to that track since. We had a G-body powered by a stock '64 326 Pontiac that came out of my '64 Tempest! That thing put a hurtin' on the 350 SBCs!

16. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The city council ran all of the topless bars out of business last I knew. That was last year though so maybe they are back but I doubt it. They are trying to make it a family town.

17. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

Well, that shows how long it's been since I've been to East Dubuque. :rolleyes:

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

19. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I seem to recall some guys telling me the 2010 Torque Fest was the LAST night (April 30, 2010) for many of those kind of bars in the area - and since it was the last night all these former workers at these clubs came out to strut their stuff one last time.....
    One guy told me it was the greatest night of his life - in the worst way.
    Said there were grandmas in there showing everything off - visions he will never erase from his mind.
    ha
    I just laughed....

20. Aw yes, East Dubuque!!!:D

21. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

John, many may be selfish as to your decision to move to a larger venue taking an approach to "selling out" and it all being about the $$$. But that is what it is all about for this cause right? Helping Hannah's Heart. It is the beast of both worlds but the main focus is getting as many "like" people together (whether you are an easy going rodder or a hater rodder) you money is going to a cause. Long live Torque Fest and it's true meaning to making every day special for Hannah!

22. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Is there any official or preferred site of pictures of the VTF 2012? A bunch of car shots and car/girly shots were taken by photographers that said they would be posting shots on the VTF site. BILL RINALDI

23. Beau

Beau

Well, I just got a package from Speedway Motors in the mail yesterday. At first I was wondering why they would send me the catalog in a Priority Envelope.

I opened it up to find out that I had won the $100 Gift certificate that Speedway was giving away!

I was super excited! I never win anything!

24. Hotrod Randy

Hotrod Randy
    from Illinois

Picture #15 is mine! Its a deuce 3-window with a flathead. I live in Illinois, near Joliet. Hotrod Randy