Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official Vintage Torque Fest Thread May 3-4, 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Speed~On

Speed~On

Another awesome Torque Fest and I see many others feel the same. This year was pretty special for me as my father and brother drove down from Minnesota. I've been a T.F. participant for years and have tried to describe the event to them. They just had to make the pilgrimage to Iowa to see first hand what I've been yappin' about for years.

As first time Torque Fest participants they were blown away. It really is like no other show. Friday night the VooDoo Kings CC put on one hell of a crazy flame throwing show. The look on my family's faces was priceless, I looked at them and said, "Welcome to Torque Fest!" My brother loved all the minibikes. They can't wait for 2014, this is now a "must attend" event for them, which is great. I pre-registered my Model A, unfortunatly bringing it to Iowa just wasn't in the cards this year.

To all the car clubs, you guys and gals ROCK! As every year, everyone is super nice. Thanks John Wells and all the volunteers!

Ohh, and Hotroded is one kool cat!!

2. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry Brock, the weekend's still kind of a blur. I knew it was a three way anyhow. And yes those cherries were pretty wicked. And Bob's beverage was pretty smooth as well. And as for the sheep loving Ed, hope to see you again next year.

3. Sorry I don't remember you I was agh mesmerized but a the art work yeah yeah that's it! And yes the cherries were good!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. von zipper

von zipper

Why do both the buzz kills have Camaros??? I think they expected a normal show! That's one thing this show ain't! Last year I took my Ranchero,and had a killer time! This year I brought my Galaxie after doing a last minute scramble to have it ready! Although,there was rain on Friday, it was a fantastic show on Saturday! Met some cool people,put faces to HAMB names, drank some interesting drinks,and saw more interesting cars,and people! I went to a Goodguys show in Joliet years ago as a spectator, charged too much to get in,you couldn't even bring water in! (and it was like 90* out!) charged for everything! It cost me $75 for almost nothing! THIS SHOW KICKS ASS!!! We will be back again! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367890662.592487.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367890716.061095.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367890815.148592.jpg

5. Dude thanks

6. Reiss'Pieces

Reiss'Pieces

That's me..!! Thanks for the heads up on that! I'm sure we'll be using one on the 28 sedan we're building for my buddy. I'm sure I'll be asking you many more questions!

7. Mertaw

Mertaw

36cab my old man & I enjoyed talking to you probably the most. You and your brother deserve kudos. I'm sure your dad is as happy to have his car back on the road after dreaming of it for so many years. You may not remember talking to us as i'm sure you talked to plenty of people on that car. My dad & I own the 40 McCoy clone. Dad bought it in 1958 the same year Bob McCoy's '40 was on the cover of Hot Rod. Dad was dragging it back in the 50's and 60's but parked it in 1963 due to new family. Every car show and swap meet since I was born he talked about his dream of having his car look like Bob McCoy's. All that ever stayed in the garage was a rusty old '40 and a lot of swap meet parts 'til I got involved a couple of years ago. Been an expensive couple of years but the smile on his face and the tears in his eyes when he accepted that Mauer & Willis award for longevity was worth every penny. It was great to run into someone that thinks the way I do! Sorry your dad's not able to drive that '36, but glad to hear he gets to ride at least. Mom & Dad are making a trip on route 66 to meet Bob McCoy in San Diego this fall. Hope he keeps the shiny side up. Not sure how long my dad will be behind the wheel of the '40, but I pay the insurance to find out! See you next year.
    Terry & Paul Mertens

8. Speed~On

Speed~On

That's cool you're a HAMBer now Reiss'Pieces. I'm sure I speak for many when I say your "Rumbler" is awesome! I really enjoyed looking at it.

Mertaw, the interior in your 40 is super nice. I was looking for you on Friday however, you must have been keepin dry and warm in one of the buildings:D

9. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Bob. I have seen you at different shows over the years and I knew who you were from the HAMB but this was the first time I actually got to talk to you for any length of time. I am putting together a build thread with photos of the cabriolet. Next time I see you I'll tell you the story of how my dad was born in Wisconsin (I have Cheesehead blood in me), moved to California and finally ended up in Iowa. It is like one of those Lifetime sad movies that make women weep.

And I'll be picking your brain on drag cars. Now that the 36 is pretty much done, I can start on my 48 Austin 2-dr that has been in storage since 1977.

10. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I do remember talking to you and your dad but I am terrible with names and faces. Reintroduce yourself the next time you see me. To tell you the truth, I was pretty tired on Saturday and don't remember a lot of Saturday afternoon. Helping to set up the show Wednesday through noon on Friday took a toll on me as I am not a young kid anymore. Plus my feet were really in pain from burning my soles laying out the black-top on Wednesday (yes, it was that HOT on Wednesday!).

We should get the two old guys together with their cars and do a photo shoot. And take a look at my album. My dad had a flamed 40 Ford Standard Tudor in the early 50s.

11. Yeah most people avoid bob all the time and for pickin his brain good luck finding it he's as sharp as marble! Haha I couldn't resist bob!

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sounds like fun, Steve

I may have just the rear-end you will need.

and a blown/injected 327

how about a clutch turbo?

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

now be nice Hotrodeo! I was nice to you all weekend. And I have secrets to tell.

14. Oh really next time we see each other we can sit down and see which ones are good secrets!

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sounds like a plan Hotrodeo

16. Mertaw

Mertaw

Bob it was great to meet you at breakfast on Friday. You may not remember Sat night fairly late at the hotel I told you about meeting a HAMBer in the court yard of the royal palace in Madrid Spain last year. Who would've thought? Or you might remember, but it just came to me that I told you about it that night. I may have been slightly inebriated....

17. Mertaw

Mertaw

Or more than slightly....

18. not dead yet

not dead yet

First chance I have had to say thank you John, Steve and the crew. A great weekend. I an 68 (hence the avatar )and have been a part of the rod scene a long time...at one time the idea behind the rod scene was lost but thanks to your efforts it is coming back. I did want to set something straight for the people who bought my art work at the auction ( the pen and ink, acrylic paintings of the flat head/beehive oil filter and roadster with 40's road map) was an original art work. There is only one. I am pleased with the outcome and glad the people enjoyed the work. Helping Hanna Foundation is definitely a worthy cause. Again congratulations on a fine show.

19. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

What a freakin blast man! Had a wonderful time tossin em back with VooDoo Larry and a couple of his gang-one owned the purple and white Buick, and the other was a prospect. All three great guys. Went back to Waterloo Saturday morning and got my model A, and really enjoyed the rest of my time there! Met a dude from NY in a Henry J with a mini bike-was freakin nuts but really kool! Very good time man!!

20. Yes we were all abit juiced up this weekend it was good meeting you plowboy13 we have to sit and do it again soon

21. Hey plowboy i seen your coupe hid under the bleachers with my t bucket n never seen ya man!

22. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I have sent you a private message asking details about what you witnessed, but you have yet to respond.....
    Please email me at [email protected]

To my knowledge, I only went off on one person this year and that was the lead of the paid security - for reasons that do not need to be discussed publicly.
    Also - Mitch Huffington is the lead volunteer coordinator, and in the past he has had to put out fires that I started.... This year EVERYONE seemed to be in a good mood despite the terrible weather. He did not have to calm anyone down or apologize for my actions to volunteers. I am wondering if you are thinking of a different year?
    And talking to customers - I only have good things to say. Now if people are acting stupid and need to be yelled at - Yeah - that is my job. I am the guy that has his house on the line if some kid gets hit and sues us.
    So if I yell at some mini bikers for going too fast or not wearing a helmet - then I am guilty. And you can get over it, because 99% of the time the people I yell at for doing stupid stuff come back to me the next day or the next show and apologize for endangering the show.
    Every year people do stupid things and the foundation has to pay for them. As a result it means less money that goes to help kids like Race Essl. So congrats on taking money out of some kids medical deductible funds.

98% of the time I am in a good mood and pretty easy going. The other 2% - I am a total asshole. I get it. It is a character flaw. Sorry I can't be perfect. If you are getting wrapped up in the way I act as a reflection of the show, then you are getting this entire show wrong.
    Yes I am the lead coordinator for the show, but this show is MUCH bigger.
    Were you even there for the first adopted family presentation?
    THAT is what this is all about man.
    Take a look around and see that we are trying to help families that have kids with heart defects.
    Many will never get that - and I understand....
    but it sure would be nice if people would realize this is a fund raiser to help people out.
    I have a very public schedule, if you would care to talk face to face I will be at a show in a town near you soon.

23. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Damn I never saw your rod under there! Must have been when I passed out! You commin over for the 4th Street Cruise this year? We're having a Rod Tossers Greaser Party!

24. Officer_Bimbeau

Officer_Bimbeau

Want to say Thank You to John and everyone else that helped make this show as awesome as it was....seen some awesome cars, found me a couple parts for my project in the swap meet and mostly just had a hell of a lot of fun!!

Can't wait till next year.......

25. John n Kim we all love ya and know it must be nuts takin on all the nuts n whiners that raise their ugly heads bet we re all standin with you n behind you for the cause man!

26. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those pissing and moaning that $10 or $20 is too much for a show, or anything for that matter, take a moment to listen to this. Then try to call someone who wants to help other people an asshole or whatever. From NPR story on the Wells family.
    http://www.npr.org/2010/12/13/131968225/stitch-in-time-fixing-a-heart-defect-before-birth
    There is a bigger picture in life than the narrow scope some people choose to look through. And to all of the supporters, THANK YOU for making this a success year after year.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  27. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

The cry babaies reminded me of what I told my wife and brother Friday night when it was pouring out. I told them at least we didn't drive all day to get to a race and have it called for rain. I spent the last 4-5 years driving through out the mid west racing in a diesel association, and 40% of our races were snowed or rained out. I would have paid what ever the gate fee is to come back to Torque Fest in the snow and rain. It was a blast and it goes to a great cause.

Good guys has been brought up several times. People always complain about gate fees there, but they continue to go spectate. All that money doesn't go to helping children, if any does.

28. I gotta say This was my first VTF and I had a blast.

After finding out my coupe wasn't going to be ready to drive to the show I almost threw in the towel. I decided to make the trip even having to tow the car. When I got there and saw the weather, I wondered if the 12 hour drive (and sleeping in the truck the night before) was a wise decision.

I'm hear to say it was worth it!!! I met some of the coolest people and had a really good time. The show was great even with the rain. I'm sure the car count and even the car quality may have been impacted by the weather, but the people and the tin that did show up were great. I met so many HAMB folks that I couldn't list them all if I tried. I would like to thank all the people who I got to hang out and chat with for making this a really great experience. One which won't soon be forgotten.

I do need to thank BOB K. for hauling my happy ass around in the '52 Chevy all weekend as my car was inside the building. I had the coolest cab and the best cabby ever.

Good time - GOOD TIMES!!!

29. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Daddy O, I never saw you near your coupe, but I have to say, your car is fricken awesome! You did a great job on it! I loved being able to finally see it in person!

30. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

hey John, don't ever feel bad about your character flaw.

can you imagine if you were mad 98% of the time, like I am?!

damn Italian heritage....